Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Wow, what a trip so far.

I've never had an experience quite that bad.. A month or two after I had bought a new 2014 Evo X I noticed a clicking coming from the right rear.. I noticed that even by slightly depressing the service brake pedal that the noise would go away. It being a new car and all I took it back to the dealer so they could take care of it, thinking it would be a quick job, taking then brake pads out, looking things over, maybe grease it up a it.. That sort of thing.

Went for a drive with the head mechanic, and he could hear the noise.. Back at the dealer he put it on the lift. Came back 20 mins or so later and said, well, it needs a new rear diff. Huh?? No way, I said. Are you sure?? I doubt there's anything wrong with it.

Yes, he said, and that he better be sure because it's an expensive warranty repair.

Alright.. Have at er.

They gave me the worst loaner, ever. The tiniest Mitsubishi they had. Sounded like it was about to break apart.

Anyway, 3 days later I got my car back, brand new rear diff. Drove home, and once I pulled off the freeway going down residential, there it was; click click click click.. Depress the brake pedal 1mm, noise gone. Hah!

I ended up pulling the tire and brake pads myself, lubed things up (brake shims) and noise was gone.

I did end up telling them about it. Can't quite remember their response, but they weren't too impressed.

Anyway, point is... Did your dealer even check the fluid level in the transmission?? The damn car is telling them that the fluid is low. Did they check it??

·
Registered
'19 Crosstrek Limited, White Pearl
65 Posts
Not related to Subaru, but a somewhat similar and laughable experience as well. In late '93, bought a used Dodge W150 (4WD 1/2 ton pickup). Had about 65K on it. Sadly, previous owner used to towing 5th wheel camper. I still bought it as it was a good price. My first vehicle with AC and 4WD. Sadly, in the spring, it started to overheat. I immediately took it to the dealer, they gave me a loaner for a few days to diagnose and fix it. Said it was all good, just need a coolant flush.... What? Anyway they did it, it was good for the ride home, then week later, there I am on on the highway with steam pouring out from under the hood. This time I opted to go to a Dodge dealership for diagnostic / repair. They kept it for 3 months. I had a new Dodge dakota 4WD for a loaner for that time. Eventually, they gave it back saying they could not figure out why it was overheating. replaced thermostat, water pump, hoses, a few sensors, etc. My cost was $0. Anyway, guessing he tired of me complaining, father-in-law at the time said I should take it to this guy that specializes in radiators for all vehicles. So, I drive up in the truck, it is steaming by the time I get there. I pop the hood and he sees the radiator and says "why do you have a car radiator in there?" I said it came with the truck. He mumbled about how useless and irresponsible car manufacturers were. Anyway, he goes ahead abd pulls it and takes it into his shop. Puts it on the workbench, puts a huge tub under the outlet and cover the outlet and fills the radiator with water. Then he pulls his hand away and says "there is your problem, you have no flow". Honestly, the water gushed out. REgardless, he removed the top of the radiator and rodded out the cores, took him about an hour. Then put all back together again and I never had another problem until the radiator finally rusted out. My replacement radiator, that I bought online, was identical to the bad one. Just crazy.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts