Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
'21 CGK Sport
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All, just wanted to introduce myself. First time Subaru owner and enjoying every bit of it. My previous ride which WAS my pride & joy (not any more) was an '02 Audi S6 Avant that was pinching my pocket and the environment with it's V8 engine. The decision to move on took three years, but once decided...the Crosstrek was second to none (maybe the Forester, but not by a long shot.)

Now I'm enjoying the ride 8" off the floor and not worry about when I need to refuel as much. This forum was such a help in my purchase of my very first new car and first Subaru. I think...no, I know I made the right decision and enjoying the new ride everyday since I've brought it home 2.5 weeks ago. I'm looking forward to some future Subaru Events and would like to know what I have to look forward too. The first scheduled so far is on the 21st of this month for New Subaru Owners at my dealership. Looking forward to it and making a list of questions to be answered.

Proud New Owner of My First Subaru
-john

·
Registered
2017 Crosstrek Limited
1,597 Posts
Welcome, John. Nothing better to read here than a new excited Crosstrek owner. I'm coming up on five years with mine and still feel the same.

Reactions: ScoobieRama

·
Registered
434 Posts
Congrats and many happy/safe/reliable miles. That's quite a leap, an S6 to Crosstrek. I gave up on Audi years back and the "neediness" along with lack of parts support as they age got tiring. Too bad, as their torsen based quattro system is amazing.
regards

·
Prefers black cats
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
13,234 Posts
Scariest ride of my life was when a business partner picked me up from the airport in Frankfurt in an original Audi Quattro, on the Autobahn, going about 120mph, in rain. That car drove like it was on rails...

·
Registered
263 Posts
Scariest ride of my life was when a business partner picked me up from the airport in Frankfurt in an original Audi Quattro, on the Autobahn, going about 120mph, in rain. That car drove like it was on rails...
I had a 1984 4000s Quattro, manual locking center diff,loved that car, but always wanted a Sport
That said, my wife's Subarus have all had a more responsive AWD system.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Prefers black cats
13,234 Posts
I had a 1984 4000s Quattro, manual locking center diff,loved that car, but always wanted a Sport

It would have been around that time, LOL! Between 82 and 86, not sure exactly when...

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrec Premium
63 Posts
Clothing Jeans Trousers Smile Tree

From a fellow n00b. I'm enjoying this car more every day. Finding out more about it as well, and pretty happy with the package so far.

·
Registered
38 Posts

I had the same year/model Quattro. Lived in the mountains west of Colorado Springs at the time and had a terrible time with snow buildup in the fender wells. Otherwise, loved the overall handling. After about a year, I traded it for my first Subaru! A 1985 RX Turbo. Wish I still had it!!!

·
Registered
'21 CGK Sport
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Welcome, John. Nothing better to read here than a new excited Crosstrek owner. I'm coming up on five years with mine and still feel the same.
Thank you for the welcoming party Sarang & FLCrosstrekker! I know I’ll still be excited about my Crosstrek 5 years from now. Being in NYC, not much of a chance of going off-road, but definitely want to learn how to utilize every bit of the Crosstrek’s capabilities in case I need to use it.

I think with respect to safety, handling, economy and off road there are none better
ADC…thanks for the vote of confidence in the Crosstrek. As mentioned above, I want to learn how to utilize the capabilities of Crosstrek. Driving it daily during the break-in period and keeping tab and notes on all of it’s features. So far it has not fail to impress.

·
Registered
'21 CGK Sport
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Congrats and many happy/safe/reliable miles. That's quite a leap, an S6 to Crosstrek. I gave up on Audi years back and the "neediness" along with lack of parts support as they age got tiring. Too bad, as their torsen based quattro system is amazing.
regards
Thanks 77’911, …Yes and no to your comment about the leap. I think I had always wanted the Crosstrek since it’s introduction and I was hoping to keep the Avant a little longer, but the S6 got into a minor fender bender and started to become more “needy” than usual. Small gremlins started to take over and the rides became more worrisome than enjoyable so when I made the final decision on another vehicle it was always going to be a Subaru. Besides, I have two nieces with new Audi‘s and nephew with a Cayenne…so I can borrow theirs ;) if I ever get the need to drive German.

