Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

Fog light H16 replacement bulbs

Model Years 2018 to 2023 
41K views 43 replies 19 participants last post by  billspaced 
#1 ·
Just took delivery of '18 Crosstrek Limited. LED headlights are great, but the stock halogen fogs are yellow by comparison.
Owners manual says that the fogs are an "H16" bulb, and I confirmed that by removing one of the bulbs...and it says H16.
I would like to replace the bulb with something more 'white' in color...but still halogen. NOT looking to replace the entire housing...just want to replace the bulb.
Problem is that nobody (Napa, PepBoys, Advance Auto) seems to know what an H16 bulb is. Their systems don't show anything for the '18 fogs.

Anyone been down this road already? Any suggestions?

#6 ·
H16 fogs

I bought an 18 Limited Crosstrek this month also. The fog lights are horrible, only 19 watts. There are two types of H16 bulbs, type 1 are straight, type 2 have the bend in the housing. I didn't look at my bulbs yet, are the bulb housings straight or curved? I want to replace with yellow led fog light. I know the H16 connector is the same has an H11 bulb, but an H11 bulb is just a little bit longer then the H16 bulb. I read and looked at several pictures regarding this. You can find bulb replacements on amazon. I had a 16 Crosstrek that took the 2504 fog light bulbs, and changed them out with Alla 80 watt led fog lights that were a little on the blue side, they helped with visibility but it scattered light too much.

#7 · (Edited)
I bought an 18 Limited Crosstrek this month also. The fog lights are horrible, only 19 watts. There are two types of H16 bulbs, type 1 are straight, type 2 have the bend in the housing. I didn't look at my bulbs yet, are the bulb housings straight or curved? I want to replace with yellow led fog light. I know the H16 connector is the same has an H11 bulb, but an H11 bulb is just a little bit longer then the H16 bulb. I read and looked at several pictures regarding this. You can find bulb replacements on amazon. I had a 16 Crosstrek that took the 2504 fog light bulbs, and changed them out with Alla 80 watt led fog lights that were a little on the blue side, they helped with visibility but it scattered light too much.
My guess is the bulb/housing is identical to the MY2018 Impreza but can't verify this until the MY2018 Crosstrek parts get added to the database:

LAMP (FOG). FRONT.
#84912Z

#10 ·
We have a complete LED housing replacement for your XV listed here on our site:

LUXEON LED Fog Lamps (Type A)

I would also like to point out that the Japanese H16 is equivalent to the US-spec H11.

The US-spec H16 has a base that looks like this:

It's a bit confusing, but make sure you get an H11 bulb.

Thank you,
Nick C.

#44 ·
We have a complete LED housing replacement for your XV listed here on our site:

LUXEON LED Fog Lamps (Type A)

I would also like to point out that the Japanese H16 is equivalent to the US-spec H11.

The US-spec H16 has a base that looks like this:

It's a bit confusing, but make sure you get an H11 bulb.

Thank you,
Nick C.
I swear, the h16 came out of my car. Parts book said h11. H11s are just slightly different. Can't get them inserted into the housing with that twist. The tabs are just ever so slightly different.

Just ordered some h16. They probably won't fit, either :)

#11 ·
Any suggestions for a good set of Amber/Yellow FOG bulbs for the crosstrek ? Looking for something specifically made for fog/snow that don't throw a low of light up into on coming drivers eyes.
Would prefer to keep stock housing and just plug and play.

#15 ·
I had the amber DD bulbs on my '15, which helped the OEM fogs a bit, by providing more light. But, I still didn't like the beam pattern. So, when I replaced the wrecked '15 with a new '16 I also replaced the OEM fogs with the DD housing kit with Lamin-X film. World of difference! And now they come out with the 6" Stage Series...!

#17 ·
The H11 bulb is slightly longer. The only issue I might have with an H11 instead of using a H16 is the watts. H11 are higher watts. H16 is lower watts, 19 for halogen, looking for yellow LED fog lights. I was also told the H16 is type 2 which has the 90 degree housing. It doesn't have a straight housing. I haven't looked under my Crosstrek to double check what type it is exactly.

#19 ·
Reactions: Diode Dynamics
#21 · (Edited)
I would love to see pics Crazy. My wish is to have functional amber fogs that project a clean pattern forward and some to sides.

Anything that just floods and blinds on coming traffic won't work for me

#22 ·
I'll make a video of the white (5,000K) fogs with the deautokey low beams when it stops raining.
The low beams must be on for the fogs to work.

Reactions: Dr.MORO and Seattle
#24 ·
I reached out to SubieSpeed with regard to fitment. They stated they "should" fit. For the price I'm leaning toward they need to fit. When I inquired about their return policy if they do not fit, they said there are no returns but, they would "prove" to work with me.

With that said, I'm sidelined again. The search continues or in time something that "does" fit may come along. Also asked if they offer any discounts for forum members here. There was no response to that. I'm not feeling loved by the entire exchange.

Reactions: Jenfy
#29 · (Edited)

You'll have 2504 or H11 bulbs. Make sure which before ordering. PM Nick at Diode Dynamics to make sure what you need. He will give you a code for free freight.
You might need a harness to go from 2504 to H11.

Reactions: Jenfy
#33 ·
Output is what most people focus on. The lens is equally as important in how it projects the desired light pattern. Other things that are just as important are susceptibility to moisture intrusion and heat dissipation from the casing.

$500 is not all about output. The Baja lights are some of the best made for off road use.

#40 ·
Does anyone have a recommendation for H11 LED bulbs that do not cause RFI. I purchased a set for my 2019 Crosstrek, and it caused the FM radio to generate nothing but static when the fog lights were turned on. Had to ship them back to Amazon. They were incredibly bright, but they weren't worth the RFI problems.

#41 · (Edited)
I bought LEDs from DiodeDynamics. They are quiet and cost $120 for the pair.
XML2

Check my post #19

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.