Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

Prefers black cats
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
Not trying to bash, but seems like a major defect. Being told silicone is BS. This is my first new car after owning many cars/trucks and I'm not impressed. You seem to be the only one saying not normal.
Thanks - ours has not been trouble-free but the sticky seals seems weird. I agree, this is not normal and you shouldn't be expected to apply silicone to all of the seals on a brand new car. I didn't! 馃樃

Perhaps the dealer's prep involved some cleaning that attacked the rubber?

Registered
2021 ISM Crosstrek Ltd
Nothing wrong with black, IMHO... 馃樃

View attachment 306139
One of my many late fine cats I often fondly remember I named Midnight... for two reasons. I rescued him from 20 feet up in a pine when his cries got me up before daylight, and because he was jet black.

Getting a frightened kitten down from a pine tree in my skivvies, with him securely attached to one arm and my neck? That's memories. :) But worth it.

Prefers black cats
One of my many late fine cats I often fondly remember I named Midnight... for two reasons. I rescued him from 20 feet up in a pine when his cries got me up before daylight, and because he was jet black.

Getting a frightened kitten down from a pine tree in my skivvies, with him securely attached to one arm and my neck? That's memories. :) But worth it.
I can relate to "securely attached to one arm and my neck" and, yes, it's worth the scars - good for you! 馃樃

Registered
Crosstrek Limited 2021
I am in PA and I used my 2021 CT Limited (same color) a lot including trunk - never had any issue with weather seals. I think I applied 303 on it once, but may be it was Wrangler. I think the only place it was sticking was a hood front seal, but it never ripped pieces of it. I applied 303 on it and it never happened since. BTW, the loaners I had - both had hood stuck, apparently nobody ever checks oil level and etc. After dealing with Miata Power Hard Top seals, nothing comes even close to it. I would not go as far as selling the new car just because of I refuse to apply 303 on new car, it is very simple - just glide its foam applicator over the perimeter and it is all done. Cleaning windshield from bugs is more involved vs. applying 303 on seals. As for damaged seals - just bring it to the dealer and they will put new ones in. If you have any issue with dealer, just buy new seal and replace yourself, then call SOA and they will send you a refund check for the parts you bought (just buy it from Subaru dealer).

Registered
2019 Canadian Sport trim (6MT // 2.0 )
We understand your frustration, but a single person's experience over a rare occurence bears no impact on the entire brand. Youre case seems nothing more than a statistical blip, insignficant with respect to the amount of cars sold, no matter how you - personally - feel. Bring it back to the dealer, get it fixed at their cost, problem solved.

You're right that preventive seal maintenance is not necessary, an absolute majority of car owners never touch their seals and yet they never stick as yours did. If you plan to keep the car for a long time, it pays off though.
The beauty about preventive maintenance is that you do it when it's not needed, yet it pays off much later. In 10 years, a seal that was silicone sprayed since day 1 will look drastically different from one that has been left alone. In 3 years, not so much.

Bottom line - no, your seal isn't supposed to behave the way it did, no it doesn't reflect on Subaru - as for spraying, waxing, polishing, pampering and putting organic free-range hydrating cream on every single part of the car at sunrise - it's your call, really.

Needs a Butch car
2020 Crosstrek Premium
I've never heard of silicone your seals. I live in Phoenix, where the car regularly gets above 185 inside during the summer. I've never had an issue like this.
I would wonder if something was spilled on it. Since it's so new, I would expect the dealer to replace for free, and then I'd probably look at something to prevent it in the future. I guess that might be the silicone that Scythe talked about.

Registered
2021 Crosstrek Premium
I would wonder if something was spilled on it.
This is what I was thinking. Maybe the dealer did something to it prior to the OP picking it up and someone used the wrong chemical or accidentally spilled something. Way back in another lifetime I prepped cars for delivery and some of the substances we used could do significant harm if put on the wrong surfaces. I've seen dashboards replaced because the wrong cleaner was used, and mag wheel cleaner completely ruin a full set of wheels with clear coat, or the plastic windows in a Jeep soft top ruined within a week of customer pick up. I've also seen people who love that shiny Armor-All like crap so much they spray it on anything that even slightly resembles rubber, and alot of those things are just not meant for anything other than tires.
Whatever the cause I would think it would be replaced without a fight.

Registered
I've seen that before. Honda had similar issues with their door seals on the Accord back in the late 80's and 90's. The rubber would degrade and stick to the body, or just plan fall apart. Subaru has probably sourced a bad batch of seals. It has not happened to the families MY18, but 'Ive treated them with gummi phfledge and waxed the sills. The only seal I seem to have trouble with is the sunroof seal(lets in debris even though it's closed and clean?).
regards

Registered
2021 ISM Crosstrek Ltd
I lived in New England for 30 years and it taught me the value of taking care of my cars' seals as well as lots of other preventative maintenance. It only takes one freeze with any moisture on the car... when all the doors are frozen shut, and yanking them open. The seals will do what the OP's seal did.

You don't have to live in NE to experience freezing temperatures.

Just saying.

Has Butch tires
2018 Orange Subaru Crosstrek Limited
Can't blame you for this making a Subaru seem a bit less than a great car company. The dealer should make it right in my opinion. You could bring it to the dealer and ask if their refusal to help you is worth losing you as a customer forever.
My previous car, a 2007 Toyota Corolla, reminded me each day I drove it that someone was in a hurry. The front windshield seal was poorly installed, bulged up from the dash and bumped in an out of it's position from behind the dash just smack in my eyesight each time I drove. It didn't hurt anything, just looked like the person(s) who did it had a bad day and the people who checked it were going to ride the great reputation of Toyota rather than getting it right. I got my Subaru partially because it seemed to have better/equal assembly quality to that Toyota.

On the other hand I've come to dislike the Subaru Dealers so I guess I'd fix it and silicone the seals while I'd resent doing it...I'd just carry that resentment into my next purchase. Good luck on whatever you decide

Registered
I would wonder if something was spilled on it.
I would say that this is the cause of the seal sticking to the hatch.However,if you take a close look at the pic of the seal,you see damage that goes well beyond just sticking to the hatch.Look at those gouges,both in the seal itself as well as the floor.It looks to me that something big was un/loaded without much care to prevent damage.

I would be more concerned about those gouges.When the hatch is closed,the material stuck to the hatch goes right back to where it came from and fits perfectly to fill the gaps so there should be no problem with leaks.As for the gouges,that material has been moved or removed completely so the chances of it leaking are increased.

Prefers black cats
I would say that this is the cause of the seal sticking to the hatch.However,if you take a close look at the pic of the seal,you see damage that goes well beyond just sticking to the hatch.Look at those gouges,both in the seal itself as well as the floor.It looks to me that something big was un/loaded without much care to prevent damage.
You're right! I hadn't noticed that when I first saw the post. Clearly, there's more to this story...

21 - 40 of 61 Posts