Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Still seems insane to do maintenance on a new car. I've owned many vehicles, I mean probably close to 30, and never had something like this. My wife bought a brand new ram in 12 and it took 5 years for any issues, let alone a seal.

Is this normal for Subie?

I really do love the car, but if it needs extra attention all the time, its not the car for me. Cleaning and detail is one thing. Doing preventative maintenance on something brand new is something else.
DUDE! It's ONE MINOR issue, chill out.You've been advised to take it back to the dealer, it should be a warrantable issue. Jesus, you give stressed-out people like me a bad name. Cars are built by people, not by machines (not that there aren't machines and robots involved in the process) and there's always room for error. Be thankful that this is the only issue. Others have been hit with multiple recall issues (more an annoying trip to the dealership than the engine going "BOOM!" or some such thing) so put this in perspective.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Sticky seals from the factory...no. Sure someone didn't spill a Coke or maybe someone unloaded something from the cargo area and that was sticky. Funny to be on here complaining when as soon as you noticed it you should've been back to the dealer. How many days did you own this before you noticed It? Oh, 8 months....
That area of the cargo bay is prone to collecting dirt, grime, liquids when spilled especially if you use the cargo bay a lot. Every time I clean my car I give that area a good vacuuming and wipe it. Why? To prevent crap from collecting which could give you the results you have. Basic cleaning and maintenance. It kind of goes with owning a car.

·
Registered
2019 Crosstrek Plug-in Hybrid
507 Posts
Agreed, likely something got spilled and is now all sticky and crap. I have a 2019 with 9300mi and my seal looks brand new and it even looks totally different that what you've got going on. Worse case is you have a 3 year bumper to bumper warranty to exercise.

·
Registered
486 Posts
It's pretty clear that there is something on the weather stripping and not the actual stripping falling apart. Heck, almost looks like black tape of some kind. Silicone will do nothing till you clean the goop off the strip. If you aren't capable of dealing with it yourself, then by all means take it back to the dealer and let them handle it. Definitely not a sign you got a bad car though.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I take it you didn’t change the oil yet ‘cause it’s a new car’? You spilled or got **** of some sort on it that’s causing that issue. In all my years I’ve never seen that happen. Clean it good and do as the folks here recommend. BTW, You’re being entirely unreasonable and will need to calm down.

·
Registered
790 Posts
It's called basic maintenance. Silicone your seals.

End of seal problems. ;)
You beat me to it. A can of CRC heavy duty spray and a rag will keep it going fine. I have a 16, and it literally takes no effort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Silicone my 2021 trek with 7500 miles? I'm sorry, but what new car did you buy that needed maintenance done off the bat?

That sucks. Should never have happened, well not for 10+ years. You definitely have an issue that Subaru should fix for free. I bought an 18 Limited back in August 17, and this past year at 40,600 miles, my driver's headlight went out. The entire assembly has to be replaced, there is nothing actually wrong with the LED bulb, it's the SRH feature, the swivel feature. It failed at start up. I think it is a safety issue that Subaru decides to turn off the headlight. I reported it to the NHTSA. Anyway, the dealer wants $1,437 before taxes to replace! I refused, and I'm looking at other options like selling it, and getting a used Lexus RX. Also within about two weeks with my headlight issue, the passenger illumination button for the heated seat went out. It comes on and goes off when it pleases. The actual heated seat still works but those LED's that are dull, and should last a lifetime. Obviously there is some loose connection in there which I haven't got to yet. But with only 40,600 miles, shouldn't be having these issues.

·
Registered
2014 crosstrek
111 Posts
Not trying to bash, but seems like a major defect. Being told silicone is BS. This is my first new car after owning many cars/trucks and I'm not impressed. You seem to be the only one saying not normal.
If you put as much energy in wiping the residue off the gasket which has nothing to do with being a Subaru and add a little silicone spray you would be already done and ready to complain about something else.😀

·
Registered
277 Posts
I clean my car daily. Ok, maybe 4-5 times a week. Always wiping off the weather-stripping. Had zero issues as of yet. Kind of hard to tell, but it looks like you scraped it with something or used a chemical that breaks down the weather stripping, or just not maintaining it during routine washes.... I mean, from the pics, I see tons of dirt and scratches. When you wash the CT - if you do, open the doors and go around the insides of them and the weatherstripping too. Grab some big ol drying towels from Harbor Freight or something. Get in the nooks and crannies regularly.

·
Registered
2014 crosstrek
111 Posts
Still seems insane to do maintenance on a new car. I've owned many vehicles, I mean probably close to 30, and never had something like this. My wife bought a brand new ram in 12 and it took 5 years for any issues, let alone a seal.

Is this normal for Subie?