·
Registered
'21 CGK Sport
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
View attachment 307866
From a fellow n00b. I'm enjoying this car more every day. Finding out more about it as well, and pretty happy with the package so far.
Thanks for the Big HOWDY! Yes I’m quite busy these days going back and forth from my “Getting Started Guide” and my “Owner’s Manual” after my daily drives during this break-in period. I would also check on the forum for any cross referencing if needed…My family thinks I’m a little obsessed with this new car. Ha…if they only knew how enjoyable the drive is.

·
Registered
'21 CGK Sport
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My first drive was a ‘86 Hyundai Excel and ‘85 Honda CRX…no where close to an Audi, but my ex’s brother was obsessing over his Audi Quattro and many year later I know why. There’s a vid on YouTube of an RS6 wagon out-accelerating a Ninja ZX10R motorcycle on the Autobahn. Leave it to the Germans to think it‘s a good idea to have a station wagon with a Lamborghini engine in it.

·
Prefers black cats
13,234 Posts
Thanks for the Big HOWDY! Yes I’m quite busy these days going back and forth from my “Getting Started Guide” and my “Owner’s Manual” after my daily drives during this break-in period. I would also check on the forum for any cross referencing if needed…My family thinks I’m a little obsessed with this new car. Ha…if they only knew how enjoyable the drive is.
LOL, we got ours the evening before Thanksgiving (there was a promotion) then drove it to the family gathering the next day. After the meal, everyone was watching the game and I was reading the manuals... 😸

• Haha
Reactions: ScoobieRama

·
Registered
'21 CGK Sport
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
LOL, we got ours the evening before Thanksgiving (there was a promotion) then drove it to the family gathering the next day. After the meal, everyone was watching the game and I was reading the manuals... 😸
I read that from one of your previous posting on the Owner Manuals! (y)

·
Registered
432 Posts
That CVT gonna drive you nuts for a while, lol. I came from a lineup of v8 trucks. When you need it to go, it will, but unless you give it a little extra, it's an "eco" car. I do like Audi's though. I drove an R8 in Germany on ze autobahn, along with some other models too. Loved em all. Great cars, if you are a German in Deutschland (or some other European countries I guess). Maybe Californians and New Yorkers too... or city dwellers... anyways... Love the RS 6 Avant. But yea, big swap coming to the CT. It would be nice to see them give the CT's a little more STI features, cuz there is definitely a huge market for it, and these cars deserve it. Definitely been a good car to me so far, just hate the CVT doing CVT things. I guess I could have started by asking if you got the manual or automatic... Please don't put exhaust on it, lol.

·
Registered
'21 CGK Sport
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That CVT gonna drive you nuts for a while, lol. I came from a lineup of v8 trucks….I guess I could have started by asking if you got the manual or automatic... Please don't put exhaust on it, lol.
So far the Sport is going to be bone-stock for the time being. So no I’m not putting a rice-burning exhaust on the CT. If you were asking if I had the manual or automatic in the Avant, it is the 5 speed Tiptronic. I had the opportunity to swap it to a 6-speed manual when the original tranny failed on me at @ 235Kkm (146K miles) but kept it stock w/the Tiptronic.

As for the cvt, haven’t really noticed anything peculiar about it yet with the exception of the down shift/lurching when coming to a stop sometimes. I notice it does that when I try to coast to a stop. Nevertheless, it beats having your heart sink when the CEL comes on and the car goes into limp mode due to the tranny giving out in the Avant. But it was a beast and I called it SledJ’hammer. No doubt the Audi’s are fun to drive…especially when you want to go warp speed and step down and activate the kickdown switch. It’s a shame I sold the Avant with only 13K miles on the new tranny…it was just turning into a money pit and the snow and road salt was starting to eat away at my door panels.

The CT is my first “new” car and I won’t be inheriting someone else’s mistakes so I’m trying to do it right as best as I can. Hoping it’ll last me 10+ years. Now to keep an eye and ear on the CVT and the oil consumption issue. (The Audi’s got the same issues too. AND…a lousy design flaw at the battery bay that leaks rain water into the passenger cabin to boot.)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts