Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my Crosstrek for a week now, and I've spent a great deal of time dialing in all of the multi-media features. I owned my previous vehicle, a 2007 Mini Cooper S, for nearly 15 years, and was VERY comfortable with the setup: integrated nav, iPod with my full music library hooked up via a dedicated harness in a compartment behind the dash, CD player for new music I had yet to burn to my library, and radio if I got really bored. It was all tied together through a very well thought out in-dash system. I've got to hand it to Mini/BMW. They really put together a tight, seamless system that year.

Setting things up in the Crosstrek this past week reminded my how much things have fragmented since I previously bought a vehicle. If I had to compare it to anything it would be the video streaming market. Back in those dark ages there was only Netflix. Now we have a plethora of streaming services. Automobile apps are in a similar state, and many are marked in the App Store with the dreaded "In App Purchases" tag. There are nav apps with features I like, but not all in the same app, and probably my favorite so far is asking for a subscription. The same goes for streaming audio services that run ads (some unacceptably political) unless you pay to remove them. My trusty iPod, which consolidated all of my music and played continually at no cost and with no intrusive content, is such an old model that the Crosstrek doesn't recognize it. At least I've still got a dedicated CD player.

Bottom line is that I think the Mini was the technology sweet spot for me. I think I would have been closer to that ideal if I'd ponied up for the integrated nav on the Crosstrek. No plugging/unplugging the phone to have nav at my fingertips. Likewise with music. I may still be able to resurrect my iPod via the aux port, but that is an experiment for another day. For the most part though it seems like my relationship with my vehicle will be mediated through my iPhone and a USB cable. I sure will miss the tighter integration on my old ride.

Just a few of my musings.

·
Administrator
2021 Crosstrek Limited, Pure Red
5,020 Posts
I hear ya ... but of course, its just the way technology is evolving in general, not the way Subarus are evolving.

I used an old iPod Classic to listen to my music collection in my 2013 Crosstrek, and it worked great ... and I was bummed to discover that the head unit in the '21 didn't support the old iPod. So I went on eBay and found a newer iPod that the head unit supports, and now it lives in my car for times when I don't want to listen to the radio.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I hear ya ... but of course, its just the way technology is evolving in general, not the way Subarus are evolving.

I used an old iPod Classic to listen to my music collection in my 2013 Crosstrek, and it worked great ... and I was bummed to discover that the head unit in the '21 didn't support the old iPod. So I went on eBay and found a newer iPod that the head unit supports, and now it lives in my car for times when I don't want to listen to the radio.
Indeed, hence my lament. I was spoiled with my last ride.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Store your music on your phone, then you can use AA or CarPlay...
That's pretty much the only choice. Some of my music library is on my phone, but not all of it. I don't mind using CarPlay, but I wish I didn't need the lightning cable to do it. It would be nice if Subaru put out a firmware upgrade that that would let it work with Bluetooth so I can keep the phone in my pocket (like AA users are able to do). It's a hassle to plug/unplug every time I get in/out. I have an XS Max with an Otterbox case. It's oversized and doesn't completely fit in the cubby under the head unit. I can run the cable to center console, but then it's not handy if I need it for non-CarPlay functions (like scanning it when I run through the SBuck drive-thru). It's workable, but more cumbersome than I'd like it to be.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I might sound old-school, but a USB stick with gigabytes of MP3s well aranged in folders does the trick for the car..
It's an option, but not very workable for me. My music library is huge. I've looked at some of the videos here and on YouTube and it seems like there's a lot of fiddling with the .m3u file to get it to work and not have extraneous crud pop up in the display. My library is also not static, so I'd be updating the .m3u file frequently.

The thing I like(d) about the iPod is that I could purchase new music on my iPhone at will and then download it separately to my computer and synch up the iPod. My phone usually has a subset of my library while the iPod has the entire thing.

·
Registered
915 Posts

My original iPod nano battery dead, so i bought used iPod Nano 6th gen to replace and having a backup player :D. Can't really hearing good quality music from radio, so still need iPod to play refreshing music and does not need to meddle with Bluetooth or cable on my phone.

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited
2,192 Posts
My original iPod nano battery dead, so i bought used iPod Nano 6th gen to replace and having a backup player :D. Can't really hearing good quality music from radio, so still need iPod to play refreshing music and does not need to meddle with Bluetooth or cable on my phone.
Do what Bluefoton did in post #6.

Reactions: Skyfix

·
Registered
(soon) 2022 Crosstrek Limited. 2012 Ram 1500 4X4 V8.
67 Posts
My library became impossibly difficult to manage. I was meticulous with folders and separation but it was just too much.

I gave in years ago and started playing for a music service. First Google music until they retired it. Now Amazon music.

Honestly, to me, the monthly fee is worth it.

·
Administrator
2021 Crosstrek Limited, Pure Red
5,020 Posts
It's an option, but not very workable for me. My music library is huge. I've looked at some of the videos here and on YouTube and it seems like there's a lot of fiddling with the .m3u file to get it to work and not have extraneous crud pop up in the display. My library is also not static, so I'd be updating the .m3u file frequently.

The thing I like(d) about the iPod is that I could purchase new music on my iPhone at will and then download it separately to my computer and synch up the iPod. My phone usually has a subset of my library while the iPod has the entire thing.
Pretty much my situation. I have a ton of digitized music, and I don't want the hassle of creating and maintaining a subset of that to go on the phone. And the phone is mostly used for photography, so its packed full of pics without a lot of free space for music.

And it's nice to be able to have music without the phone needing to be plugged in.

·
Registered
21 Sport
1,735 Posts
I might sound old-school, but a USB stick with gigabytes of MP3s well aranged in folders does the trick for the car..
i tried using a usb stick in my 2021 and every time it started at the first song. i'm sure that would have driven me nuts in about two days. my 2016 always shuffled and picked up where it left off.

i stream from spotify anyway but i'm wondering am i doing something with the 2021 or did subaru change how the HU works with a usb stick?

·
Registered
2017 Crosstrek Limited
1,667 Posts
Still use my 7th gen iPod nano that I paid $99 at the Apple store in NYC 10 years ago every day in my car. Fills up with 15GB of music directly from my laptop and music lasts about 5 months in the car. Have been no firmware updates in recent years but don't need them. It has worked flawlessly and reliably for what I need of it.

·
Registered
21 Sport
1,735 Posts
Pretty much my situation. I have a ton of digitized music, and I don't want the hassle of creating and maintaining a subset of that to go on the phone. And the phone is mostly used for photography, so its packed full of pics without a lot of free space for music.

And it's nice to be able to have music without the phone needing to be plugged in.
i have hundreds of albums on mp3s. and the cost of buying anything out is dirt cheap. but..... the great thing with streaming is you can add or delete music at any time. i often do so while driving or hiking. that said i do keep a loaded usb stick in my car, but the stick no longer plays well with my 2021 crosstrek. as far as phone storage. i use about 15gb of the 128 on my phone. all my photos and videos are on the cloud

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i tried using a usb stick in my 2021 and every time it started at the first song. i'm sure that would have driven me nuts in about two days. my 2016 always shuffled and picked up where it left off.

i stream from spotify anyway but i'm wondering am i doing something with the 2021 or did subaru change how the HU works with a usb stick?
I'm just guessing, but it might have something to do with the .m3u playlist file. I've watched a few tutorials, and there are some things that need to be edited in a text editor like Notepad++ to get it to read properly (path editing and such). I seems like a lot of work if you have a very large number of music files. You can do a "Replace All" to edit the file paths, but track names have extraneous info on them that you'll probably want to edit as well, and it looks like those need to be edited manually.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Do what Bluefoton did in post #6.
yeah, I still like ITunes GUI to manage the songs which seamlessly sync to cloud library, download artwork, store in AAC format, and the best is can play the music with 3.5 mm jack if my mobilephone run out of battery :D (y)

·
Registered
21 Sport
1,735 Posts
[/QUOTE]
I'm just guessing, but it might have something to do with the .m3u playlist file. I've watched a few tutorials, and there are some things that need to be edited in a text editor like Notepad++ to get it to read properly (path editing and such). I seems like a lot of work if you have a very large number of music files. You can do a "Replace All" to edit the file paths, but track names have extraneous info on them that you'll probably want to edit as well, and it looks like those need to be edited manually.
what's weird is i used this thumb drive in my 2016 crosstrek and i didnt need to any of that carp

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited
2,192 Posts

My 2021 Limited shuffles from where I leave off.

Reactions: erader and Skyfix

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limted
132 Posts
I only listen to music in the car for extended road trips which are rare these days. Daily village run [ 20 mile round trip] usually radio is off or NPR or our "local Seattle" classical music station. When on these road trips I don't mind using the CD player or, more often my PONO Hi Res digital music player which has my music library ripped onto it. I don't care at all for seeing the song/artist info on the screen as I know what I chose to play and prefer to keep my eyes on the road or scenery anyway. When using the PONO I'm happy with the AUX 1/8" phono plug.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts