Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,
I own a 2021 Crosstrek limited and everything stock at this time. Planning to swap the all season tires with Falken Wildpeak A/T all terrain.

Current stock wheel and tires: 18" 225/55r18.

Being tight on budget I want to keep the stock wheels and buy tires with a bit extra wall as 225/60R18.

I guess that wheel wells are same size for previous years and 2021, did anyone try this spec with 18" wheels and extra wall tires? I have seen other thread with no lift no rub but did not find any specific for this.
I was chatting with tirerack and they suggested to hit the forum.

And curious, if I have to end up with 55r18 Falken all terrain, is it safe for my wheels and car going on truck trails? Any gas mileage drastic change? How to maneuver without losing wheel alignment? First time car owner :)

Any info is appreciated.

·
Registered
2019 Canadian Sport trim (6MT // 2.0 )
353 Posts
Has anyone seen/done an actual comparison of the Falkens vs the Geolandar G015s, especially in terms of road noise? (yes, I've searched forum after forum).
Both seem to be at the top of their category. Too bad Tirerack hasn't put them one against the other. Almost about to pull the triger on one of them..

·
Super Moderator
2020 Crosstrek Premium
1,183 Posts
Check out the sticky tire threads at the top of the forum.

You are correct that the wheel wells are the same 2018+. So the 225/60R18 will fit with stock wheels. I have the stock 17" wheels with similarly sized tires and they're great. (225/65R17)

It depends on what you mean by truck trails. Some folks think that a smooth gravel road requires wheels and tires, some like myself pushed the absolute limits with stock tires off road and knocked bumpers off. As I said, I'm very happy with my Falkens, but my next set will probably be Toyo Open Country AT3s in an even larger size. I guess I would say that if you're not worried about skid plates, then the Falkens would be plenty for you. If you are worried about bashing your oil pan open on the roads that you want to do, then maybe more capable tires would be needed... or maybe not.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I put the Falken Wildpeaks on my Sport in the stock size. They are definitely a little louder than the stock Yokohama Geolander G91's. Not unbearable by any means but is to be expected due to the more aggressive tread. It will help that you have the Limited with more insulation. The Sport seems to have extra as well over the lower models. I would assume the MPGs will drop a little too but as the car is new, I really can't say by how much. Wasn't really a concern. The Wildpeaks really look good and are a great fit on the Crosstrek.

·
Super Moderator
2018 Orange Subaru Crosstrek Limited
1,174 Posts
I have the 55 Wildpeaks on my stock 18" Limited rims. I haven't attempted to measure actual noise levels but I haven't noticed a difference is sound from the original Falkens. Over 4 K miles I am now down 3 (full) mpg when I measure on the highway driving 400 miles each way at 70-75 mph. City driving I am 1-2 mpg lower, but I'm less certain of this number. I've gone off road three times on easy/moderate trails, really forest service/dirt roads, some rocks that worried me with the stock tires sidewalls showing a gouge I really didn't like. The Wildpeaks are remarkably better on steep, dusty trails, no comparison for me much better traction. The sidewall of the Wildpeaks are advertised as being much sturdier than the OEM tires so I feel way more secure when I am driving on roads with sharper, loose rocks than just gravel roads. Still not much of a sidewall on the 55s though. Other things I've noticed is that the Crosstrek squirms now under hard braking, not dangerously so though. Not able to quantify this but I believe the Crosstrek can't handle sharp, twisting turns as well as OEM, but again if I am correct in this observation it hasn't been a deal breaker for me. Going over grated bridges the Crosstrek hunts much more with the Wildpeaks. Not surprising.
Worst thing is loss of mileage.
Best thing is that the vehicle feels way more secure and capable on dirt.

I have not got any sense of the wear of these tires yet but have to assume the won't last as long as the OEM Falkens and they didn't last very long either. We shall see.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Seems 225/60R18 potentially has some tire rubbing issue, so far for stock 18 rim, only 3 sizes are having no issues 235/50R18, 225/55R18, 235/55R18. Of course for off road smaller rim may have been more beneficial

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Has anyone seen/done an actual comparison of the Falkens vs the Geolandar G015s, especially in terms of road noise? (yes, I've searched forum after forum).
Both seem to be at the top of their category. Too bad Tirerack hasn't put them one against the other. Almost about to pull the triger on one of them..
i've owned both. i have about 50K miles on GO15s (two sets) and about 4500 miles on the wildpeaks. wildpeaks are as noiseless as stock tires. my first set of GO15s were noiseless. second set was buzzy. i don't know why that is unless something changed in production

both are great tires. i have used them both offroad but the wildpeaks have not seen snow yet. for my 2021 crosstrek in OEM size geolandars are a pound lighter. if i had to chose one TODAY i would get the wildpeaks

OP, why not stick with stock size? you may feel cooler with larger tires but probably no one else will notice and if you have a spare it won't be the right size

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i've owned both. i have about 50K miles on GO15s (two sets) and about 4500 miles on the wildpeaks. wildpeaks are as noiseless as stock tires. my first set of GO15s were noiseless. second set was buzzy. i don't know why that is unless something changed in production

both are great tires. i have used them both offroad but the wildpeaks have not seen snow yet. for my 2021 crosstrek in OEM size geolandars are a pound lighter. if i had to chose one TODAY i would get the wildpeaks

OP, why not stick with stock size? you may feel cooler with larger tires but probably no one else will notice and if you have a spare it won't be the right size
Wanted a bigger wall just to be safe when going off roading/trails. I am going to stick with stock size after seeing what @kr_xv said. I want no rubbing.

And @erader spare is my next thought. Will the compact stock spare Provided still usable with my actual tires changing(same size as stock)?

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Wanted a bigger wall just to be safe when going off roading/trails. I am going to stick with stock size after seeing what @kr_xv said. I want no rubbing.