I really do love the car, but if it needs extra attention all the time, its not the car for me. Cleaning and detail is one thing. Doing preventative maintenance on something brand new is something else.
[/QUOT
I clean my car daily. Ok, maybe 4-5 times a week. Always wiping off the weather-stripping. Had zero issues as of yet. Kind of hard to tell, but it looks like you scraped it with something or used a chemical that breaks down the weather stripping, or just not maintaining it during routine washes.... I mean, from the pics, I see tons of dirt and scratches. When you wash the CT - if you do, open the doors and go around the insides of them and the weatherstripping too. Grab some big ol drying towels from Harbor Freight or something. Get in the nooks and crannies regularly.
I try to wash my car at least once a week especially due to the beach driving. I always open all doors and wipe the jams. I use a scented silicone based aerosol that I spray the plastic and gaskets. It’s literally a 20 second task makes them look better and protects them. I use the spray shine on my tires as well. I can’t really use a thick tire shine because if I drive on the beach the tires look like breaded chicken cutlets lol. Today I’m installing a oem 19mm swaybar. I will see if it makes any difference on the road. I know some of you guys do some heavy off-roading with your CT and sway bars restrict articulation but I’m a road and sand guy. I’ll take a few pics maybe.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I try to wash my car at least once a week especially due to the beach driving. I always open all doors and wipe the jams. I use a scented silicone based aerosol that I spray the plastic and gaskets. It’s literally a 20 second task makes them look better and protects them. I use the spray shine on my tires as well. I can’t really use a thick tire shine because if I drive on the beach the tires look like breaded chicken cutlets lol. Today I’m installing a oem 19mm swaybar. I will see if it makes any difference on the road. I know some of you guys do some heavy off-roading with your CT and sway bars restrict articulation but I’m a road and sand guy. I’ll take a few pics maybe.
Check out this stuff:

I don't use the wheel cleaner, and I could not find a link to the stuff without it, but the tire coating is great. I scrub it in when I have the wheels off after a good degreasing. Never runs or leaves an overshine. This is right after a cleaning:

Let it sit overnight and you are not supposed to drive for an hour or so after application. Lasts a good amount of time, although I have not had clear weather since buying the CT for more than a week yet and I usually I just clean the tire without shining due to Montana being, well, dirty ;) A good car wash here only lasts for a drive around town. As soon as you hit the highway it's over.

·
Registered
2014 crosstrek
111 Posts
Check out this stuff:

I don't use the wheel cleaner, and I could not find a link to the stuff without it, but the tire coating is great. I scrub it in when I have the wheels off after a good degreasing. Never runs or leaves an overshine. This is right after a cleaning:

View attachment 306229

Let it sit overnight and you are not supposed to drive for an hour or so after application. Lasts a good amount of time, although I have not had clear weather since buying the CT for more than a week yet and I usually I just clean the tire without shining due to Montana being, well, dirty ;) A good car wash here only lasts for a drive around town. As soon as you hit the highway it's over.
Ordered. Even though I have a detail area in my bodyshop, I’m always game to try something different. My entire car is ceramic coated with high end ceramic. Been about 2 years and still have some decent evidence of ceramic protection. Gonna need a fresh application soon. Thank you

·
Registered
524 Posts
Not trying to bash, but seems like a major defect. Being told silicone is BS. This is my first new car after owning many cars/trucks and I'm not impressed. You seem to be the only one saying not normal.
So everything, EVERYTHING else is fine? You like the color and all the other aspects of this car? I think dealer/SOA are your friends and the Crosstrek does not deserve your hate. S**t happens. Deal with it and drive on happy!

·
Registered
2019 Crosstrek Plug-in Hybrid
507 Posts
Ordered. Even though I have a detail area in my bodyshop, I’m always game to try something different. My entire car is ceramic coated with high end ceramic. Been about 2 years and still have some decent evidence of ceramic protection. Gonna need a fresh application soon. Thank you
I use the tire shine from Hydrosilex. It's a no-sling technology and it works great. Gives a light shine and I would do 2 coats and let it sit a day or so (since I don't drive much at the moment). Here's a shot after application after my tire rotation where I degreased everything and ceramic coated the wheel and barrel. This was only 1 coat of the tire shine and was easy to do the whole tire since I had the car up on jack stands. I don't use the high end ceramic coatings, but Hydrosilex Recharge is a great product and quick to apply after every car wash and it works great!

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Crosstrek Limited
402 Posts
There always is!
Yeah, I am not buying the "it just did it" story. Not saying OP put anything on it, but it's pretty obvious someone spilled something or wiped it with something that was detrimental to the seal.

·
Registered
749 Posts
It's pretty clear that there is something on the weather stripping and not the actual stripping falling apart. Heck, almost looks like black tape of some kind.

View attachment 306195
There's nothing foreign on the seal.What you see is pieces of the seal itself that have been gouged/torn away by something being loaded and/or unloaded.The scrapes,gouges and cuts go down into the seal pretty deep.It's obvious,especially from the mark on the left,that the damage wasn't caused from it sticking to the hatch.What you see laying on top is material that has been peeled back and it's not stuck to the hatch.It wouldn't be there if all that black stuff was from the seal.The black marks on the hatch just don't coincide with the damage to the seal.The huge scrapes in the floor is more evidence of carelessness.

I think the OP will try to use the,what ever it is,on the hatch to distract them from the user inflicted damage to the seal to get it replaced for free.He better find a way to hide the damage to the floor because it sticks out like a sore thumb and will make them take a closer look at the seal itself.

He wonders why you should do preventative maintenance on a brand new car."Preventative" maintenance includes putting something like a blanket or a rubber mat in the cargo area to "prevent" damage when hauling large items.If he had done this little bit of "preventive" maintenance,his brand new car would still look brand new.It's already starting to look used and abused.

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Crosstrek Limited
402 Posts
There's nothing foreign on the seal.What you see is pieces of the seal itself that have been gouged/torn away by something being loaded and/or unloaded.The scrapes,gouges and cuts go down into the seal pretty deep.
We'll have to disagree as one of his pictures shows bits of the seal stuck to the back of the hatch.

I agree it looks gouged, but the seal looks like it has something on it to me. Either way, a trip to the dealer should fix it and if not, it's $80 or so to buy a new seal.

·
Prefers black cats
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
12,144 Posts
Also, whatever is stuck on the Hatch isn't aligned with the gouges on the seal. Definitely something else going on here...

41 - 60 of 61 Posts