Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The purpose of this thread is to see if there is a noticable difference in american gasoline with and without ethanol.

So I went to Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada to find a local source of ethanol free gasoline. There is a station that sells it not far from my son's elementary school. I decided to forego filling up before work Tuesday, and did the whole 80 mile round trip commute with only two bars left on the gas gauge! The trip computer said I had 80 miles to empty, then 60, --then the low fuel indicator light cam on, then 50 mile to empty. By the time I got to the school I was getting nervous that I would run out of gas. I didnt, and me and my son headed to the gas station. We found this:

I was excited to finally find the alcohol free gas, but wasnt too happy with the price. I really want to try this milage expiriment so I decided to go ahead and fill up...kept it full blast until the auto-shutoff stopped the flow. My son posing:

How much was that again? $62.77 USD for 14.2 gallons. Dang.

I was getting about 27 or 28 MPG (the XV's computer) on regular octane gasoline with 10% ethanol. I drive pretty hard and have lots of traffic. I am curious to see if I will get a MPG improvement with this 90 octane ethanol free gas.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Ok, I reset my "B" mileage and drove in to work today. Total was 29 miles. I have not reset my "A" mileage since I got the XV Crosstrek.

This is my A average MPG:

This is the odometer:

And this is the B average MPG:

If the numbers stay like this I will be very happy!!!!! Its only 29 miles though. We'll see how long it lasts. Initial impression: the engine felt more smooth. Not sure if it is just psycological, or there really is a difference so take that how you want. I got out of a traffic jam and decided to punch it...the motor felt strong and I wound it up to 5k RPM. Felt faster. Not sure though without actually timing the vehicle.

One thing I do know is that you get more energy from pure gasoline ounce per ounce that you do from gas with ethanol added. Some quick internet googling: The energy content of 1.0 US gallon of ethanol is 76,100 BTU, compared to 114,100 BTU for gasoline. 1.5 gallons of ethanol has the same energy content as 1.0 gallon of gasoline. So I believe gas cut with ethanol is weaker thus giving poorer mileage.

We will see what the rest of the week brings.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Awesome. Just found out there's an ethanol-free station not far from my house. I'll have to give this a try on my next fill-up.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome. Just found out there's an ethanol-free station not far from my house. I'll have to give this a try on my next fill-up.
Please feel free to add to the thread with your results. I am gonna try to update daily and then follow up with a tank of regular 10% ethanol gas.

·
Registered
346 Posts
OK wise electric guru ":)", have you done any modifications such as switching air filters or muffler?
This will be interesting to see results.

·
Registered
61 Posts
My single trial experiment with ethanol free gas suggests that it's a wash. I got about a 10% mileage boost, but it cost me about 10% more.

Still it does let you go farther between fillups, so I guess that's some benefit.

And it makes a statement about the corn-for-fuel political juggernaut, if you care about that sort of thing.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK wise electric guru ":)", have you done any modifications such as switching air filters or muffler?
This will be interesting to see results.
Zero mods on the engine and it will probably stay that way. BTW, they have a few gas staions in your town that sell ethanol free gas. Give it a shot if you want.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My single trial experiment with ethanol free gas suggests that it's a wash. I got about a 10% mileage boost, but it cost me about 10% more.

Still it does let you go farther between fillups, so I guess that's some benefit.

And it makes a statement about the corn-for-fuel political juggernaut, if you care about that sort of thing.
Yeah, I was thinking it might be a wash because of the price per gallon. But its fun to try it and see the results...

·
Registered
346 Posts
Zero mods on the engine and it will probably stay that way. BTW, they have a few gas staions in your town that sell ethanol free gas. Give it a shot if you want.
I went on that link you provided and saw that. Thanks! Just might give it a try.
I remember when none of the gas had that stuff...oops I'm showing age.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have been also putting ethanol free gas into xv, it seems to have more power. Each trip gives me from 6l/100km to
8//100km. Current total average is 8.4l/100km

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
no, just using the XV's computer. I realize the computer is "optimistic." I could probably go back and manually calc it from the numbers posted.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Wednesday night: Out of gas and had to refuel. 29.1 MPG and a grand total of 395.5 miles. The low fuel indicator came on at least 25 miles out. Zero bars were left on the gas gauge when I arrived at the gas station! The miles to empty still read "40" miles though. I was nervous I was gonna run out, but this thing can go a long time after the low fuel light comes on. I really wanted to see If I could get to 400 miles on that tank. Probably could have. So the pic:

And the fill up with regular:

Findings:
Originally I purchased 14.2 gallons of 90 octane ethanol free gasoline at $62.77 USD and got 29.1 MPG average on that tank. I dont drive like your grandma either. Yesterday was 14.87 gallons of 87 with 10% ethanol at $48.62 USD and todays MPG is 27.6. The ethanol free might not be worth it at least not at the price that is available to me but is does yeild noticeably better milage. I expected it to, but nothing earth shattering here.

The overall average MPG of the life of the car (the "A" mileage) after this one ethanol free tank has increased from 27.3 to 27.6 MPG.

I will continue to monitor the mileage on the vechicle with this fresh tank of regular corn added gas. I will search for lower priced ethanol free gas as well.

Side note: The gas tank is 60 liters which is 15.85 US gallons.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts