Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2016 Crosstrek Hybrid recently starting giving false check engine alarms when the fuel level reaches or gets just below a 1/2 tank. The codes say that the exhaust emissions systems needs to be checked and that hill assist is no longer available (it is). The dealer says these are both false alarms and that the fuel tank level sensor needs to be replaced (about $1,000). The fuel tank meter continues to work fine. Also the cruise control will not work in this condition.

All symptoms disappear when I refill the tank, or shortly thereafter.

I do not want to spend that kind of money for this nuisance alarm. My question is can I get one of those inexpensive code checking devices and just clear the code once it pops up?

Any other insight or recommendations welcome!

·
Registered
2019 Crosstrek Plug-in Hybrid
606 Posts
My 2016 Crosstrek Hybrid recently starting giving false check engine alarms when the fuel level reaches or gets just below a 1/2 tank. The codes say that the exhaust emissions systems needs to be checked and that hill assist is no longer available (it is). The dealer says these are both false alarms and that the fuel tank level sensor needs to be replaced (about $1,000). The fuel tank meter continues to work fine. Also the cruise control will not work in this condition.

All symptoms disappear when I refill the tank, or shortly thereafter.

I do not want to spend that kind of money for this nuisance alarm. My question is can I get one of those inexpensive code checking devices and just clear the code once it pops up?

Any other insight or recommendations welcome!
Scan tool might work. Haven't experienced that issue to know for sure. Normally when you clear the code, it has to happen twice for the code to pop up again. The tool is cheap so you might as well give it the ol' college try.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I'd do the following 1st:
1) Get a scanner and check the codes yourself. Clear the codes(DTC's) out of the ECU and see if they return.
2) Check the battery(load and cell test preferably) and charging system(load and non-load). A standard voltmeter would do here for some of the basics.
If the above mentioned items check out and codes are still present, your probably looking at a new fuel pump assembly and regulator. Since your fuel gauge seems to work perfectly fine, the sender is probably fine.
regards

1 - 3 of 3 Posts