Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
2021 XV Limited 2.5L - Plasma Yellow
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you can see from pics, the rubber insulation sticks to the hatch. Im not pleased as this will be a huge issue later, let alone this car is 8 months old. I live in PA, not some place where it is 100 degrees daily. Car may run great, but what in the actual F*#$

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's called basic maintenance. Silicone your seals.

End of seal problems. ;)
Also, if this is considered basic maintenance... folks, I got a 2021 Crosstrek Limited in plasma yellow pearl with 7500 miles on it for sale. Its been tinted and has ceramic coating on the exterior.

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Crosstrek Limited
402 Posts
Going to the horse and buggy, eh? :p

This can happen to ANY car if you do not maintain it. Granted, if this was happening from the day you drove it off the lot, then the dealer may have applied something that became tacky, sticky, etc. The fact that you did not address that is on you. Having said that, you should STILL take it back to the dealer and see what they say about it. Have them replace the entire rear seal. If they will not, elevate it to SOA and see what they say.

Worst case......Part # 63516.....goes for about $80.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I have an '18 that has no signs of doing this even though I was going a little overboard at the height of Covid concerns and using disinfectant wipes way more than I should have. Is it possible that the tinting people may've spilled or heavily wiped that area over with a cleaning product or solvent that they didn't tell you about that has compromised the integrity of the seal? I'd certainly take it back to the dealer and have it noted in case there was there was an issue with some parts on this model. Maybe something they can attend to under warranty?

·
Registered
2021 ISM Crosstrek Ltd
135 Posts
Silicone my 2021 trek with 7500 miles? I'm sorry, but what new car did you buy that needed maintenance done off the bat?
All of them... and I've had six new Subarus just in the last seven years. :)

There's more to do than that. I buy them and make sure thenceforth. When I trade a car the new owner gets one better than new... the same way I prefer them.

·
Prefers black cats
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
12,144 Posts
Over three years and nothing like that with ours and it gets hot here in the summer and we've been close to 120F in the desert. No silicone (at least, that I've applied). Take it back to the dealer and if they won't do anything contact SOA - you'll find it's more effective than bashing Subaru in this forum... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Over three years and nothing like that with ours and it gets hot here in the summer and we've been close to 120F in the desert. No silicone (at least, that I've applied). Take it back to the dealer and if they won't do anything contact SOA - you'll find it's more effective than bashing Subaru in this forum... :rolleyes:
Not trying to bash, but seems like a major defect. Being told silicone is BS. This is my first new car after owning many cars/trucks and I'm not impressed. You seem to be the only one saying not normal.

·
Registered
2021 Base CVT Crosstrek
149 Posts
Definitely bring this to your dealer and see what they say. I have a 2021 and would like to know if there is something I should look out for, though I would think door seals are old hat.

·
Registered
2021 ISM Crosstrek Ltd
135 Posts
I have an '18 that has no signs of doing this even though I was going a little overboard at the height of Covid concerns and using disinfectant wipes way more than I should have. Is it possible that the tinting people may've spilled or heavily wiped that area over with a cleaning product or solvent that they didn't tell you about that has compromised the integrity of the seal? I'd certainly take it back to the dealer and have it noted in case there was there was an issue with some parts on this model. Maybe something they can attend to under warranty?
You're right of course, that a new car shouldn't have seals that stick.

However. You've answered your own question for the reason a new car's seals are sticking... the seals come with a release agent on them, and denuding them of that release agent with disinfectant removes that agent... then they stick. The answer is to silicone them periodically.

I've created my own problems, too, and share your frustration. Just clean the area and silicone the seals well and they'll be ok.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Definitely bring this to your dealer and see what they say. I have a 2021 and would like to know if there is something I should look out for, though I would think door seals are old hat.
Ill keep you posted. I've had minor fall, winter, spring, and maybe had two 90 degree days so far here. Nothing that should be sticking the seal to the hatch. At 7500 miles and what I would guess is 60 degrees normal, its a flaw. Dealer (never wanted them touching it) will say its a one off with the seal manufacturer Im sure. At least other '21 owners know what to look for now.

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited
1,694 Posts
Not trying to bash, but seems like a major defect. Being told silicone is BS. This is my first new car after owning many cars/trucks and I'm not impressed. You seem to be the only one saying not normal.
Silicone Spray is good for all rubber seals.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

However. You've answered your own question for the reason a new car's seals are sticking... the seals come with a release agent on them, and denuding them of that release agent with disinfectant removes that agent... then they stick. The answer is to silicone them periodically.

I've created my own problems, too, and share your frustration. Just clean the area and silicone the seals well and they'll be ok.
Still seems insane to do maintenance on a new car. I've owned many vehicles, I mean probably close to 30, and never had something like this. My wife bought a brand new ram in 12 and it took 5 years for any issues, let alone a seal.

Is this normal for Subie?

I really do love the car, but if it needs extra attention all the time, its not the car for me. Cleaning and detail is one thing. Doing preventative maintenance on something brand new is something else.

·
Registered
2021 Base CVT Crosstrek
149 Posts

It can be confusing - these are actually two different people. The original poster did not say they used disinfectant on their seals. They have a 2021 Crosstrek with 7500 mi on it.

The person you are responding to has a 2018 Crosstrek on which they did use disinfectant on, but did not face this problem.

·
Registered
2021 ISM Crosstrek Ltd
135 Posts
It can be confusing - these are actually two different people. The original poster did not say they used disinfectant on their seals. They have a 2021 Crosstrek with 7500 mi on it.

The person you are responding to has a 2018 Crosstrek on which they did use disinfectant on, but did not face this problem.
Actually, it's the same person. :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I was given VIP discount from my buddy. He said bring it to dealer, which I really don't want to do, but will do. Ill update it this later.

I still can't fathom doing preventative maintenance on a brand new car. Sure, I get it after a year, but Booger is still spanking new and super maintained. I drive a classic truck, tuner, and the trek is my daily, so I keep on top of it. This seems a flaw and as my first subie I'm a bit sad.

Regardless, thank you all for input.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts