Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Folks,

After researching this for a while and talking to a few mechanics (well they gave me a free assessment by driving with me), we were unable to come up with a conclusion. I was told that I can bring it in and have them try to isolate the sound, but obviously that would cost $$. So I thought I’d drop by here first as a last resort.

I have a 90,000KM 2013 XV with a CVT. When I accelerate on the highway and get to 40-50+ KM/H, I start to hear a very feint high pitched whistle sound coming from the front (perhaps even the passenger side). The sound is VERY feint. So feint that if I have my radio on at the lowest volume, I won’t be able to hear it.

A couple of other observations and points:
* It’s not a serpentine belt as I already replaced it last month

* The sound does not go away and is there even when the vehicle is fully warmed up

* When I am in neutral or park and rev the engine, I don’t hear anything. So it’s only there when the vehicle is in motion

* I don’t think it’s related to the AC as I still hear the sound when the AC is off

* When I swerve left and right, the sound doesn’t seem to change (apparently that’s one way to check it the bearings are going bad)

* Lastly, when I was replacement my V-Belt, I noticed that there were a few rodent dropping’s in the engine bay. I will take a look at it again in the morning, but I couldn’t see anything chewed up. So maybe something could be chewed up? But what would make that sound?

Has anyone ever dealt with this before? The sound doesn’t like catastrophic but now that I know about it, I can’t unhear it.

My only guess would be that it’s the front wheel bearing starting to go bad. But do wheel bearings make High pitched sounds?

·
Registered
649 Posts
Any possibility it could be noise from wind?

artosa

Reactions: rlouie

·
Super Moderator
8,379 Posts
Good idea. A few weeks ago I added wind deflectors to the doors which required me to temporarily remove the stripping on the windows. I’ll give it a shot tomorrow!
Also, the weather stripping shrinks a bit with age so you might want to condition the stripping on the entire car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Folks,

Thanks for your input, I made sure the weather stripping was fully inserted and took it for a test drive. Unfortunately, the sound is still there. As a matter of fact, I even tried to drive with the windows open and I could still hear the sound.

What I DID notice is that the sound goes away when I apply the break pedal... even the slightest pressure, makes the sound temporarily go away! After listening to it a bit more, it sounds a bit like a very faint, high pitched whistle/grinding sound (it's difficult to pinpoint as it's so faint).

Maybe I should just ignore it as it's so quiet...

But based on the fact that the sound goes away when I apply the breaks, any ideas what it could be?

Thanks folks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey Folks,

After researching this for a while and talking to a few mechanics (well they gave me a free assessment by driving with me), we were unable to come up with a conclusion. I was told that I can bring it in and have them try to isolate the sound, but obviously that would cost $$. So I thought I’d drop by here first as a last resort.

I have a 90,000KM 2013 XV with a CVT. When I accelerate on the highway and get to 40-50+ KM/H, I start to hear a very feint high pitched whistle sound coming from the front (perhaps even the passenger side). The sound is VERY feint. So feint that if I have my radio on at the lowest volume, I won’t be able to hear it.

A couple of other observations and points:
* It’s not a serpentine belt as I already replaced it last month

* The sound does not go away and is there even when the vehicle is fully warmed up

* When I am in neutral or park and rev the engine, I don’t hear anything. So it’s only there when the vehicle is in motion

* I don’t think it’s related to the AC as I still hear the sound when the AC is off

* When I swerve left and right, the sound doesn’t seem to change (apparently that’s one way to check it the bearings are going bad)

* Lastly, when I was replacement my V-Belt, I noticed that there were a few rodent dropping’s in the engine bay. I will take a look at it again in the morning, but I couldn’t see anything chewed up. So maybe something could be chewed up? But what would make that sound?

Has anyone ever dealt with this before? The sound doesn’t like catastrophic but now that I know about it, I can’t unhear it.

My only guess would be that it’s the front wheel bearing starting to go bad. But do wheel bearings make High pitched sounds?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello fellow Crosstrek owners. I own a 2017 Crosstrek that developed a high pitch in cab noise(like having your hearing tested). It would start around 60 miles an hour and stay constant no matter if you sped up or slowed down. Tried various remedies to solve it, but to no avail.
Fortunately, it was still under warranty and brought it to the local dealer. The good news is they solved the problem, so for all of you suffering from the noise, here's the answer.... The cause of the noise is a bad propeller shaft. If your car is not under warranty, it's a fairly expensive repair, unless you are a mechanic or have connections.
Hope this helped anyone with this problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey Guys, I bought my Crosstreck used very recently like 5 days ago lol MY 2014 XV with a CVT - 47k miles. I took it on my first longish trip, 2 hours, to gain some trust in her.
I noticed this whistle sound as well, it’s super faint and almost faint enough to be ignored and chalk it up to a aerodynamic flaw in the body but it’s noticeable enough to want to do some research and I’m glad I stopped in to check. I noticed it when I was accelerating at speeds aforementioned in other comments 50-65 mph and suuuper noticeable when running cruise control. Very weird, will have to take it to the dealer and see if it’s the propeller shaft.
Hello fellow Crosstrek owners. I own a 2017 Crosstrek that developed a high pitch in cab noise(like having your hearing tested). It would start around 60 miles an hour and stay constant no matter if you sped up or slowed down. Tried various remedies to solve it, but to no avail.
Fortunately, it was still under warranty and brought it to the local dealer. The good news is they solved the problem, so for all of you suffering from the noise, here's the answer.... The cause of the noise is a bad propeller shaft. If your car is not under warranty, it's a fairly expensive repair, unless you are a mechanic or have connections.
Hope this helped anyone with this problem.
TallTwin - I’m curious what mile warranty it’s covered till. Thanks for your help!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts