Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Prefers black cats
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
14,531 Posts
Small displacement turbos are the next big thing to produce fewer emissions while providing decent power.
I've never owned a turbo so I can't comment. My supercharged Jag XKR was crazy fast and supposedly 23 MPG, which isn't too shabby. We don't get that with our Crosstrek.

·
Butchin' Moderator
2018 Orange Subaru Crosstrek Limited
1,386 Posts
Small displacement turbos are the next big thing to produce fewer emissions while providing decent power.
I've only had one turbo car. I found that it was possible to get excellent mileage if I just stayed off the throttle. It was also possible to find power and speed. It wasn't in my experience possible to do both. In time I got used to my small displacement engine consuming mass quantities of fossil fuel day to day. I wonder, given the obvious and proven fuel economy possible with a turbo, how much fuel is actually saved in real world driving? I suspect it's less than we would estimate looking at EPA measurements if idiots like me are at the wheel.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I've only had one turbo car. I found that it was possible to get excellent mileage if I just stayed off the throttle. It was also possible to find power and speed. It wasn't in my experience possible to do both. In time I got used to my small displacement engine consuming mass quantities of fossil fuel day to day. I wonder, given the obvious and proven fuel economy possible with a turbo, how much fuel is actually saved in real world driving? I suspect it's less than we would estimate looking at EPA measurements if idiots like me are at the wheel.
If people drive like "idiots" with a turbo, they will do the same with NA, so it's a wash; turbo effeciency still wins

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2021 XV 1.6i-S Eyesight, Crystal Black Silica with Black Leather Seats. 17" wheels/Yokohama Globule
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Reminds me of Brazil. Everything there is super expensive, and the exchange rate sucks.
However, You can import electric cars without the added Tax. See extract from the law.
Font Number Parallel Document Screenshot

But they have 2.0L engines available?!
Yes, There are shops that imports "parts" from Japan. We have a H U G E foreign used market here in where used car dealers import used vehicles from Japan. Top brands are Nissan, Toyota, Honda, Mazda and Subaru. (see pics). These shops are usually grouped up together and locally they're know as "The bamboo"

Building Motor vehicle Mass production Gas Factory

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Wood Scrap Waste

Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Auto part Machine Automotive exterior

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Limited
954 Posts
That is something that I have a really hard time understanding.
A turbo car vs. a N/A car both making 145HP will be using the SAME amount of gasoline to make that power- right?
Smaller displacement, but boosted to get more air in there, to which you still have to add the equivalent amount of gasoline to make the power wanted.
But, the turbo car is much more complex and higher maintenance.
Where does the great gas savings come in?

·
Prefers black cats
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
14,531 Posts
A turbo car vs. a N/A car both making 145HP will be using the SAME amount of gasoline to make that power- right?
Smaller displacement, but boosted to get more air in there, to which you still have to add the equivalent amount of gasoline to make the power wanted.
Gasoline in doesn't necessarily mean the same HP out. How much is burned efficiently, etc.

·
Registered
907 Posts
I believe the Forrester comes with the 2.0 engine but its almost 1/2 million TT (73K us)

It has something to do with climate change and the Paris agreement. Plus, Governments in the caribbean are full of corruption.
IMO, The Forrester with 2.0 is equally underpowered like XV with 1.6

·
Registered
907 Posts
The smaller turbo engine give better efficiency from the ability to fill up the combustion chamber using compressed air and less engine weight, but many have worse reliability

·
Butchin' Moderator
1,386 Posts
However, You can import electric cars without the added Tax. See extract from the law.
View attachment 309183

Yes, There are shops that imports "parts" from Japan. We have a H U G E foreign used market here in where used car dealers import used vehicles from Japan. Top brands are Nissan, Toyota, Honda, Mazda and Subaru. (see pics). These shops are usually grouped up together and locally they're know as "The bamboo"

View attachment 309182
View attachment 309181
View attachment 309180
Just returned from two weeks and x-mas in Camburi and Sao Paulo. Brazil is a beautiful country. Look forward to visiting again with more time, less holiday, as Brazil is as big as the US. Fiat Pick Up truck was surprisingly fun to drive. First place I've ever been in my travels where a few hundred folks on the beach, after watching a beautiful sunset, stood up, cheered and aplauded the sunset. Some nice folks there.

·
Butchin' Moderator
1,386 Posts
Could part of the issue be that using small turbos can basically be designed to fox the EPA standard test? The EPA standard test is mostly low load situations. The small turbo can work very efficiently at low loads so the turbo increases the EPA results by running more efficiently than a non-turbo. The application of high load changes things quite a bit and the big problem is to prevent knock so a pretty efficient fuel air mixture of 14.7 to 1 (low load) will change to a fuel rich 12 to 1 ratio or worse when you goose the throttle. The rich fuel mixture helps reduce the danger of knock in the cylinder but destroys fuel economy. Sometimes manuf. use reduced compression ratios too which do not promote efficiency. The point is that if you spool the turbo up to a level the manufacturer has determined is low enough not to dump extra fuel the smaller turbo engine (less weight of moving mass, less friction, etc.) and the forced induction can raise engine efficiency and increase your mpg. You just have to know where the manufact. has set the limit to allow high mpg numbers in the EPA tests. Mazda has, to some degree, countered this dynamic but I don't think I quite understand their engine well enough to know how. At least I think that's the reason.

·
Registered
109 Posts
It doesn’t come in. At least in the USA, we floor the car often enough to negate the advantages. Long boring story short; they’re more fuel efficient on EPA tests. The government isn’t going to change those tests now, they’re on this EV bandwagon that’s supposedly going to save the Earth. Here’s a video for a technical explanation as to why:

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Limited
954 Posts
It doesn’t come in. At least in the USA, we floor the car often enough to negate the advantages. Long boring story short; they’re more fuel efficient on EPA tests. The government isn’t going to change those tests now, they’re on this EV bandwagon that’s supposedly going to save the Earth. Here’s a video for a technical explanation as to why:

Mac:
Thanks for that EE video, I had not seen that before.
That is exactly what I was trying to say- but not nearly as eloquently.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I read somewhere that the ECU and BCU, etc., do not get along with other engines without a bunch of stuff to do. If I was going to go through all that, I would find a WRX motor. I often look at my 2021 CrossTrek MT and imagine that hot scoop on the top of the hood and tons of power under the hood.

Yeah Baby!
lift a 2010-2014 WRX Wagon and you can have you're baby!

21 - 34 of 34 Posts