Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Crosstrek Limited
370 Posts
Instead of an iPod, I'll bet your whole music collection will fit in either a modern cellphone's memory or on a microUSB card (if the cellphone has a slot for one, many do). You probably already carry a cellphone, now you have one less device to carry and keep charged.

·
Registered
2 Posts
For road trips ('21 Crosstrek Premium), I plug my Ipod Classic into the AUX port and it plays fine. It has a lot of my music and playlists, almost all lossless, (approx. 140GB used, 7 GB free). When the Ipod dies, I'll buy another handheld -- not Ipod, though when it comes to storage and features, Apple seems to be abandoning that old market. There are some very good handhelds out there, some pricey, but with 1 TB card capacity and serious DACs. Some models are equipped with wifi and Bluetooth, useful not only in the car, but to stream or attach (wired), to home systems or headphones as well. The Ipod approach seems old fashioned, I guess, but there's a new generation of devices out there. (I hope soon they'll more commonly integrate with Android Auto so you could use touchscreen controls.) Streaming service subscriptions allow you to download music for personal off line listening.
Other than the Ipod on AUX, I play music in the car from my Android phone, plugged into the USB or AUX, or via Bluetooth, including music stored on the phone (I don't bother with that much, I prefer the Ipod on AUX, music is nicely organized), most any radio station and podcasts (I like the TuneIn Radio app), or music streaming apps (like QoBuz, Amazon Prime Music, Spotify, though these can eat cell plan data). For nav, Google Maps with Android Auto works well (I prefer the integrated navigation on my other car,, however, not as good as Maps, but integrated). I wish the Crosstrek voice command system worked better, instead if sometimes-- for example,, "play WUMB on TuneIn Radio" usually works, if you enunciate. Make sure your favorite apps are installed via Android Auto (using the AA app on your phone).
It's not perfect, but there are easy enough options for me for good music and entertainment driving.

·
Prefers black cats
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
14,531 Posts
It has a lot of my music and playlists, almost all lossless, (approx. 140GB used, 7 GB free).
What format are you using? I have been experimenting with ripping to FLAC but haven't tried it in the Crosstrek yet.

·
Registered
2 Posts
AstroKATS: Most music on my iPod is ALAC (some mp3, mpeg or AAC). The format doesn’t matter to the Crosstrek, of course, since output to the AUX is analog, meaning that the device (iPod, phone, etc.) decodes the music file, and the Crosstrek receives a signal like headphones would.

I don't know if you can play FLAC or ALAC on the Crosstrek from a USB stick. They aren't among formats listed in the supplemental manual (page 172, here's the link: https://techinfo.subaru.com/stis/doc/ownerManual/MSA5M2119A_STIS.pdf

My old iPod will not play FLAC, though I think new iPod touches do (perhaps recoding). I store new music on my PC as FLAC, using jRiver Media Center, having all but totally dropped iTunes. If I want to add new music to the iPod for when I drive, I use iTunes because it's so easy to sync with the iPod. I convert FLAC files to ALAC for iTunes on my PC, since iTunes PC does not play FLAC either. A good free converter is dbPowerAmp. Yeah, this is a bit of work, that will became unnecessary when I spring for a new portable that stores all my music and streams and syncs easily. I guess it's a stupid attachment to the old iPod Classic, which could outlast me!

btw, I did try my IPod classic in the USB slot instead of AUX. The iPod soon froze, with what looked like a broken battery icon on the screen. The iPod worked again after a reset. My theory is that the iPod didn't like charging from the Crosstrek's USB, anyway, I don't want to hurt the classic so won’t try again. I charge using the lighter.

(jRiver, if you're curious, is a powerful media center, oddly documented with a learning curve, but with great features to organize music files and playlists, and it allows me to stream music whole house with DLNA/wifi from the PC, and an Android remote app for my phone.)

21 - 24 of 24 Posts