Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
my 2021 Sport had its first oil change today at 7089 miles. i also had the tires rotated and air pressure checked. total cost was $89.22. I pulled into the shop at 9:10 a.m. and left at 9:30 sharp. I saved a sample of the old oil and sent it to blackstone for analysis. i'll post the results when i get them.

i'm thinking i'll do my next oil change after more 8k miles and the one after 9k more miles and so forth until 10k or 11k miles, and have all of those samples analyzed. that's the plan for now unless i lose interest or go broke :LOL:

Automotive tail & brake light Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

Liquid Drinkware Rectangle Fluid Tin

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2019 Crosstrek Limited
1,455 Posts
Probably not a bad idea to get an early oil analysis in this era of oil dilution with DI engines. But why are you repeating every 1k miles?

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Probably not a bad idea to get an early oil analysis in this era of oil dilution with DI engines. But why are you repeating every 1k miles?
that was clear as mud i'll do the next oil change at 15k miles -- 8000 miles from now and so forth (i'll add 1000k miles to each interval until i hit 10 or 11k).

i did this with my focus ST and settled on 10k mile intervals even tho blackstone said i could go longer between oil changes. 10k was easy to remember

·
Premium Member
835 Posts
Yea if you are planning for 10K mile oil changes. Its good to get it analyzed each time. This sample will on the surface have very high copper, silicon, and Iron. That's expected. I predict results will be normal for a vehicle with less than 20K miles.n Don't bother with the "TBN". I don't sample until 20K miles on the vehicle. Thats what I did on my '18 Forester and '19 Crosstrek.

Belo is my first analysis. I just took a sample but DID NOT CHANGE IT. I put 2K miles on the oil before changing. BTW I switched to 5W-30 after this change.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea if you are planning for 10K mile oil changes. Its good to get it analyzed each time. This sample will on the surface have very high copper, silicon, and Iron. That's expected. I predict results will be normal for a vehicle with less than 20K miles.n Don't bother with the "TBN". I don't sample until 20K miles on the vehicle. Thats what I did on my '18 Forester and '19 Crosstrek.

Belo is my first analysis. I just took a sample but DID NOT CHANGE IT. I put 2K miles on the oil before changing. BTW I switched to 5W-30 after this change.

i changed oil on my 2016 at 10k mile intervals beginning around 60k miles (and until 110k miles). i only had the oil analyzed once, after the first 10k interval and it looked great!

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited
182 Posts
Curious, what does Blackstone charge these days? I used to have it sent to Blackstone and then had Terry Dyson do a in depth analysis of the results. I stopped when his prices went up years ago.

·
Prefers black cats
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
12,931 Posts
Here's ours after 11 months since the previous change and only 3K miles during the pandemic. Will definitely be extending the intervals!

Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Pattern

Attachments

Reactions: erader

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited
182 Posts
30 bucks which includes postage
I can change my oil for that. :)

Here's ours after 11 months since the previous change and only 3K miles during the pandemic. Will definitely be extending the intervals!
Interesting. I am/was contemplating just changing it every ~6 months regardless of mileage. I'd be using SuperTech 0w20 full synthetic, which meets all factory specs and is made by Warren Oil Company.

Originally I was planning on using some good Motul (true group IV POA synthetic) oil with 5-6,000 OCI's, but with me not driving as much it would take me awhile to reach that mileage.

I'm thinking I'd rather just keep fresh oil in it and use cheaper oil vs the more expensive oil and much longer OCI's.....especially with these GDI engines, which I have read seem to do better (less buildup on backside of intake valve) having fresh oil. Fresh oil will not hurt anything, and if it only costs me $30 to change it, why not.

·
Prefers black cats
12,931 Posts
It has been a while since we had a good oil discussion, LOL!

When the pandemic hit I was concerned about oil going "off" and also gasoline. I had some problems decades ago with a Jag that wasn't driven much. That may have had more to do with British Leyland...

Even though the pandemic is easing here, I don't see us ever going back to how things were before. OtherAstroKat is only going into the office a couple of times a week, if that. Last week it was once and this week it may be twice. I've worked from home since 1996. We walk to all of the places we like to go, for shopping, restaurants, etc.

I guess the question is how to look after a car that's only used for 3K miles a year, mostly roadtrips into the mountains?

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited
182 Posts
yeah, I guess I don't want to open that can of worms...but I may have already removed the lid! LOL

I'm in a little different scenario than you and erader though, seeing I change my own oil. It's super easy to change on this car, so I can very easily do it as often as I want. :)

I guess the question is how to look after a car that's only used for 3K miles a year, mostly roadtrips into the mountains?
Personally, if driven shorter trips, I'd change it more frequently. Although your UOA shows that's not really needed. Sounds like when you do drive, you do a longer drive to get the oil up to temp where it can burn off condensation, etc....? Although fuel dilution may suggest otherwise..?

·
Prefers black cats
12,931 Posts
yeah, I guess I don't want to open that can of worms...but I may have already removed the lid! LOL

I'm in a little different scenario than you and erader though, seeing I change my own oil. It's super easy to change on this car, so I can very easily do it as often as I want. :)

Personally, if driven shorter trips, I'd change it more frequently. Although your UOA shows that's not really needed. Sounds like when you do drive, you do a longer drive to get the oil up to temp where it can burn off condensation, etc....? Although fuel dilution may suggest otherwise..?
If you open a can of worms, even just to peek inside, you've opened it! 😸

I had heard about the Blackstone analyses here, and was curious after our cars were sitting for so long during the pandemic. Our Crosstrek is subjected to mostly grocery runs and the occasional trip to the mountains. Seems it's doing very well!

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

When the pandemic hit I was concerned about oil going "off" and also gasoline. I had some problems decades ago with a Jag that wasn't driven much. That may have had more to do with British Leyland...

Even though the pandemic is easing here, I don't see us ever going back to how things were before. OtherAstroKat is only going into the office a couple of times a week, if that. Last week it was once and this week it may be twice. I've worked from home since 1996. We walk to all of the places we like to go, for shopping, restaurants, etc.

i drive my 2004 tundra maybe 1k miles a year. i change the non-synthetic oil every two years

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

this post has nothing to do with who changes the oil, and i cant see how it makes any difference to any oil longevity conversation

·
Registered
7 Posts
Someone mentioned "oil can". I wonder how many of the good folks here remember the paper oil can with the special can opener spout.

As for the oil. I'm sticking with 5000 miles oil, filter, rotate. My analysis entails looking at my bottom of my black oil pan for metal shavings. 2 changes into it and it is much better than previous cars.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Someone mentioned "oil can". I wonder how many of the good folks here remember the paper oil can with the special can opener spout.

As for the oil. I'm sticking with 5000 miles oil, filter, rotate. My analysis entails looking at my bottom of my black oil pan for metal shavings. 2 changes into it and it is much better than previous cars.
i have a P-38 on my key ring :cool:

changing oil too soon is better than too late. i changed my oil religiously every 3000 miles for many years but that was before synthetic oil and enlightenment :cool:

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited
182 Posts
LOL, don't worry, I like this thread! 😸 .
yeah, all I was trying to get at is, when it costs $90 to have your oil changed I can see where one would want to get as much out of the oil as possible to maximize it's cost while not sacrificing protection. It's analyzing cost/benefit vs oil longevity.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts