Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there. I'm planning a cross country drive and interested in the possibility to getting one of those fuel carriers. I'm curious in what ways folks mount them to the car other than a rear/tire hitch. I will mod the interior as a mini camper so don't want it in there, but can't imagine a container of gas strapped to the outside of my car either. And what about being in the desert sun and heat? Any safety issues there? Not sure this is the best forum to as this but I figure off roaders and overlanders would know. I have a stock 2017 premium. Also I already have a largish roof box so the roof is out. I've seen a pic somewhere of one mounted in rear side panel somehow with a molly set up. Thoughts? Ideas? Scrap it and just make sure I don't get so into my adventure that I run out of gas?

·
Registered
21 Sport
1,524 Posts
Hi there. I'm planning a cross country drive and interested in the possibility to getting one of those fuel carriers. I'm curious in what ways folks mount them to the car other than a rear/tire hitch. I will mod the interior as a mini camper so don't want it in there, but can't imagine a container of gas strapped to the outside of my car either. And what about being in the desert sun and heat? Any safety issues there? Not sure this is the best forum to as this but I figure off roaders and overlanders would know. I have a stock 2017 premium. Also I already have a largish roof box so the roof is out. I've seen a pic somewhere of one mounted in rear side panel somehow with a molly set up. Thoughts? Ideas? Scrap it and just make sure I don't get so into my adventure that I run out of gas?
i've always thought those cute little gas cans were more decorative than practical like the obligatory traction boards i see strapped to over-accessorized urban 4wds. the crosstrek has a pretty large fuel capacity so i'd skip it :cool:

·
Prefers black cats
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
13,753 Posts
i've always thought those cute little gas cans were more decorative than practical like the obligatory traction boards i see strapped to over-accessorized urban 4wds. the crosstrek has a pretty large fuel capacity so i'd skip it :cool:
Around here I see tricked out Land Rovers etc. with that **** but there's not a scratch on them so they've never been off tarmac...

·
Registered
599 Posts
Here is a link to the You Tube vid showing the set-up Tom uses to mount fuel roto-paks to his Xtrek.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone. I'm really uncomfortable with the idea of driving around with what in my mind is a bomb strapped to my car, but also know myself and am prone to "just one more mile..." type thinking... then I get lost... I do tend to be an over planner though, and that's actually never happened, but this will be a solo cross country round trip drive, and plan to do as many off the beaten paths as I come across. Not sure what to expect so trying to expect the unexpected.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here is a link to the You Tube vid showing the set-up Tom uses to mount fuel roto-paks to his Xtrek.
His using it for water also. thats smart. What keeps people from just stealing these things though? Wondering if anyone has had problems with that.
Also FYI I will be on the road for about 3mos. Open to any other interior mod or other suggestions anyone has for car living.

·
He wasn't there!
16 Crosstrek Premium Quartz Blue Pearl
1,796 Posts
Don't drive long distances with a gas can inside the car. This is what is known as A Very Bad Idea! If you aren't using a roof box or carrier, use a trailer hitch mount.

But, considering the range of a Crosstrek, I really wouldn't consider needing one unless you really intend to be over a day from a gas station.

Reactions: erader and Sarang

·
He wasn't there!
1,796 Posts
Around here I see tricked out Land Rovers etc. with that **** but there's not a scratch on them so they've never been off tarmac...

I used to go by this place that had 4 Hummers out front of a house that cost... Less than 4 Hummers. And they had the roof racks with gas cans in them. This is in a place where the nearest location more than an hour from a gas station was also more than an hour out into the Atlantic Ocean.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Crosstrek Premium
1,502 Posts
Why not just use regular 5 gallon plastic gas cans? I don't see the draw of those rotopax, they're like five times the cost for the fuel capacity and then you have to buy their mounts and adapters...
Jerry cans are cheaper too.

·
He wasn't there!
1,796 Posts
Why not just use regular 5 gallon plastic gas cans? I don't see the draw of those rotopax, they're like five times the cost for the fuel capacity and then you have to buy their mounts and adapters...
Jerry cans are cheaper too.

A little harder to secure, unless you have a roof basket.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts