Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Has anyone patched in a Front View Camera on their Crosstrek? Or, does anyone know of a company that makes a kit to do this?
I don't see you being able to install a second camera integrated with the stock HU. Though I'm sure someone here may of tried something crazy.

However, if you decide to go aftermarket, I've seen some HUs that can connect up to 4 cameras. You would replace your rear camera and just route one up for the front where ever you'd like.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Has anyone patched in a Front View Camera on their Crosstrek? Or, does anyone know of a company that makes a kit to do this?
I've thought of doing this myself. I don't have a back up camera, but a HU capable of taking camera video as an input.

The two big challenge I see are running the cable, and making sure the HU always sees the parking brake on so it enables the video.

If you're just talking about recording, and no seeing what's going on, then I use GoPros, and have discreetly placed the stick on mounts where you can't see them. Any camera in front of the engine has trouble connecting to the dash mounted remote control.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im looking for a front view camera to integrate with the Harmon Kardon/Nav headunit. Doing a search on the ol' interwebs, it seems that the WRX has the ability to integrate a front view camera (used in Japan). Also for Toyota owners, there is a company called anytimebackupcamera.com that makes kits like this. I would think the Subaru system is very similar.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I heard of guys with Toyota's simply patching in a camera to the existing rear view camera and using a rocker to switch between. It does require an override to be installed so that the camera can be turned on while in drive. There's a kit out there for the Tacoma that I have thought about trying to retrofit.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
I heard of guys with Toyota's simply patching in a camera to the existing rear view camera and using a rocker to switch between. It does require an override to be installed so that the camera can be turned on while in drive. There's a kit out there for the Tacoma that I have thought about trying to retrofit.

There’s a trick to accessing the camera while driving, or just not in reverse, that works on the 18’s Gen 3. I think it works on the 19’s Gen 3.1 but can’t remember for sure. The topic died off in oct-nov 18.

Hold the Home button and press the right knob 3 times to enter the factory settings. Let go of the home button before releasing the knob for the third time. Select Camera Settings, scroll down to Camera Settings. Not an ideal solution but it works.

P.S. Hit the home button and press the right knob 6 times to access the dealer menu. Lots of useless data in there.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I was toying with this idea but now I have my Power Folding Mirror project ( mirrors from JDM arrived today) Im doing this first and..... the passenger mirror has the side view camera and Im intending to wire that up to my MFD I want it as close to Factory set up as possible.
(threads on here about the MFD) as the WRX MY that has it.

So my suggestion would be to integrate your FVC to your upper MFD as it seems to be able to display a video image for the WRX side view.......there is an 8 pin plug you need to get though and repin etc and it plugs into the rear of the Upper MFD
Similar to this, but not the exact one referenced on this site in a thread.

Although it is mostly about swapping it out and upgrading the type of MFD for older XV MY's

·
Registered
3 Posts
If the radio is triggered by the REV pin2 on the 28pin plug to switch to the rear camera you could use that wire to trigger the front camera and send the video to the rear camera video input on the 5pin plug.

Rearcamera is on the 5pin plug. Pin 3 white +, Pin 4 - black.

Would need to test pin2 on the 28pin plug. If it goes to 12v when vehicle is put in reverse then cut the wire in half while in reverse to see if it turns the camera off. If it does you're good to go.

You'll need a relay for pin2 on the 28pin plug and then a video switcher like the Boyo VTSW4.
This wire will need to be sent 12v radio side when you want the camera to turn on.

The camera wires will need cut in half also(pin3+4). Radio side will need the output from the video switcher. Male rca to wires for both sides so they can connect to the video switcher.

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
BUMP - has anyone tied a front view camera into the existing Harmon Kardon head unit/backup camera function?

·
Registered
122 Posts
I was considering some options for this idea, as I now have patched in a Side View Camera on my XV (JDM mirror Import) and use the MFD screen as it does in the WRX In fact I have just secured a WRX MFD and View Button ( enter Button) from a MY17 and will replace mine so the SVM guide lines conform to the side view as I cuurently have the guides that are for reversing. Have you considered using your MFD screen for FVC? the WRX MY18 has a newer single screen MFD and there are threads about using a connector harness adaptor to get it to work on earlier models with the two connector type. Check out NASOIC there are projects happening over there as well as threads here.

I was considering this camera

1 - 10 of 10 Posts