Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello world,

Lurker here, just popping in to say hello and introduce myself finally. Last October I took the plunge and traded in my 2013 VW CC for a 2018 Crosstrek Limited w/ eyesight that has 23k on it. I've always liked the looks of the Crosstrek, and the only thing that I miss so far is the raw power from 2500rpm on that the CC had (I do NOT miss having to put 93 in my car though). Anywho, my 2018 came loaded with all the factory options, but here are the mods I have done so far as well have planned based off of some of the great ideas I have seen here.

My mods so far that don't violate the warranty:

Yellow fog light lenses and yellow led bulbs
Front and rear factory resin underguards (I cannot, for the life of me, find the factory side underguards)
Rear bumper guard
Factory remote start install
Factory rain/wind deflector install
Chrome accents on the fog lights
Wrapped the exterior B and C pillars in carbon fibre
Carbon fibre trim piece for the HVAC area under the screen.
Interior and exterior conversion of all LED bulbs that weren't already LED from the factory (most were)
Orange interior highlights to match the stitching
Cupholder guards (cheap, but neat looking, and match the orange pinstriping)
Extended paddle shifters (since I use those a lot)
Curt 2" hitch
Coinbox container fuse panel door conversion (simple, cheap, and VERY functional)
Center console organizer (again, cheap, but SUPER useful)
Key skins (hey, those suckers are expensive!)
Sound deadened the rear tire area
Side and rear cargo nets
Door guards on all four doors
Factory Aero crossbars
Factory "Crosstrek" sill protectors
Installed my dashcam next to the eyesight and on the rear lid
3D MAXpider floor mats (front and rear)

My next planned mods are:

24" LED light bar in the lower bumper slot
Some kind of front bumper protection + skid plates (probably LP Adventures if I can stomach the cost)
Factory side underguards if I can find them (may have to drive up to Canada for these)
Tinted center of the tails (the white space) and reflectors
Underseat subwoofer install to supplement the HK system
Sound deadening the roof, floor, and doors + velvet lining the glove box, center console, and coinbox (The Crosstrek has a TON of road noise compared to my CC)
Badge overlay and wheel pinstriping
Possibly some Methods and KO2s, waiting until after my warranty expires for a lift

Repairs that I have had under warranty so far since October:

3 recalls (PCV, Brake line, and one other that I forget)
Rusted strut tower TSB completed (they were rusted)
Insulating foam was used to silence a loud rattle coming from my glove box
Windshield was replaced with factory glass for the Eyesight and heated wipers
Seatbelt retractor was replaced on the driver's side
HVAC blower motor will be replaced as soon as the part comes in due to a high pitched chirping

I'm glad to be here and thank you all for the great advice and threads that you have here.

And of course, here are some pics for your viewing pleasure.

IMG_20191215_163534.jpg IMG_20191215_163549.jpg IMG_20191215_163559.jpg IMG_20191207_105331.jpg IMG_20191127_160446.jpg MVIMG_20191127_161656.jpg IMG_20191216_144631.jpg IMG_20191115_092950.jpg IMG_20191115_191408.jpg IMG_20191212_145809.jpg

·
Registered
2018 Orange Subaru Crosstrek Limited
228 Posts
Sounds like you have a really good idea on where and how you are going with your car. I'm curious about how you sound proofed the hatch as well. I really dont want to think about taking the interior apart as the last time I did this on my daughter's car it left two new rattles which I never was able to find.
My only desire was to replace the 1.8 L Subaru engine with a 27 L Rolls Royce Merlin which I would detune to two thousand horsepower. It appeared I might have warranty problems if I did this and it might not make it past a casual check at the smog check place...that and the car would be crushed into the ground by the 1400 pound engine. Might have been interesting.

