Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2016 Crosstrek and I was wondering if its normal for the "full auto" to change to "auto" after a certain amount of time without me pressing anything? It only started doing this recently and I dont understand why it wouldnt just stay in "full auto" if I dont adjust anything. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
531 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean by 'full auto' My 2015 has auto which is on all the time. Depending on the engine temperature and the conditions in the car, temperature and humidity, the climate control will automatically change to various states.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 2016 has a "full auto" function where everything is controlled automatically to obtain a set temperature. When one adjusts the fan speed or mode, it will switch to "auto" which will still regulate the temperature but at a particular mode or fan speed set by the user. What I dont understand is why the "full auto" would switch to "auto" without any adjusting of the controls. Could not find anything in the manual. It doesnt appear to be a major problem since the temperature is still being regulated but it almost seems like a computer glitch to have it switch over for no apparent reason.

·
Premium Member
8,378 Posts
Yes it does - it's completely normal since the car was introduced in 2013. I know I have a 2013 and it does exactly what you are seeing.

If you look carefully when it does the switch, you'll notice that the A/C light comes on once FULL Auto is engaged automatically. I believe it does this behaviour when the car starts up and finds it needs to produce heat (ie. the cabin is cold) and once the cabin temperature gets up to a reasonable amount, FULL Auto with A/C kicks in (or at least the A/C light).

Initially when I first got my car, I thought I would just turn off the A/C every time since I don't what it clicking on in the middle of Winter and eating into my fuel economy but after a few years of ownership now, I leave it be and haven't noticed that it clicks in unpredictably.

BTW> Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the response! So from what I understand, FULL auto gets the cabin to the desired temperature, and once this is achieved the FULL icon will disappear and it will just be in auto? Because on mine when the switch happens, it switches from FULL auto to just auto.

·
Registered
531 Posts
The A/C (Air Conditioning) usually will come on at some point when the control is set to auto. On a cold day A/C may come on if there's humidity in the car. It will stay on until the humidity clears then shuts off. The same can be said for rainy and snowy day where moisture can be brought into the car. Of course on a hot day the A/C will just stay on.

·
Premium Member
8,378 Posts
Thanks for the response! So from what I understand, FULL auto gets the cabin to the desired temperature, and once this is achieved the FULL icon will disappear and it will just be in auto? Because on mine when the switch happens, it switches from FULL auto to just auto.
If I remember correctly, mine is the other way around. During the warm up cycle, it's just AUTO without the A/C light. Once it's been running for a while, then the FULL icon comes on along with the A/C light.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmm interesting, yah mine is doing the opposite of yours. Meh dont think theres anything wrong with the climate control either way. Just like to fully understand how all the electronics work on this thing!

·
Registered
670 Posts
I thought FULL AUTO was always on until you touched something... I didn't realize it switches back into just AUTO afterwards? Full auto drives me crazy! :(

·
Registered
42 Posts
Because of my local climate, setting to full auto almost always causes my car to use the outside air which I hate. There's a lot of old trucks and SUVs, especially old diesel trucks which spout out tons of smelly emissions here in South Texas. That being said, unless it's 3 in the morning with nobody out, or I'm in a rural area, I always push the air circulation button after going full auto (which sends me back to just auto). For a while I was wondering why I was going from full auto to just auto since my previously owned 2014 Impreza stayed in full auto regardless if you recirculated air or not. This might be the reason for going into just auto from full auto for some people here.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts