Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

Registered
'23 Limited
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know I know, it's a bit overkill with PUP, but figured why not. It's only $2 more per quart versus the idemitsu stuff. (Side note, not sure if it's any different from the Subaru branded version). And pup is one of the top rated oils out there without being boutique. Incredible sheer resistance, and it has recently been updated for GF-6/SP.

My third choice would be Castrol edge. And what's the deal with Mobil 1 anyways, why do they have so many different versions? Couldn't they just keep it simple.... I don't like having to choose between so many different types from one brand, lol!

I think going forward, I will just grab the edmitsu stuff off of Amazon, but will continue with the Subaru Black filters. After all, I bought a case of them ...and 3K oci for my Crosstrek, with an occasional blackstone report.

I will probably throw on a stalbhus drain valve or a Fumoto on my second change, as I still have a leftover crush washer from my WRX days. To be honest, I'm not a big fan of the super slow drain when using a valve. I always feel like there's remnants sitting in the pan because of the slow flow of the valve, But the convenience and the lack of a mess is 100% worth it.

Registered
2021 Crosstrek Premium 2.0 CVT
I bought the grainger deal of Duramax by reladyne, 0w-20 API GF-6 Dexos ii

$45 for 24 quarts - Grabbed two of the six gallon boxes. It鈥檚 up to gf6 spec and dexos so it can鈥檛 hurt the car, and from what I see idemitsu seems like average oil - nothing to write home about. I may try the purolator or fram filters some have recommended, but I鈥檒l try to find the oem ones.

Definitely buying the fumoto valve.

Registered
'23 Limited
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oil seems to be the top trigger on this forum, I enjoy watching the tumult
Lol! Yeah I noticed that. Especially the type of filter talk gets highly heated. Whatever works for somebody is fine by me.

I'm a neurotic kind of guy, so I want the best oil with the best filter blah blah blah.... Whether or not somebody feels like I'm wasting my money, is of no consequence to me.

As implied, it's my money and I shall do as I please. If I choose to waste oil at 3K intervals, so be it

Registered
'23 Limited
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I bought the grainger deal of Duramax by reladyne, 0w-20 API GF-6 Dexos ii

$45 for 24 quarts - Grabbed two of the six gallon boxes. It鈥檚 up to gf6 spec and dexos so it can鈥檛 hurt the car, and from what I see idemitsu seems like average oil - nothing to write home about. I may try the purolator or fram filters some have recommended, but I鈥檒l try to find the oem ones.

Definitely buying the fumoto valve.
Yeah, I'm sure you can't go wrong with your setup. I will probably just keep going on with the pup. I've always had great luck with Pennzoil ultimate Platinum with my WRX and my fiesta ST, so why buck the trend. A few extra bucks here and there is not going to "break the bank".

Peace of mind goes a long way. I have a hard enough time sleeping at night as it is

Registered
2021 Crosstrek Outdoor - "Trekov"
Peace of mind goes a long way. I have a hard enough time sleeping at night as it is
Where did you even find PUP? It's been a ghost around my area for awhile now.
Amazon, of course. One day delivery. 6 quarts at $54.
Aah, yes. Amazon. The preeminent global retailer for absolutely EVERYTHING. Never in my life, have I recycled so much name-branded, corrugated cardboard as during these past 3 years.

I'll see your PUP and raise you a couple of quarts of *** (Amsoil Signature Series). :p

For oil filters, black is beautiful!

As a result, I sleep with one eye open ...

• Haha
Reactions: jamesbob

Registered
'23 Limited
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Most name brand oils are very good these days and quite similar in performance.
Without a doubt! It's best not to overthink these things. Any 0w20 full synthetic SP rated GF-6 will suffice.

For me however, old habits die hard. Ever since my bobistheoilguy (BITOG) days, I have geeked out over the details (unnecessarily so).

Yesterday I watched somebody talking about their 1 year ownership with an Outback wilderness, and how they use Kirkland signature synthetic, and I was never so envious in my life that people could be so carefree with their oil choices. Why oh why do I put myself through this torture. 馃ぃ馃ぃ

Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited
Amazon, of course. One day delivery. 6 quarts at $54.
Why six individual quarts? At that price one could move to AMSOIL SS or even HPL.

Incredible sheer resistance, and it has recently been updated for GF-6/SP.
Most all good oils are API SP and ILSAC 6....as it's already been a couple of years; not really new anymore.

I choose Valvoline EP 0w20 due to the moly and very good UOA's over at BITOG. I'm also doing 3K OCI's, so any oil would do that job. If you are talking about doing extended OCI's, then, yeah, shear resistance is a factor, but not at 3K OCI's.

Registered
'23 Limited
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Why six individual quarts?

Most all good oils are API SP and ILSAC 6....as it's already been a couple of years; not really new anymore.

I choose Valvoline EP 0w20 due to the moly and very good UOA's over at BITOG. I'm also doing 3K OCI's, so any oil would do that job. If you are talking about doing extended OCI's, then, yeah, shear resistance is a factor, but not at 3K OCI's.
DOH! For some reason when I was searching for it on Amazon I only saw the six quart case. I didn't even check on Walmart either. 馃様
But it's okay, I will search better next time. I had a couple of drinks when I put the order in 馃樁
I do like using the quarts better tho, because you can store the sixth one sealed for the next oil change rather than having the big open container. I will still have an open one from the 5th one, but it's small and convenient to leave in the car, rather than the big jug. But yeah, I'd rather save the money, lol!

You're 100% right with doing 3K oil changes. The premium stuff is not needed. But the five quart jugs seem to be the same/similar price anyways, so why not...

And about the GF-6/SP. Pennzoil was kind of slow getting pup up to that spec. It was weird because PP had it much earlier. I was using PP actually for most of my fiesta ST changes. Switched over when I realized pup was not GF6.

I was watching a project farm video recently and was quite impressed with the way the ultimate performed against everything else. In particular he a test simulating fuel dilution, and the pup outshined everything else.

However, I will check out the Valvoline EP. I like what you're saying about the moly. I'm going to dig deeper and maybe switch over to that for my next OC. 馃憤

Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited

Registered
2021 Crosstrek, 2.5 Liter, Pure Red, Limited
[QUOTE="jamesbob, post: 2136610, member: 307884
I will probably throw on a stalbhus drain valve or a Fumoto on my second change...
[/QUOTE]

Pennzoil Ultra Platinum and a Fumoto valve are part of my Limited's maintenance. I've been following a 5,000 mile schedule, which is easy to keep track of.

:)

Registered
'23 Limited
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I can send you mine that has been on my car for ~9,000 miles by the time I remove it. Just pay for shipping. I bought a Stahlbus valve and it will be replacing my Fumoto. I like the design better.

Thanks! but I'm leaning towards the Stahlbus myself, or the no spill systems drain valve

What I like about the no spill systems is that it has a smaller threaded portion that goes into the oil pan. I like the idea of the drain valve being flush inside the oil pan to ensure the most complete drain.
Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Number

Rectangle Parallel Font Plan Engineering

7.37 vs 12mm. I was researching last month, and if our oil pans are similar to the WRX, the threaded portion of our pans are about 8mm thick. So the no spill systems would be perfectly flush.

Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited
What I like about the no spill systems is that it has a smaller threaded portion that goes into the oil pan. I like the idea of the drain valve being flush inside the oil pan to ensure the most complete drain.
I hear ya, as I thought about that too wondering how far it would stick up. Nothing that a little grinder use wouldn't take care of. ;)

First I heard of the No-Spill system. Another great option.

Registered
I changed oil and filter on 22 Crossie manual at 545 miles. Changed again at 3000. Swapped filter only at 4500. Scoobie dealer gave me free oil, cabin and air 4x and going in now at 6000. Plan to keep a long time and prep for next owner. Diffs at 15k and trans at 30k. Might keep to 300k.
Tire Car Wheel Sky Vehicle

Registered
2021 Crosstrek Premium 2.0 CVT
1 - 20 of 38 Posts