·
Registered
2018 XV 2.0iS CVT in Dark Blue
111 Posts
Sounds like you have a really good idea on where and how you are going with your car. I'm curious about how you sound proofed the hatch as well. I really dont want to think about taking the interior apart as the last time I did this on my daughter's car it left two new rattles which I never was able to find.
My only desire was to replace the 1.8 L Subaru engine with a 27 L Rolls Royce Merlin which I would detune to two thousand horsepower. It appeared I might have warranty problems if I did this and it might not make it past a casual check at the smog check place...that and the car would be crushed into the ground by the 1400 pound engine. Might have been interesting.
🤣 Jason builds a rocket car.png

·
Registered
848 Posts
Congrats and welcome from Penciltucky...Excellent intro bro. Enjoy, relax,beers in the fridge.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Notice any difference in the noise level? I know you are going to do more sound deadening but just curious about the spare tire area since that is such an easy one for me to do.
I'm not sure if it's a placebo effect since I didn't measure before and after, but I'd like to think it did.

I was installed the wiring harness for the trailer lights and just kind of decided to knock it out while the back was all taken apart.

I will take measurements before I do the headliner, floor, and doors.

I'm not sure if there's any interest, but I may try to document the headliner drop and insulation/deadening. I'm still back and forth between deadening, insulation, or both. I can't seem to find too many threads here with results of either or both.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Nice Summary McManus. Looks like you are off to a good start. My Crosstrek is also my fist Subaru. I recently gave up a 2014 Mini Countryman S All4 for the Crosstrek. I miss the power and sharp handling but not having to use 93 octane gas so all of that resonated with me when I read what you said. Although the 'trek is so different its a suitable replacement (weird huh?) and I'm enjoying it so far.

BTW my local dealer said they were ok with the lift as long as it didn't involve springs. I thought that strange but in actuality I don't see how they can deny warranty other on parts that are directly affected by a modification.

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
6,909 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Nice Summary McManus. Looks like you are off to a good start. My Crosstrek is also my fist Subaru. I recently gave up a 2014 Mini Countryman S All4 for the Crosstrek. I miss the power and sharp handling but not having to use 93 octane gas so all of that resonated with me when I read what you said. Although the 'trek is so different its a suitable replacement (weird huh?) and I'm enjoying it so far.

BTW my local dealer said they were ok with the lift as long as it didn't involve springs. I thought that strange but in actuality I don't see how they can deny warranty other on parts that are directly affected by a modification.
Our first Subaru is also a Crosstrek but was lifted at dealer with 1-1/2” Anderson lift.
They did a few but have stopped.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Crosstrek Limited with Eyesight
6 Posts
Repairs that I have had under warranty so far since October:
HVAC blower motor will be replaced as soon as the part comes in due to a high pitched chirping
Really awesome photos! I also just picked up my 2018 Crosstrek Limited with Eyesight. First Subaru ever and I am still trying to get used to it. So far so good - quite pleased with the purchase.

Only thing that annoys me so far is a ringing sound that occurs 80% of the time when I turn on the heating fan. It doesn't appear to sound as bad as your high pitched chirping but its nonetheless annoying. The previous owner did take it into the dealer and they said they couldn't find anything wrong.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem.

·
Registered
2018 Orange Subaru Crosstrek Limited
228 Posts
Really awesome photos! I also just picked up my 2018 Crosstrek Limited with Eyesight. First Subaru ever and I am still trying to get used to it. So far so good - quite pleased with the purchase.

Only thing that annoys me so far is a ringing sound that occurs 80% of the time when I turn on the heating fan. It doesn't appear to sound as bad as your high pitched chirping but its nonetheless annoying. The previous owner did take it into the dealer and they said they couldn't find anything wrong.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem.
Same car as yours, not aware of ringing. Do you hear it through the whole range of fan motor speeds? Do you hear it with AC or Heater off? Have you recently been to a Deep Purple (117 decibles!) concert and had someone empty their gun into the air near your ears?

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
6,909 Posts
I've been hearing a ringing noise a lot lately too!

Oh, wait, it's the Christmas music that has been on repeat on our Bose Soundtouch... 😸

1 - 20 of 22 Posts