Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many miles did your original brake pads last and how much did it cost to replace them?

·
Registered
6,722 Posts
Over a year old and still on my first set
WHEN they go I will be getting RDA Slotted rotors and extreme Gold RDA pads

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info and fast reply, Scoob!

Anyone else do their first brake job, yet?

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
The XV is relatively a new style vehicle that does not have too much history yet as to how long brakes or anyother part last. More stop and go shortens the life of brakes as more highway lenghtens their life. My 95 Outback didn`t need brakes (front) till 102,000 miles and rears were still good. Traded the car in at 111,000 miles for a 99 SUS ( Outback sedan ) traded that in with original brakes at 83,000 miles on a 01 VDC Outback. Now that car ate brakes every 20,000 to 25,000 miles. My 07 Spec B had the original brakes when I sold it at 58,000 miles. I wonder who on this site has the most mileage on their XV and if they had a brake job yet.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
WOW, Mainiac, I'm amazed! I've always been accustomed to the 15-25k range for brakes. Then again, I am in an area where I may have a stop sign or traffic light every 500 feet when driving close to home. I think I also always bought the cheap pads :p Didn't know people were getting that much out of their brakes. Only reason why I asked was because my road trip is coming up and I recall reading somewhere that car companies sometimes skimp and put cheap starter pads in the car at the factory. Anyone else hear of this? Well, I hope the XV is similar to your Outback when it comes to the brakes!

·
Registered
6,722 Posts
Been on many road trips
Biggest one was from syd to qld and towing
And I am still on my first set
U should fine
I ve done 19460 on my first set and when got serviced they said I STill had heaps
The XV doesn't eat brake pads

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Awesome, Scoob! 19460, is that kms or miles?! Hey by the way, I noticed Tower Hobbies will have the rc model XV in late Sept. They'll also have the BRZ in Aug.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Just adding that brake life can really vary a lot, my Dad's GMC Sierra went 160k miles before needing it's first new set of pads (4 wheel disc brakes), the rotors were only turned once during that period. Then again my old car was only around 15k miles from it's last pad replacement and it was real close to needing new pads again (front disc, rear drum only talking about the disc ones since the drum shoes were doing just fine).

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, at the 50 000km service (actually 47000km when they did it) they replaced the rear brake pads. I am a pretty conservative driver, is this time frame normal? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
It's not in Subaru's interest to use parts that need replacing before 36,000 miles, due to the bumper-to-bumper warranty (they're not considered a "consumable," unlike the tires). I expect to get at least 60k on mine before I change any part of the brakes.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
WOW, Mainiac, I'm amazed! I've always been accustomed to the 15-25k range for brakes. Then again, I am in an area where I may have a stop sign or traffic light every 500 feet when driving close to home. I think I also always bought the cheap pads :p Didn't know people were getting that much out of their brakes. Only reason why I asked was because my road trip is coming up and I recall reading somewhere that car companies sometimes skimp and put cheap starter pads in the car at the factory. Anyone else hear of this? Well, I hope the XV is similar to your Outback when it comes to the brakes!
15k miles for brakes is really really bad. But you get what you pay for. The original pads on my bmw lasted 110k miles. Normally the original brakes are very high quality. So don't think they are crap. And when the time comes to replace them, don't cheap out. If you're spending like $20 for pads, you're doing it wrong.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
It's not in Subaru's interest to use parts that need replacing before 36,000 miles, due to the bumper-to-bumper warranty (they're not considered a "consumable," unlike the tires). I expect to get at least 60k on mine before I change any part of the brakes.
The warranty covers defective parts. Not stuff that wears out like wiper blades, motor oil, tires, breaks.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I recall the 3yr/36k warranty does cover premature wear of brakes, wiper blades, and a few other things. (I don't have it in front of me right now to quote exactly.)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts