Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious if anyone has tried the Falken Wildpeak A/T Trail in 225/55 R18 on a Crosstrek. I have read good reviews of the 17s but have not seen anything on the 18s. Looking to mount them to OEM 18" wheels on a Crosstrek Limited.

·
Has Butch tires
2018 Orange Subaru Crosstrek Limited
827 Posts
I have that size on my 2018 Crosstrek Limited OEM wheels. They are not noticeably nosier than the stock Falkens were although I haven't measured this scientifically. They appear to have reduced mileage on my limited, over about 800 miles of use (50% city,) by a bit over 2 mpg, but too soon to talk about wear. They absorb impacts of potholes, more gently than the stocks. They track more loosely over metal drawbridges, wiggling a bit but not surprising and no big deal. I haven't found any difference in their traction on the streets, in the rain or dry. On dirt roads they are better and manage to clear rocks/gravel that get stuck in the tread easily ...making me order mudflaps. I bought them because they have advertised stronger sidewall protection when I do go on dirt roads.
My wife has announced to my children/grandkids that the tires are a vanity item and I'm just trying to make the car look "butch." Whatever. Let me know if you want and I can send a photo of the wheels/tires. With this short time of owning them I have no complaints and like them.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
10,754 Posts
I have that size on my 2018 Crosstrek Limited OEM wheels. They are not noticeably nosier than the stock Falkens were although I haven't measured this scientifically. They appear to have reduced mileage on my limited, over about 800 miles of use (50% city,) by a bit over 2 mpg, but too soon to talk about wear. They absorb impacts of potholes, more gently than the stocks. They track more loosely over metal drawbridges, wiggling a bit but not surprising and no big deal. I haven't found any difference in their traction on the streets, in the rain or dry. On dirt roads they are better and manage to clear rocks/gravel that get stuck in the tread easily ...making me order mudflaps. I bought them because they have advertised stronger sidewall protection when I do go on dirt roads.
My wife has announced to my children/grandkids that the tires are a vanity item and I'm just trying to make the car look "butch." Whatever. Let me know if you want and I can send a photo of the wheels/tires. With this short time of owning them I have no complaints and like them.
How many miles did you get out of the stock Falkens? That's what we have.

·
Has Butch tires
827 Posts
How many miles did you get out of the stock Falkens? That's what we have.
Very unhappy that OEM Falkens lasted about 32 K. Figured them for at least 40 K. They were rotated four times and alignment was checked twice as I'm a bit anal about stuff like that now that I'm retired. The wear was even along the profile of the tire but the fronts wore faster by far, no apparent alignment problems although given what folks say on this forum maybe I shouldn't trust my Firestone alignments? Tires were 34 lbs and never showed a change. I don't think of my self as tough on tires. Went soft roading three times but even there I don't think it was difficult on the tires as I was just taking it easy and goofing around. I did air down and back up again each of the three times but it's hard to believe that airing down to 24 lbs would cause immediate and drastic wear over 3 trips, each of less than 45 miles. Only additional piece of information is that I make a U-turn within my urban street every day, same place each time and I wonder if the Crosstrek's tires couldn't handle the turn as well as my Corolla did (50 K on it's tires.)

Just completed my oil change using my Stahlbus Valve...I love that damn thing! Woo hoo!

AstorKats, you are in LA. Have you ever take the Crosstrek into the Carrizo Plains National Monument? Just North West of the Grapevine (near town of Mariposa) it is quite beautiful with plenty of good and not good dirt roads to take the Crosstrek (check with the BLM nature center) Beautiful First People's painted rock art (pictographs) if you get a reservation and hike in. The Monument has giant soda lakes and is the premier spot to see the San Andreas Fault exposed ("The Dragon's Back" is the poster child of seismologists.) Keep an eye on their website as after rains the entire place is lousy with wild flowers, often see antelopes, giant kangaroo rats and other beasties. Lots of things to see. Biggest oil blow out in Taft, Oil Workers monument and museum. Get a book on tape to take along: "The Great Teapot Dome Scandal" and drive through what used to be the Naval Oil Reserve while listening to how presidents are created, groomed and then used by big oil. Tons of raptors and a remarkable place to take the Crosstrek off road. A pretty good book with some of the trails: "Guide to California Backroads & 4-Wheel-Drive Trails," by Wells and Peterson.

Any case a great place to honk around in while driving the Subaru.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
10,754 Posts
Thanks, we'll have to check that out!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is super helpful info- thanks!

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
18s and 17s won't be different. Your wheel will be heavier, adding a few lbs per corner. You will have less sidewall to protect you against curbs.

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited, Magnetite Grey, 1.5" ADF lift, RRW RR2-V 15x7, Geolandar G015 235/70R15
58 Posts
AstorKats, you are in LA. Have you ever take the Crosstrek into the Carrizo Plains National Monument? Just North West of the Grapevine (near town of Mariposa) it is quite beautiful with plenty of good and not good dirt roads to take the Crosstrek (check with the BLM nature center) Beautiful First People's painted rock art (pictographs) if you get a reservation and hike in. The Monument has giant soda lakes and is the premier spot to see the San Andreas Fault exposed ("The Dragon's Back" is the poster child of seismologists.) Keep an eye on their website as after rains the entire place is lousy with wild flowers, often see antelopes, giant kangaroo rats and other beasties. Lots of things to see. Biggest oil blow out in Taft, Oil Workers monument and museum. Get a book on tape to take along: "The Great Teapot Dome Scandal" and drive through what used to be the Naval Oil Reserve while listening to how presidents are created, groomed and then used by big oil. Tons of raptors and a remarkable place to take the Crosstrek off road. A pretty good book with some of the trails: "Guide to California Backroads & 4-Wheel-Drive Trails," by Wells and Peterson.

Any case a great place to honk around in while driving the Subaru.
I think you meant Maricopa. Mariposa is up closer to Yosemite, quite a ways from the north part of the Grapevine.

·
Has Butch tires
827 Posts
I think you meant Maricopa. Mariposa is up closer to Yosemite, quite a ways from the north part of the Grapevine.
You are right. Had butterflies on my mind I guess. Marposa not gateway to Carrizo that's for sure. Thanks!

·
Prefers non-orange cars
10,754 Posts
LOL, didn't catch that one. I'd have been sending @Raleighmclemore the bill for the wasted gas... 😸

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited, Magnetite Grey, 1.5" ADF lift, RRW RR2-V 15x7, Geolandar G015 235/70R15
58 Posts
LOL, didn't catch that one. I'd have been sending @Raleighmclemore the bill for the wasted gas... 😸
49 is actually a really fun stretch of highway in the Trek. The 140 takes you into Yosemite through the west rock arch entrance and follows along the Merced river and is a really pretty drive. But quite a few hours north of Tejon pass.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts