Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently took my 2021 Crosstrek Premium on an offroad adventure and hit the bumper on something that knocked the passenger side front corner out of place (see pic attached). Before I take it to a shop, can anyone recommend a fix I could try? I don't have a good space or really many tools to work heavily on the car, but I'm wondering if I can just snap that piece sticking out to help realign the bumper part.

It looks to me like that red piece got bent upward and was originally flat like the other ones on either side of it. If I can break it off, do people who are familiar with that part of the bumper think it's okay like that - or should I leave that part alone? I know I could take off the bumper, but if there is an alternative quick fix that will be fine I'd rather do that for now. Also, I'm not sure if there were clips that fell out as well? At some point I might take the whole thing off and try to figure out what I need, but looking for suggestions in the meantime.

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
You should just pop that side of the bumper off and reattach it.
I was thinking about that, but watching videos it looked like it's connected to the rest of the bumper and I wasn't sure if just loosening that part would be enough to get it back in alignment. Should I just break off that clip piece that is sticking straight up (the rest look like they are flat and that one must have gotten bent upwards - though not sure if it's supposed to be like that)?

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek, 2.5 Liter, Pure Red, Limited
410 Posts
Should I just break off that clip piece that is sticking straight up (the rest look like they are flat and that one must have gotten bent upwards - though not sure if it's supposed to be like that)?
I wouldn't break it off. Instead, I would watch a few videos showing how to take the bumper off, then reattach it. (Look for videos giving instructions on replacing the vehicles horn.)

If a Subaru Mechanic or Body Shop can do it, then it shouldn't be that difficult.

:)

·
Administrator
2021 Crosstrek Limited, Pure Red
5,448 Posts
As far as crunched Crosstrek bumpers go, that one actually doesn’t look too bad at all. I definitely wouldn’t break that tab off, but I’d just try manually prying the panels apart a little farther so that I could push the tab back into place, and then there’s a good chance everything would pop back where it’s supposed to be. You could also take a look under the bumper on the other side to see if any pieces are broken or fasteners missing. (I’d guess probably not.)

Situations like this are an inevitable part of taking a Crosstrek off road, and I did that countless times in my 2013. I actually ended up carrying a supply of small zip ties with me that I could use if the bumper detached too badly during an adventure.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I would not pry that area, knowing my luck the metal fender would get dented or paint chipped somehow. I can't remember exactly from when I installed my fog lights, but there's only a few screws/clips that hold the entire bumper cover on, so just adjusting the right corner shouldn't be very difficult at all.

There are several videos on youtube or posts here regarding bumper removal.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As far as crunched Crosstrek bumpers go, that one actually doesn’t look too bad at all. I definitely wouldn’t break that tab off, but I’d just try manually prying the panels apart a little farther so that I could push the tab back into place, and then there’s a good chance everything would pop back where it’s supposed to be. You could also take a look under the bumper on the other side to see if any pieces are broken or fasteners missing. (I’d guess probably not.)

Situations like this are an inevitable part of taking a Crosstrek off road, and I did that countless times in my 2013. I actually ended up carrying a supply of small zip ties with me that I could use if the bumper detached too badly during an adventure.
Ha! It worked. I just man handled it back in place and everything snapped back in. Thanks for the suggestion. I thought I'd need to unscrew things but there was just enough flexibility in the parts. I did see one screw popped out underneath and I can't get it back in. So my xtrek has it's first battle scars!

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited
2,429 Posts
When the weather is hot it helps.

Reactions: Scoobydoo2

·
Registered
496 Posts
Just remove that corner of the bumper and pop it back under.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts