Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2021 XV 1.6i-S Eyesight, Crystal Black Silica with Black Leather Seats. 17" wheels/Yokohama Globule
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can one swap out a FB16 in a 2021 VX with a FB20 engine from a Crosstrek?

Also, other than name (and engine size) are there any differences between the CT and the XV? Can parts be interchanged?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I read somewhere that the ECU and BCU, etc., do not get along with other engines without a bunch of stuff to do. If I was going to go through all that, I would find a WRX motor. I often look at my 2021 CrossTrek MT and imagine that hot scoop on the top of the hood and tons of power under the hood.

Yeah Baby!

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Crosstrek
196 Posts
I read somewhere that the ECU and BCU, etc., do not get along with other engines without a bunch of stuff to do. If I was going to go through all that, I would find a WRX motor. I often look at my 2021 CrossTrek MT and imagine that hot scoop on the top of the hood and tons of power under the hood.

Yeah Baby!
I was curious, so I looked on parts.subaru.com and there are different part #s for the ECU for the 2 and 2.5 L engines. That doesn't directly apply to the OP's question, but I would imagine that there is another ECU for the 1.6. parts.subaru.com only has US spec stuff though.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Crosstrek Limited
1,196 Posts
Can one swap out a FB16 in a 2021 VX with a FB20 engine from a Crosstrek?

Also, other than name (and engine size) are there any differences between the CT and the XV? Can parts be interchanged?
I think it's possible but like others have said you need the proper ECU in order for the engine to communicate with the car. Swapping it out should be easy since the transmission is essentially the same TR580 found in the 2.0 & 2.5 Crosstrek's here in North America.

·
Administrator
2021 Crosstrek Limited, Pure Red
5,020 Posts
I personally haven't heard of anyone doing it, but I'd agree that it's definitely at least possible, if you had the appropriate ECU. Most other parts are going to be interchangeable, as well, though I'm sure there are a few exceptions and there might be some potentially expensive trial and error involved.

·
Registered
2021 XV 1.6i-S Eyesight, Crystal Black Silica with Black Leather Seats. 17" wheels/Yokohama Globule
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I checked and they have the 2.0 Crosstrek in OP's country but I know some countries only sell the Crosstrek in a 1.6L.
Hi Arthur,

Its advertised in my country but its not sold due to the Government's import imposed on engines larger than 1499cc

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Good to know. I had a feeling that not every market would have the 2.0L for emission purposes. Does the Forester come with the 2.0L as well or does it have a 1.6L?

·
Prefers black cats
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
14,660 Posts
Hi Arthur,

Its advertised in my country but its not sold due to the Government's import imposed on engines larger than 1499cc
Interesting! Do you know why? Is it to do with emissions, or competition, or... ?

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Interesting! Do you know why? Is it to do with emissions, or competition, or... ?
I think it might have something to do with tax and emissions. That's how it is for Europe. Or it could be because the cost of fuel there is really expensive?

·
Prefers black cats
14,660 Posts
I think it might have something to do with tax and emissions. That's how it is for Europe. Or it could be because the cost of fuel there is really expensive?
My understanding for the UK and Europe is that the standard is 1.6L and the upgrade to 2.0L is available. Not sure about the 2.5L.

The "cost" of fuel is a difficult one as fuel isn't that expensive, and BP has been extracting oil from the North Sea for as long as I can remember. It's the taxes to curb the use of fossil fuel that seems more progressive in the UK and Europe.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
2.5L is only a North American option because we like to complain about our cars being underpowered and slow. Once we got the upgrade it's still considered slow by the journalists...

I'm pretty sure upgrading to a bigger engine will cost the consumer extra since Europe charges based on CO2. So for Subaru to offer the bigger engine they'll pay more but to recover that fee they'll charge the consumer more. Also, another reason why some manufacturers over there are dropping their bigger engines and only offering smaller displacement since they don't want to pay more in emission taxes.

·
Prefers black cats
14,660 Posts
2.5L is only a North American option because we like to complain about our cars being underpowered and slow. Once we got the upgrade it's still considered slow by the journalists...

I'm pretty sure upgrading to a bigger engine will cost the consumer extra since Europe charges based on CO2. So for Subaru to offer the bigger engine they'll pay more but to recover that fee they'll charge the consumer more. Also, another reason why some manufacturers over there are dropping their bigger engines and only offering smaller displacement since they don't want to pay more in emission taxes.
Yep, all of the above! The US needs to get used to more efficient ICE engines and if that means smaller displacements then so be it. They're just so far behind the curve, though, with 450ci engines being a status symbol or sign of manliness... :rolleyes:

·
Administrator
2021 Crosstrek Limited, Pure Red
5,020 Posts
The displacement regulations in the OP's country sound a little similar to the Kei Car regulations in Japan, which have existed for decades. I don't know all the specifics behind the Japanese program, but I think it had to do with encouraging a class of smaller automobiles that would be more affordable for lower middle-class people.

That sort of thing is probably a little less relevant today, and though of course we don't have an EPA estimate for a Crosstrek with a 1.6 engine, we know that there's virtually no difference in fuel efficiency between the 2.0 and 2.5 ... so the fuel-consumption argument is also at least slightly problematic. In general automotive terms, there's definitely not a consistent linear correlation between engine displacement and fuel efficiency, but I suppose it's an easy generalization to make ...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Good to know. I had a feeling that not every market would have the 2.0L for emission purposes. Does the Forester come with the 2.0L as well or does it have a 1.6L?
I believe the Forrester comes with the 2.0 engine but its almost 1/2 million TT (73K us)

It has something to do with climate change and the Paris agreement. Plus, Governments in the caribbean are full of corruption.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Yep, all of the above! The US needs to get used to more efficient ICE engines and if that means smaller displacements then so be it. They're just so far behind the curve, though, with 450ci engines being a status symbol or sign of manliness... :rolleyes:
Small displacement turbos are the next big thing to produce fewer emissions while providing decent power.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts