Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Limited - Suba
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Falken WildPeak A/T Trail - stock size on a Limited.

I've noticed an ever so slight increase in road noise, or maybe it's just a change in the timbre of the road noise. But it is not bothersome and I don't notice it at all with the music on.
I don't feel any significant difference in road manners. Handling is fine, ride is good.
I've been on surface roads, highway, gravel roads, and forest service roads and they have behaved well on all.
I have only had these on for about 300 miles and I don't seem to see a difference in gas mileage with mixed driving (as measured by the car). I think a little time will tell).
I don't do any off-roading where I need to worry about losing my oil pan, getting bogged to the door handles, or wedged between house-sized boulders, but these tires do give a bit of extra confidence on eroded forest service roads with stream crossings and muddy inclines.

EDIT 8/8/21: Just returned from a visit to my mom's and put about 1,000 more miles on, mostly Interstate and some smaller highways driving between 65 mph and 75 mph. These behaved very well. Average gas mileage, measured with good old manual multiplication puts me about 2 mpg less than the same trip on the stock Falken all weather tires. However, the trip on the stocks was in December with typical cold temperatures and the winter mix gas, so I don't consider it an exact comparison.

·
Registered
2021 Black Crosstrek Sport
2 Posts
They look really good! Nice to hear they're pretty comparable on the highway drives.
Not in a rush to swap my stock Geolanders yet, but I'm 1 month into owning my '21 Sport and these seem to come up a lot on builds I've seen along with Toyo A/T 3's and of course the beefy BFG K02's. At least these seem to be the three that catch my eye the most. Did you shop either of these before buying? Kinda seems like the Wildpeaks are most sensible for highway driving and a little less off-road oriented while the K02's are at the more extreme end.

I want to get more into the offroad exploring and camping (one easy weekend trail so far), but for now it's just my daily driver getting me to and from work. Probably going to keep the stock 17" wheels, as they look pretty nice to me for the time being, but a tire upgrade might happen sooner than later.

·
Registered
250 Posts
These are going on my wife's Sport this Saturday. Had them on the '14 XV we traded in for it, wrong size or I would have swapped them then.
The AT Trail performs excellent. They will probably have to be replaced for date code before tire wear as much as she drives though lol.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2018 Orange Subaru Crosstrek Limited
1,262 Posts
I have the same set up on my '18 Crosstrek. Same rims (18") and been driving for a few thousand miles. I agree generally with your experience. I do feel that the Trail tires are more "squirmy" under hard braking and metal grated bridges but not really a concern. I didn't measure the Falkens OEM tires noise, feel that the Trails are surprisingly similar in noise. My experience at my 400 mile 75 mph drive to LA both ways once or twice a month is that they hurt mileage around 2.5 mpg, generally I think 3 mpg is what I'm losing in total...scientifically on comparable drives but (as you mention) over seasons/weather not comparable. I don't expect them to last as long as my OEM Falkens. They are qualitatively better on loose rock,dirt, dust on California Special Vehicle roads/forest service roads/etc. Haven't had them on snow. I'm thinking of taking them to Death Valley and finally drive "The Racetrack" to the "moving rocks" but I'm sure I need a full sized spare as I don't think the Falken Trails have much of a sidewall with our 18" rims and I turned around last time when I saw the size of some of the loose rocks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The K02's are a body on frame based truck tire, which the Wildpeak AT3w, Cooper Discoverer AT, Hankook Dynapro, Nitto Terra Grappler, and the lot cater to. The Wildpeak AT Trail is suitable and positioned towards unibody based vehicles like the CrossTrek, Forester, Ascent, Nissan Rogue, Toyota Rav4, etc., with less rotational mass and softer flex zones compared to the truck base tires.

·
Registered
2019 Limited - Suba
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They look really good! Nice to hear they're pretty comparable on the highway drives.
Not in a rush to swap my stock Geolanders yet, but I'm 1 month into owning my '21 Sport and these seem to come up a lot on builds I've seen along with Toyo A/T 3's and of course the beefy BFG K02's. At least these seem to be the three that catch my eye the most. Did you shop either of these before buying? Kinda seems like the Wildpeaks are most sensible for highway driving and a little less off-road oriented while the K02's are at the more extreme end.

I want to get more into the offroad exploring and camping (one easy weekend trail so far), but for now it's just my daily driver getting me to and from work. Probably going to keep the stock 17" wheels, as they look pretty nice to me for the time being, but a tire upgrade might happen sooner than later.
I didn't really look too hard at the other brands. I get out hiking about once a month and not always on questionable roads, so it was important to me to have that balance of capability and comfort.

·
Registered
21 CT Sport
4 Posts
Awesome review. I’m planning on putting these on my sport in a few weeks. Good to hear the road noise isn’t terrible as that would be my biggest concern and why I didn’t want to go with the Wildpeak AT3 or KO2.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts