Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited
717 Posts
Wow, I would appreciate that a lot, thank you! Can I ask why you made the switch to the stahlbus?
I just prefer the design of the Stahlbus, that's all. Just a cleaner look and has a failsafe cap just in case the ball valve would fail. I won't be changing the oil for a bit yet though, as I just have a little over 1,000 miles on it now I believe.

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Premium 2.0 CVT
409 Posts
I just prefer the design of the Stahlbus, that's all. Just a cleaner look and has a failsafe cap just in case the ball valve would fail. I won't be changing the oil for a bit yet though, as I just have a little over 1,000 miles on it now I believe.
Gotcha! Well please do keep me in mind if appreciate it!

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Sport Cool Gray Khaki
199 Posts

·
Butchin' Moderator
2018 Orange Subaru Crosstrek Limited
1,594 Posts
Using "PUP" oil might not be regarded with affection by folks who own Subarus as apparently they also own many pet dogs. I don't know how they express the oil from puppies (do they sweat them? stone grind? expeller?) but I'm sure there would be concern here although I suppose some interesting clothing might be in order as a secondary result. What's that? "PUP" isn't made from puppies? Oh, never mind. Yes, the black filter is way better than the blue filter, of that we can be sure, no doubt I suppose. Dunno. I asked the dealer to change my oil the day I came to pick up the car (can't be too cautious) but they just laughed at me and threatened to call the cops.
One-piece garment Dress Sleeve Art Painting

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Outdoor - "Trekov"
148 Posts
  • Helpful
Reactions: Arthur

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I know I know, it's a bit overkill with PUP, but figured why not. It's only $2 more per quart versus the idemitsu stuff. (Side note, not sure if it's any different from the Subaru branded version). And pup is one of the top rated oils out there without being boutique. Incredible sheer resistance, and it has recently been updated for GF-6/SP.

My third choice would be Castrol edge. And what's the deal with Mobil 1 anyways, why do they have so many different versions? Couldn't they just keep it simple.... I don't like having to choose between so many different types from one brand, lol!

I think going forward, I will just grab the edmitsu stuff off of Amazon, but will continue with the Subaru Black filters. After all, I bought a case of them ...and 3K oci for my Crosstrek, with an occasional blackstone report.

I will probably throw on a stalbhus drain valve or a Fumoto on my second change, as I still have a leftover crush washer from my WRX days. To be honest, I'm not a big fan of the super slow drain when using a valve. I always feel like there's remnants sitting in the pan because of the slow flow of the valve, But the convenience and the lack of a mess is 100% worth it.
It used to be good oil, but not sure what the API SP change them. It cleans extremely well, great for new car, but prone to make car pings more compared to other if the oil goes to combustion chamber. I am planning to use their sister oil Shell Helix Ultra API once my Fuchs group 3 finish, interestingly Shell can make the oil pretty cheap in my area.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Crosstrek Limited
1,449 Posts
Can I ask if there’s a reason for the wait? Does the valve affect warranty somehow?
I don't want to risk any warranty issues since I'm doing oil changes on my own. I know the black filters are also OEM but having a paper trail from the dealership saying I bought their filter gives me peace of mind. Canadians aren't as fortunate when it comes to warranty laws as it is in America.

·
Registered
19 Posts
FWIW. I first changed the wife's oil, a '22 limited, at 3k miles. I noticed it was down a 1/2 quart. Switched to a blue filter (its what I had on hand) and used 5 quarts
Toyota/exxon mobile synthetic TGMO 0W-20 oil I got off amazon. Her car is currently at 7200 miles and not a drop missing. Admittedly its too early to tell, but initially the oil seems to be holding up well compared to the factory fill. It's 50 bucks for 6 quarts so not cheap but I don't mind paying more to know we won't be consuming oil. Not trying to make a debate on the pro's or cons of this particular oil or any other brand. Just putting it out there if anyone wants to experiment.

·
Registered
784 Posts
no comment on the blue vs black filters, but there have been reports of knockoff black filters being distributed.

If you're set on the Tokyo Roki filters I'd try to get after the OEM Mazda filter that fits our car before going on ebay or the like.

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Sport Cool Gray Khaki
199 Posts
There are also reports of ordering the black and getting the blue anyway.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2019 Crosstrek Limited
1,779 Posts
I first changed the wife's oil, a '22 limited, at 3k miles. I noticed it was down a 1/2 quart. Switched to a blue filter (its what I had on hand) and used 5 quarts
Toyota/exxon mobile synthetic
If you put in 5 quarts you over filled it which may be giving you a false sense of having no oil consumption. The correct oil quantity is 4.4 qt for the 2.5L engine.
Font Rectangle Number Handwriting Art

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited
717 Posts
If you put in 5 quarts you over filled it which may be giving you a false sense of having no oil consumption. The correct oil quantity is 4.4 qt for the 2.5L engine.
View attachment 312972
I can tell you, in my experience, 4.4 qts will not show as full on the dipstick when changing the filter as well. When I put in 5 qts and take it for ride and come back and let it sit on a level surface over night, it will be a bit over full when I check it cold. I then used my Fumoto valve to drain a little bit at a time till the level correctly reads full. I removed 8oz for this to occur. So, for me, 4.75 quarts is full on a cold engine when replacing the filter.

·
Registered
2022 Crosstrek Limited
78 Posts
I have read that even in Japan the Roki black filters have been replaced with Thai Full filters. Found the Mazda N3R1-14-302 filters for around 7.50 each. Very reputable supplier. What showed up were Mazda stubbies, maybe two inches tall. Made in Thailand. Returned and see they changed the product description.
Parts Geek has the correct Full filters for 3.00 each. Shipping on 12 was 20.00.
The very good Champ XL for Subaru have gone missing.
And agree on oil capacity on the 2.5l l engine. On mine after sitting overnight 4.75 qts read high on dipstick and on scanner. Miteyvacced a little out. Anyone know why 2.0 engine holds more oil than 2.5?
I cannot go back to draining oil. Been vacuuming for almost 10 years and on second Miteyvac. Wore first out. But maintain six cars usually. Currently all six are top side serviceable.
Could not sleep at night with a drain valve on six.
Crosstrek is now easiest. Ten minutes to leisurely vacuum out while changing filter, then dump in 4 1/2 quarts of oil from 5 quart jug.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts