Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have yet to drive my Crosstrek (2018) in fog. Isn't an issue where I live, only get fog very occasionally.

So...question is.....is there any other reason to use fog lights?

Thx.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
9,231 Posts
Two years and three months and we've yet to turn them on... ?

Reactions: Dezlboy

·
Registered
33 Posts
cosmetic for me basically we rarely get Fog in New Jersey. i have 6000K LED Headlights Hi and low beam+ Fogs. If i lived where it gets foggy often then definitely would do yellow fogs. Oh and i also have 4 x 6 inch Round LED lights on the SSD light bar wired and all i barely turn those on either once again its more cosmetic then anything yet still wired and functional.

·
Registered
167 Posts
They do spread light in a very short area below the headlight beam. So they add a small bit of clarity at night, but not really enough to bother flicking the switch. I too live in an area that rarely see fog, so plan to swap them for a strong set of driving LEDs in the future.

Reactions: Dezlboy

·
Registered
513 Posts
The fog light also useful when driving at night during rains, it will help to find white road marker easier. Of course on this scenario yellow fog light is better, however during dry night driving, the light with white bulb may give better peripheral visibility.

·
Registered
Subaru XV MY2019 Quartz blue pearl 1.6 CVT Style - Italy
91 Posts
In Italy use of fog lights without fog is illegal.
Anyway... I find XV LED fog lights not so powerful compare to others.
We have lots of fog days (Milan area), and they are useful.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
9,231 Posts
In Italy use of fog lights without fog is illegal.
Anyway... I find XV LED fog lights not so powerful compare to others.
We have lots of fog days (Milan area), and they are useful.
I think that what the case when I lived in the UK and why I don't think to use them unless it's foggy.

·
Registered
135 Posts
i keep mine on all the time. in foggy conditions i do note a bit of more light. to be frank i go them as an add on to my base model because i like the way they look and the small assist in foggy conditions.

·
Registered
2019 Limited - Suba
270 Posts
I replaced the bulbs with LEDs that are a bit brighter than the original bulbs but not annoyingly bright. They are useful when it's raining, which is common here in Georgia. They help show up the white lines and reflectors on the road.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I have yellow overlays on my fog lights ... I drive in fog quite often too and the fog lights really aren't that effective
Hey Erader. Where did you get/which brand of yellow overlays. Were you happy with the quality and ease of installation?
I also often drive in often foggy/misty conditions and the white LEDs don't really stand out in the fog. TIA
Where I live it's an offence to drive with the fog lights on, unless it's well ... foggy. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2016 XV Limited W/eyesight, 1.5" 225/70 R15
13 Posts
I have the "steering responsive" fog lights, which turn on the right side when turning right and left side when turning left. It's annoying and only way to stop the on/ off is to leave them on. Steering responsive sounds like they will aim in the direction turning. They just turn on and off in the direction turning. I leave mine on for that reason-I do like the look better too.

·
Registered
782 Posts
UPDATE: or rainy, or smoky, or dusty.

Fog lights
Front and rear fog lights must only be used in fog or rain, or when conditions such as smoke and dust limit your vision.
It is a legal requirement that once conditions improve and you can see more clearly, the front and rear fog lights are switched off. If your vehicle is not fitted with fog lights you may use your headlights during the day in these adverse conditions.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
It’s not illegal to use them 24/7 here. I don’t but there are occasions where I appreciate their low wide cast to keep aware of any little dark lumps with glowing eyes that may be on the side of a country road or in a shallow ditch next to it. If for nothing more, they make me feel better about either having an opportunity for last second awareness, save or knowledge of what’s about to happen.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The fog light also useful when driving at night during rains, it will help to find white road marker easier.
Never though of that.....thanks!

·
Registered
23 Posts
The SS3 sport Fog Lights from Diode Dynamics offers better usability in fog or blizzard conditions and it has a wide even beam and illuminate most part of the side ditches on the road. I had them installed and even though its pricey its worth the price.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts