Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Limited
759 Posts
Why Limited trim?
What features does it have that make you recommend it so highly?
The following upgrades from the 2020 Premium trim feature set- at minimal up charge (~$2,500.00-IIRC)
LED Headlights.
LED Brake lights.
LED Fog lights.
Steering Responsive Headlights.
Power adjustable drivers seat.
8" touchscreen.
CVT.
X-Mode.
Keyless access with push button start.
High-grade instrument cluster with color LCD display.
Blind-Spot Detection with Lane Change Assist and Rear Cross-Traffic Alert.
Reverse Automatic Braking.
And several other features that are not particularly important to me.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hi @MountainJoe, I’ll share my two cents if you’ll indulge me -

First I think if you’re considering a Limited trim Crosstrek you may want to consider the Hybrid. I had reservations about the Crosstrek because of cargo space, but I didn’t realize that I could have simply expanded it with a roof box or basket depending on frequency of use. It’s like a second trunk when I need it.

I’ve owned 4 Subarus now - an Outback, a Forester, a Legacy, and now my Outback XT. My only criticism of the XT is that it’s pretty thirsty. While I know the base 2.5 doesn’t get great mileage anyway, I am running a lower mpg average than I was expecting. I am optimistic that it will continue to improve over time with summer driving, summer blend gas, and warmer temperature which means less remote start and idling.

But, the city mileage is what’s absolutely dreadful on these cars. And I’m not trying to suggest it’s a Subaru issue - it’s any car aside from hybrids that are inefficient in suburban and city driving.

Car reviews like to suggest that the hybrid only gets 4 mpg better than the non hybrid - but this is a rating itself. Sure, it’s 35 mpg on highway but it’s also significantly better at city driving. And that’s where it shines. I’m under 20 in city with my Outback - and that’s driving conservatively. But, even my Forester and previous 2.5 Outback weren’t much better at city - maybe 23-25? For 5 mpg city and almost the same rating highway, I wanted the power.

But, when you compare 90 mpge in cities versus the 20 mpg in my XT, that’s where it adds up. Sure, the Crosstrek Hybrid is expensive but keep in mind:

1. Better acceleration compared to non hybrid.
2. Planetary style CVT (Toyota’s?) should have less wear and tear compared to chain design.
3. Toyota reliability and design of battery components.
4. Significantly lower operating costs and reduced maintenance cost due to hybrid integration.

I’m not sure I have regrets at this point for the Onyx XT, but I do wish I had focused more between the two. I probably would have went Crosstrek Hybrid.

Anyway, my XT is looking around a 3000-4000 mile oil change interval since it’s a turbo and I do a lot of “severe” interval driving, which adds 2 extra services per year at $90-100 each. And, fuel cost is substantially higher. At $3 per gallon and 20 mpg, that’s $1800 in gas per year. With electricity factored in, I’d estimate my driving to be about 90% electricity and 10% gasoline. That means I’d use about 40 gallons of fuel per year - so $120. I’m estimating around $400 in electricity costs at my rating $0.17 per kWh to drive the remaining 10,800 miles per year. I’d also do 6,000 mile service intervals on the Crosstrek.

I have the AutoStop Eliminator installed in my XT and it works as intended and now it’s one less thing to worry about. While the AutoStop button on the Outback is built into the infotainment screen, after a month of pushing the button every single time I got in the car became an annoyance. I am pleased with my purchase and feel it was a fair value.

Long story short I would have probably been happier with the Crosstrek Hybrid, but I am stuck with my Onyx for at least 10 years. Oh well. Maybe by that point they’ll have an Outback hybrid.

·
Administrator
2021 Crosstrek Limited, Pure Red
4,615 Posts
My vote would be for the Limited, too, mostly for the LED headlights (which are great), and for the color multi-function display in the center stack, which actually lets you see a couple of temp gauges.

As for the Hybrid, it definitely has some appealing attributes ... but I still see it as a work in progress. And it's a "compliance car," which means that it's only sold in a limited number of states. Subaru will have stronger hybrid and EV entrants in a few more years, and hopefully one of them will be a Crosstrek.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I honestly have never heard: how much is the battery bank replacement in a CrossTrek Hybrid, and how often is it recommended?
If you’re talking about the 8.8 kWh battery pack, it should last - cliches aside - the lifetime of the vehicle, as demonstrated by the Prius in use for 15+ years.

The one snag to this is to make sure the hybrid vent filters are cleaned at regular intervals (every year or two) and the “Car Care Nut” channel on YT has some in depth videos on how to do this yourself.

There is also evidence that charging to 100% and leaving it at 100% does cause accelerated degradation of said battery pack, but it is more of an issue for full EV’s rather than hybrids. Same with DC Fast Charging, which can cause dendrites to form over time. Again, hybrids don’t need DCFC capability as they have gas.

If you drive city, hybrid is an excellent option. If you drive nearly all highway, probably not.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I love my Forester and would never buy a Crosstrek. Why take such a step backwards????? My partner has a Crosstrek.....a 2014 and I know they have improved. But still....

·
Administrator
2021 Crosstrek Limited, Pure Red
4,615 Posts
And I feel exactly the opposite ... I love my Crosstrek and have zero affection for the Forester. Maybe if I get reincarnated as a suburban soccer Mom in my next life I'll feel differently then ... but I doubt it.

That's the nice thing about having choices!

·
Prefers black cats
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
12,931 Posts
We ended up with a Crosstrek because a neighbor had a Forester and loved it. She loaned it to us and OtherAstroKat nixed it. Too big.

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Crosstrek Premium/2020 Subaru Forester Sport
130 Posts
I am just wondering if we can use ARSE for auto repeat stop eliminator.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts