Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here adapted gas struts for the engine hood ?.
Of course, I would still use the hood holder for safety.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru XV Crosstrek
12 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
I have some ordered from Aliexpress that are waiting to go on my MY18 once it gets a bit warmer to work in the garage. Looks like a very easy nut&bolt install.

·
Registered
2018 Lifted 6-speed Crosstrek
1,577 Posts
I did this on my Tacoma. I will end up doing it on the Crosstrek as well. I like how easy it makes it for opening the hood. I have shoulder issues so anything that helps is good. I went with the Redline Tuning set. Takes about and hour to install and works amazing.
I saw this kit a couple years ago when I was thinking about putting them on.

I dont like the fact that you have to drill and rivet the bases into the hood. And the price seems a bit high for the extra work needed to install.

Just my thoughts on it.

I ended up ordering a set off ebay a while back. It should be here any day now. It will just use bolts with no extra drilling.

·
Registered
18 Crosstrek Base 6MT
4 Posts
I literally just ordered the Redline kit this morning! I was not too terribly concerned about drilling holes. 28 years in the Navy in aviation maintenance departments have taught me how to drill holes in metal. Though nuts and bolts would sure be easier I guess. Drilling will expose bare metal, but it is not a moveable device once installed. Judicious application of corrosion control (paint) should negate any rust/corrosion issues.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I saw this kit a couple years ago when I was thinking about putting them on.

I dont like the fact that you have to drill and rivet the bases into the hood. And the price seems a bit high for the extra work needed to install.

Just my thoughts on it.

I ended up ordering a set off ebay a while back. It should be here any day now. It will just use bolts with no extra drilling.
Keep is posted. Interested but not if I have to drill. I would screw something up.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru XV Crosstrek
12 Posts
Keep is posted. Interested but not if I have to drill. I would screw something up.
I was thinking the same thing when I got it for my truck. It was actually really easy and not a hassle at all. For someone with shoulder issues not having to hold the hood up to put the bar in place is amazing

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have the redline tuning kit for the Cobra. It's a nice kit, but way over priced, and you have to drill though the chassis. The self-tapping metal screws all rusted over and it looks ugly. I'd like to find a kit for the Crosstrek that a) doesn't require drilling into the metal, or if it does, uses stainless bolts and b) allows the hood to be fully propped at the close to 90 degree point.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Mine finally arrived and I got them installed yesterday. Made a thread with pics for install since they did not come with any. Im happy with them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mine finally arrived and I got them installed yesterday. Made a thread with pics for install since they did not come with any. Im happy with them.

I love the tires and wheels on your car! Can you give me the info as to what they are tires and wheels? I would like to bolt those onto my 2019 Crosstrek Plug-in hybrid. I know they are not the recommended low rolling resistance tires recommended for the plug in hybrid but I don't care. I would think they should bolt on and clearance would be the same?

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
I love the tires and wheels on your car! Can you give me the info as to what they are tires and wheels? I would like to bolt those onto my 2019 Crosstrek Plug-in hybrid. I know they are not the recommended low rolling resistance tires recommended for the plug in hybrid but I don't care. I would think they should bolt on and clearance would be the same?
Wheels - Method 502 VT Spec
Tires - BFG KO2

Kinda really depends more on the tire size you go with. I went with the largest that would fit without cutting/hammering the wheel wells.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Awesome thank you! I'll have to do some research on the size that would fit my Crosstrek. The size of the stock tires on my car are Falken 225 55 R18. Do you have any pics of your car looking at it from the side?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts