Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks! I live in Signal Mountain, Tennessee (a suburb of Chattanooga) and currently drive a 2004 Forester 2.5XS. My 17+ year old car is holding up pretty well ... so far, at 158K miles ... but at some point in the next couple of years I will probably be looking to get something new, or at least newer. I like the size/weight/handling of the older (pre-2009) Foresters but, naturally, Subaru had to go and mess up a good thing by making them larger. That has me strongly considering buying a Crosstrek as my next car, since the Crosstrek is about the size/weight that the Forester used to be before being upsized. So I am looking for any and all recommendations about which model year Crosstrek is the best value for the money, what features you find useful (or annoying ... I'm looking at you, auto start/stop), basically anything that a prospective first-time Crosstrek owner would want to know before buying. Thanks in advance for any advice you have to offer.

·
He wasn't there!
16 Crosstrek Premium Quartz Blue Pearl
1,725 Posts
If you're looking at a recent used, then the price differential between that and new may not be great enough. So just go new. If you're looking at older used, the car was entirely redesigned in the 2018 model year. So it is an entirely different car before and after that. While most people like most aspects of the new design, the new engine isn't as proven yet.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cutlass thanks for the reply. I know that used Crosstreks (and Subarus in general) hold value really well, making a 1-3 year old car cost almost as much as a new one, so if I were going to buy a recent one I would likely go for the current model. I am very interested in input from those who have driven both the current version and the pre-2018 version to see if there are any significant advantages to buying, say, a 2016 or 17 model with low mileage. Presumably the platform switch in 2018 was intended to be an upgrade, but are there any aspects where it had a negative impact? Hopefully some more folks will chime in with their experiences.

·
Administrator
2021 Crosstrek Limited, Pure Red
4,615 Posts
I drove a 2013 for seven years, and now have a 2021 Limited. Both great vehicles.

All depends on the budget, of course, but if it were me I'd definitely opt for a second-gen car -- interiors are quieter, the body is more rigid, and steering is improved, so the feel behind the road is noticeably better. And you'll have newer tech, too -- much better head unit and improved EyeSight, if that's important to you. I'm more impressed with Eyesight overall than I thought I'd be.

And if you decide to go new, I'd really strongly recommend taking a look at one of the 2021s with the 2.5 engine -- the larger engine is a really noticeable improvement.

·
Registered
2016 Crosstrek
1,378 Posts
The steering improved prior to the 2018 model, I test drove a 2013 and walked away thinking it felt like a video game. Came back in 2016 and purchased. That said, the 2018+ are definite improvements - with the exception of that start/stop BS lol

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, Montanan and orndog. Good things to know! The 2.5L engine is appealing given that my current Forester has a 2.5. Speaking of the *** ... has anyone come up with a good (and inexpensive) way to disable it once and for all? I definitely don't want the extra wear and tear on the starter and battery.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LOL ... apparently the forum didn't like that the acronym for auto start/stop equates to a naughty word, so the software *** it out! :ROFLMAO:

·
Administrator
4,615 Posts
Yeah, we have the stupidest swear filter ever. :rolleyes:

Anyhow:

It's gotten great reviews from other folks here, easy to install, and easily reversible. It's on my shopping list. A little pricy, but you can find a coupon code that cuts the price some.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Yeah, we have the stupidest swear filter ever. :rolleyes:
OT, but there’s a news aggregator site (that will remain unnamed) that used to revel in that. Their devs would take it to the extreme, randomly enabling, say, Elmer Fudd Mode for any given thread, not just swear words, but the entire syntax.

It was great reading a political thread with someone passionate about their stance... with the linguistic equivalent of their fly open.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the suggestion on the auto start/stop eliminator. It is a bit pricey, especially to fix something that Subaru broke on purpose, but if I do buy a new enough model to have that "feature," I will definitely consider it. Maybe someone else on here has heard of a simpler and/or cheaper solution ... will monitor follow-ups.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Limited trim, Limited trim, Limited trim.
OK, I'll bite. Why Limited trim? From what I have done to look at the trim levels, I doubt I'd be willing to spend the extra $ for a Limited. What features does it have that make you recommend it so highly?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
... but if I do buy a new enough model to have that "feature," I will definitely consider it.
Following up on my own reply ... can anyone tell me what year the auto start/stop feature was first introduced in the Crosstrek? If I decide to go used rather than new, knowing what model year that was introduced might tell me which model year to avoid....

·
Administrator
4,615 Posts
Sorry ... a Moderator shouldn't say things like that. ;)

Anyway, if I remember right the auto start/stop feature was introduced with the 2020 model year.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2019 Crosstrek Limited
1,455 Posts
AS/S was introduced to the US Crosstrek in model year 2020, which is why we bought a 2019 when we heard AS/S was coming.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2019 Crosstrek Limited
1,455 Posts
You will probably find that your 2004 Forester has considerably more cargo space/utility than a Crosstrek.

·
He wasn't there!
1,725 Posts

·
He wasn't there!
1,725 Posts
OK, I'll bite. Why Limited trim? From what I have done to look at the trim levels, I doubt I'd be willing to spend the extra $ for a Limited. What features does it have that make you recommend it so highly?

Well, you get leather seats and a lot more seat adjustments. Personally I'd like the seat adjustments without the leather.

Reactions: XVerse
1 - 20 of 30 Posts