Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife's 2018 crosstrek just had it's high pressure fuel pump replaced due to gas in the oil. A lot of gas was getting in about 1litre in 4000km the car has 15500km on it. She drives very little and mostly city driving. I am concerned with the engine bearings, the dealer said don't worry if there was a problem I would have heard engine noise by now. What is the consensus, she plans to keep the car long term.

·
Needs a Butch car
2020 Crosstrek Premium
979 Posts
I'm not sure how the high pressure fuel pump would get gas in the oil. I could imagine blow by getting into the oil tho, which is not uncommon in direct injection engines. Waiting for audible noises isn't really how that works.

Is she bringing the car all the way up to temp each time she drives? short trips without getting to operating temperatures are very hard on cars and can lessen their lifespan.

For peace of mind, you could send samples of your oil to Blackstone for analysis. Since they're an independent third party, it would backup any claims you might have of ongoing issues. Hopefully they'll just report that your engine is health tho.

I would also suggest keeping track of your oil level on the dipstick regularly. If it's increasing without adding oil, that likely indicates blow by getting into the oil.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The car is stored in underground parking the temp never drops below freezing and her trips are at least 10km the temp light goes out within a 1or 2 km of leaving the parking garage. The dealer saiid the fuel pump is driven by the cam shaft and the side against the cam shaft had a strong gas smell. They did a overnight pressure test on the fuel pump and found a large drop. Replaced the pump and the pressure test showed little or no pressure drop. I now keep a very close eye on the oil level. Because of her low mileage I was doing a oil change twice a year so about every 2500km and didn't check the oil level before draining it my fault.

·
Registered
2019 Limited with Eyesight
410 Posts
Thanks for sharing that mate. Short trips are very hard on cars.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
11,664 Posts
I'm with @Sarang and wondering how these are related. Ours is also low mileage and only used for short trips these days, sadly. I had a Blackstone analysis done and fuel in the oil wasn't an issue.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2019 Crosstrek Limited
1,351 Posts
Oil dilution seems to be more common in very cold climates. At least that is what Honda says.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Crosstrek Limited
777 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
I'm not sure how the high pressure fuel pump would get gas in the oil.
Since the pump is cam-driven maybe there was an internal leak from the pump that was causing fuel to get into the oil.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I find the all-in-one-style (IE no separate fuel filter, etc..) fuel pump assemblies horrid. Had to replace the fuel pump on the previous MY11 Outback at 37k, clogged filter screen and the assembly on our MY02 Boxster at 60 or 70k.
It's not the engine bearings that concern me(per say). Its the washing down the cylinder walls and eating away the rings/cylinder wall coating along with the damage to the cats(or cat for the Crosstrek). Old mechanical injection cars had this issue if you didn't keep the cars in a proper state of tune(IE old Alfa's, mechanical injected 911's, etc..).
I just expect to replace the fuel pump assembly on the families MY18 due to clogging of the filter. I can tell when it starts to happen(hard starting, lumpy idle at stops, poor performance, poor detonation quality, can't hold rest pressure, etc..). Thankfully, they are not too bad to replace.
regards

·
Prefers non-orange cars
11,664 Posts
Our '18 is doing well, I think. Anything to look out for?

·
Registered
2018 Crosstrek Premium, Sunshine Orange
279 Posts
the dealer said don't worry if there was a problem I would have heard engine noise by now.
Hah. If you are hearing "noise" from the engine you would be well past the point of having damage to bearings. But that sounds like the sort of answer I would expect from the service department at a dealership.

It may be worth having an oil analysis done to look for debris from the bearings. If the oil is fresh, I'd give run a couple thousand km to allow plenty of time for debris to appear.

·
Registered
777 Posts
It's not the engine bearings that concern me(per say). Its the washing down the cylinder walls and eating away the rings/cylinder wall coating along with the damage to the cats(or cat for the Crosstrek).
The only solution to this problem is more frequent oil changes IF there's a high concentration of fuel found in the oil. Like others have said, you need to get your oil tested to find out because it varies case by case.

·
Registered
220 Posts
The only solution to this problem is more frequent oil changes IF there's a high concentration of fuel found in the oil. Like others have said, you need to get your oil tested to find out because it varies case by case.
It's fine to do an oil change, but it does not deal with the fundamental problem that the design of the fuel pump assembly is bad. It does not reliably deliver a long service life of proper rest pressure and running pressure. This leads to all sorts of issues as discussed above. The pump is basically a "filter", and filters need to be periodically changed as they clog. What the manufacturers have done, is shift more cost onto the consumer whilst producing a lower quality vehicle(easier to produce, less parts, sells more parts and service).
I don't need an oil test to tell me our pump is on it''s way out. It's very evident, most people are just not a tuned to it.
regards

·
Registered
686 Posts
I wouldn't worry about your bearings. Two cycle motors are and were used in chain saws, snow blowers, motorcycles, even early Saab cars. Most used a small amount of oil mixed in with the fuel in a 20-50:1 ratio of lubrication for all internal parts, crank, rod, piston, etc. These generally used ball, roller and needle bearings rather than plain shell bearings. But occasional fuel mixed in oil should not be a concern on a DD.

I put my trust in Subaru 100%. I feel confident that they build a very high quality car and have the customers best interest at heart. Years after my warranty expired on my '13, they replaced all the valve springs at no charge to me, gave me a brand new Outback as a loaner for a week. The '20 and '21 C8 Corvettes have a known valve spring issue and GM will do nothing until they break and make noise or lock up the motor.

·
Registered
2019 Crosstrek Premium
27 Posts
I find the all-in-one-style (IE no separate fuel filter, etc..) fuel pump assemblies horrid. Had to replace the fuel pump on the previous MY11 Outback at 37k, clogged filter screen and the assembly on our MY02 Boxster at 60 or 70k.

I just expect to replace the fuel pump assembly on the families MY18 due to clogging of the filter. I can tell when it starts to happen(hard starting, lumpy idle at stops, poor performance, poor detonation quality, can't hold rest pressure, etc..). Thankfully, they are not too bad to replace.
regards
Maybe I'm missing something but, when perusing the parts catalog, I noticed that there wasn't any type of fuel filter, or fabric sock-type of screen, on the suction side. That makes me suspect that there is only a microparticle-filter inside the pump itself on the high pressure side. Without an upstream filter of any type, I suspect the pump will fail sooner than it needs too after the microfilter clogs up.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Maybe I'm missing something but, when perusing the parts catalog, I noticed that there wasn't any type of fuel filter, or fabric sock-type of screen, on the suction side. That makes me suspect that there is only a microparticle-filter inside the pump itself on the high pressure side. Without an upstream filter of any type, I suspect the pump will fail sooner than it needs too after the microfilter clogs up.
That screen on the assembly is it. Just consider the assembly as a "maintenance" item. One of my old Audi's back in the day used to have a fuel filter that was almost the size of an old style coffee can. Supposedly, you can replace them. It's been my experience that by then:
1) the plastic in the assembly is quite brittle from the petrol and breaks very easily
2) the pump it is burned out from being starved or dry surged by that time
I just replace the whole assembly which is fairly plug and play, albeit with fumes.
regards

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Limited
600 Posts
Would someone with the proper skills investigate this problem and develop a How-To on adding an in-line fuel filter to the fuel line between the tank and engine.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
11,664 Posts
Yeah, I've had cars with an inline fuel filter that could be replaced at service intervals, like you'd change the oil filter.

Reactions: rickeroo
1 - 19 of 19 Posts