Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(2013) Occasionally, in the garage, I'll notice a buzzing sound coming from the car after it's been parked overnight. I haven't paid much attention to it as I was usually on my way and when I got home it would stop. Who knows when it starts or how long it runs. It won't hurt anything other than the pump thinking that it's on a 500 mile trip and the possibility of a dead battery but if a line should break, I'm getting a new car and maybe house too.
It did it again today when I went out this morning. Decided to actually investigate and have good reason to believe that it's the fuel pump. I put the key in the ignition and it stopped. I'm hoping that I have a bad relay though I only found a fuse for it. Has anyone else had this problem? I'm hoping that it's not some electronic BS that's going to cost me a million dollars @ the dealership.

·
Registered
637 Posts
While I can only guess as to what the buzzing is you're hearing, I'll go out on a limb and say I'm pretty sure it's normal. With all the electrical gizmos on cars today I'd say it's probably a pump that clears gas fumes or something? I've read posts almost word for word like the beginning of yours on other forums. My 2012 Abarth and the X5 do the same thing from time to time. Heck, the BMW does it every time you get within a few feet of it. Probably a German way of saying Hello, I don't know. Anyway, I wouldn't worry about it. Someone who knows more about it than I do will chime in, I'm sure.

·
Registered
53 Posts
belchfire,
What you're hearing is normal. The car is running a fuel evaporation test. It pressurizes the system and if a leak in the system is detected, the check engine will come on the next time the car is started. I believe this is explained somewhere in the manual.

·
Registered
2016 Crosstrek Limited
234 Posts
Damn, I thought my hyper blue was just purring at me when I went into the garage....:troll-face-meme-smi

·
Registered
2019 Limited with Eyesight
387 Posts
Yes its the evap system. This is normal for any gas engine.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was worried that Robo-Car was contacting Skynet and was planning to run me over the next time I went out. I worked as an exhibit engineer for many years and most of my mechanisms were mechanical.
The electric boys would then do their magic. After they hit the floor, 90% of the problems were electronic. The only thing electronic on my street rod is the ignition and I always carry a spare control module.

·
Registered
670 Posts
This question seems to pop up every few months... glad we have a good crew of people here to answer it! I was thankful to read that post before hearing something strange while working the vehicle one afternoon! :)

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2019 Crosstrek Limited
1,209 Posts
Just had this happen on a new Crosstrek with 1100 miles. Walked out into the garage tonight and immediately heard a very noticeable buzzing/humming noise. At first I thought I was something outside the closed garage door but tracked it down to the rear of my wife's Crosstrek. Sounded to me like a fuel pump running. I started the engine, revved it briefly and shut it off and the noise was gone and has not yet returned. However the car had been parked in the garage for 9 hours prior to me hearing the noise. When I had driven the car 9 hours earlier, I fueled-up right before driving 5 miles home.

I couldn't sleep thinking about what might be wrong so I got up and did a search on this forum and this thread quickly came up. (Much improved search feature on the new website.) From what I read in this thread the noise I heard is normal, although I could not find anything about it in the fuel section of the owners manual. So, I guess I can go get some rest now.

P.S. Thought I would try the dark mode at this late hour and love it!

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
..., although I could not find anything about it in the fuel section of the owners manual...
Glad you finally got some sleep. The first time my wife heard it, she was putting some recycling in the garage at 2 am. She woke me up worried that my car was about to explode or something.

You'll find the owners manual entry on page 9 of the CDN owners manual. I assume its the same or within a page in the US manual.

'Noise from under the vehicle
NOTE
You may hear a noise from under the vehicle approximately 5 to 10 hours after the ignition switch is turned to the “LOCK”/“OFF” position. However, this does not indicate a malfunction. This noise is caused by the operation of the fuel evaporation leakage checking system and the operation is normal. The noise will stop after approximately 15
minutes.'

P.S. I'm really happy to hear the search function seems to be functional. The old one was horrible.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2019 Crosstrek Limited
1,209 Posts
Thanks Doca. I just found it on page 8 of the US owners manual.

Reactions: Doca

·
Registered
2013 Orange XV Crosstrek
13 Posts
Wow, Finally a clue why the fuel pump was running. Made me worried about leaving it long term anywhere. Got a 2019 Outback loaner that did the same thing while getting my valve spring recall done.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
10,163 Posts
You get extra points for finding the answer in a previous thread, rather than posting a new question! ?

Welcome!!

Reactions: Davztrk

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm a bit late to the party, but it happened to me tonight. Taking out the trash and heard the noise in the garage. Searched for a while and went into panic mode when I finally found the source under the Subie. Couldn't find anything in owner's manual (started with the index). Thanks to all of you I found it on page 8 under general information. Glad to know it's normal.

Thanks everyone! 👍

1 - 14 of 14 Posts