And @erader spare is my next thought. Will the compact stock spare Provided still usable with my actual tires changing(same size as stock)?
yes

and honestly for driving on fire roads and such stock tires will do fine. on my last crosstrek i didn't switch to ATs till about 40k miles and i drove off road plenty and in the snow. i think alot of times theory and reality just don't square up. i see alot of over accessorized vehicles on the road that i'll bet rarely if ever see the conditions the owner envisioned when he "upgraded" his vehicle

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yes

and honestly for driving on fire roads and such stock tires will do fine. on my last crosstrek i didn't switch to ATs till about 40k miles and i drove off road plenty and in the snow. i think alot of times theory and reality just don't square up. i see alot of over accessorized vehicles on the road that i'll bet rarely if ever see the conditions the owner envisioned when he "upgraded" his vehicle
Agree on over provisioning the accessories.

Does the stock spare help to get out of steep and sharp gravel trails too?

I could really use some tips and knowledge going off road, link me if you have any.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Agree on over provisioning the accessories.

Does the stock spare help to get out of steep and sharp gravel trails too?

I could really use some tips and knowledge going off road, link me if you have any.
in 115k miles of driving two different crosstreks i have never flatted on or off road. i have had a couple of holes plugged but the tires didn't flat. my recommendation is to get your car and drive it on and off road. it's a very capable vehicle with plenty of ground clearance. from there you can determine if you need to upgrade anything.

on some road trips i drive offroad quite a bit (about 80 miles on the last trip) but i'm not rock crawling or drifting. i am a photographer. my feeling is if i needed all those mods and carp on my vehicle i really need a jeep or 4runner. i live in the city and drive on asphalt 99.9% of the time. for my purposes a crosstrek with AT tires (not truck tires) is perfect, and i have the experience and miles logged to back that claim

·
Super Moderator
2020 Crosstrek Premium
1,183 Posts
225/60R18 on OEM 18x7.5 +55 wheels will fit with no rubbing at all. Check out willtheyfit.com for a good comparison calculator. You can enter sizes that you know fit and compare them to sizes that you are considering. There are a bunch of examples of what fits here: Applies to All Model Years - Known wheels & tires...

The spare is a consideration. You probably shouldn't use the OEM spare with significantly larger tires or you could damage the AWD system (according to Subaru).

I wouldn't consider this type of tires to ever be over provisioning. If you slap KM3s and a winch on a Crosstrek, that might be different...

·
Registered
656 Posts
225/60R18 on OEM 18x7.5 +55 wheels will fit with no rubbing at all. Check out willtheyfit.com for a good comparison calculator. You can enter sizes that you know fit and compare them to sizes that you are considering. There are a bunch of examples of what fits here: Applies to All Model Years - Known wheels & tires...
On the thread, the 225/65R17 is reported a minor rubbing, 225/60R18 is even larger diameter so the rubbiing will be worse

·
Super Moderator
2020 Crosstrek Premium
1,183 Posts
On the thread, the 225/65R17 is reported a minor rubbing, 225/60R18 is even larger diameter so the rubbiing will be worse
Nope, no rubbing with stock tires on stock 17" wheels. I know because I have them. Check the first page of the wheels and tires that fit thread for my pictures before my lift.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Nope, no rubbing with stock tires on stock 17" wheels. I know because I have them. Check the first page of the wheels and tires that fit thread for my pictures before my lift.
Thanks Sarang, seems newer model is ok with stock rim, however 225/60R18 will still be bigger, so until someone report using the exact size is still risky on potential rub

·
Registered
200 Posts

If you mean the Wildpeak AT Trail, I can promise you they are incredible in the snow. Cold dry snow, wet slushy snow, frozen, melting, etc they are excellent. Ran them last winter on my wife's '14 XV.
Only snow that stopped her wad a 3 foit deep 5 foot wide snowbank at the end of our driveway dur a massive December storm. And that was because they weren't touching the ground any more. Once we got her back off the bank, she back through the 12+ inches in the driveway with no problem at all. 3PMSF rating earned.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
552 Posts
I put on the 225/60R17 Wildpeaks after 45k on my OEs and winter snows. I think the Wildpeaks feel a bit squirmy especially with a decent head or crosswind. Otherwise they don't seem louder. I haven't yet calculated whether fuel use is increased. My OE Geolanders were capable on rough roads but there was always the nagging doubt about thin sidewalls when on especially sharp stuff. The Wildpeaks aren't a noticeably aggressive looking tire but they do give me a bit more confidence in the rough especially as I usually don't carry a spare.

·
Registered
2019 Canadian Sport trim (6MT // 2.0 )
353 Posts
There's always the option of 215/65R17. Few here consider narrower tires, but it's not something to write off. Less rolling resistance, less road noise, better grip in some situations, within speedo specs.

My old 08 impreza had 205/55R16s, on a sportier car with more torque and nearly the same weight (3070 lbs - vs the Crosstrek, 3110 lbs). That translates to 10% less circumference, and 10% less width, thus resulting in a significantly smaller contact patch. Two conclusions: Crosstrek tires will wear more slowly, and there is nothing wrong or unsafe in scaling down their size - at least as far as width goes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I put the Falken Wildpeaks on my Sport in the stock size. They are definitely a little louder than the stock Yokohama Geolander G91's. Not unbearable by any means but is to be expected due to the more aggressive tread. It will help that you have the Limited with more insulation. The Sport seems to have extra as well over the lower models. I would assume the MPGs will drop a little too but as the car is new, I really can't say by how much. Wasn't really a concern. The Wildpeaks really look good and are a great fit on the Crosstrek.
Do you have any pictures of the wildpeaks on the sport wheels? Thinking about doing the same with mine.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts