Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, just took my 2017 Crosstrek CVT in to the dealer for the 30k recommended maintenance. Oil change, brake flush, fuel flush, throttle cleaning... Car has always run well. Got it home okay. Next day the car started rough but got me to work and back. The following day I had a really hard time starting the car, got to work, had a hard time starting after work and then car was sputtering and jerking when I let off the accelerator. No problem during acceleration. Parked the car and it started pinging and rattling like crazy. Turned it off and restarted with hood open. Pinging, squealing and a strange recurring swishing sound. No smoke, steam, dashboard lights. Called Subaru immediately and said I didn't think the car should be driven as one of the sounds seemed like valves. They told me that was typical if the computer didn't reset correctly. 2 days later? They asked that I drive it in-45 min away. Switched it out for a loaner. They're telling me that the throttle body is stuck open after repeated cleanings and that they are assessing the engine for damage after replacing the spark plugs. They asked me if I put gas in after the service. Nope-filled up 1 wk prior at Exxon. No update yet but not a good first Subaru experience. Will see what they have to say today or tomorrow. If they can provide a sufficient explanation and replace everything harmed, I may just ask them to extend the warranty. Anybody else have this type of experience?

·
Registered
68 Posts
The dealer asked if the vehicle had been refueled after the service probably because it exhibits symptoms that could indicate fuel contamination.

From your narrative, it appears that only the dealer has done anything with the fuel system. However, you had no issue driving home for 45 minutes after the service. A throttle body cleaning and fuel flush are not part of Subaru's 30K service schedule. What exactly is a fuel flush?

After you arrived home from the dealer, did you park in a garage, driveway or on the street?
Why is the dealer replacing spark plugs and resetting computers?
Was your Crosstrek involved in the EGR valve replacement campaign?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just so other owners know...The Subaru dealer contacted me Friday to say that they had indeed damaged the engine in my basically brand new car by performing their recommended maintenance. They said that the induction cleaning mister was not misting but instead pooled cleaning solution around my valves. A valve then stuck, bent and a rocker arm fell off. So all the pinging, slamming and swishing I was hearing was a valve problem (Just as I told them on the phone when I said I didn't think the car should be driven back to the shop) and not a computer that had to relearn my driving habits after having the battery disconnected. They stated they are now rebuilding the engine reusing the head and engine body. They said they are filing a claim with Valvoline who serviced the induction cleaner. I'm wondering why the technician didn't catch this. Although I am not being charged for the repairs or the loaner car, I'm not comfortable with this solution. I brought up extending the warranty further. I have lost trust in both the dealer and the long term reliability of a rebuilt engine. I would think that with such a major mistake that they shouldn't just fix the problem but offer even more. When I said I was worried about tolerances and such they say that a master Subaru mechanic is rebuilding the engine but I believe garages outsource these services.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I'd tell them to keep the head and block and all the rest of the trashed engine and install a new out-of-the-box engine with a new warranty starting at day 1. Rebuilding your engine will never put it back to the condition it was in 10 minutes before they trashed it. Either that or a 100K mile warranty on the rebuild starting at day 1.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Sorry to hear about your situation. My mechanic also owns a 16 Trek, just like mine. I’m going to follow his lead, about maintenance. He’s very knowledgeable, and not out to make bank on me. I try to stay away from dealerships, unless it’s a free recall type issue. I agree that they should replace your motor with a new one. It would probably save them time and money in the long and short run. They should also give you free service for life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2019 Crosstrek Limited
893 Posts
@RayA Thanks for the update and keep us posted. You have every right to insist on a genuine SOA extended warranty at the very least.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would call SOA and ask for a better resolution.
Thanks Orndog. Very practical advice but I was so enraged I didn't think of it. Called Subaru of America and got a case number. They told me I had to work everything through the dealer and I should call back if I didn't get resolution. I called the dealer back and asked for the general manager. Employees were evasive and routed me back through service saying they did not have a general manager and wouldn't immediately supply the regional manager's name. I contacted the sales manager and requested a trade up to a 2020 Crosstrek so they could accept the risk of the "better than new" engine rebuild. Not a lot of negotiating power outside of Subaru brand since the car would have been devalued with a CarFax report. They initially lowballed me on the trade in value at only 14,500. Pretty disrespectful since they did damage a perfectly good car. After a few days I got what I considered a fair deal and traded up this weekend. I was debt free with the 2017 and am not the type to ever trade up but definitely some improvements with features and handling on the 2020. I won't be giving this dealer my service business in the future.

·
Registered
2018 Orange Subaru Crosstrek Limited
372 Posts
You have every right to demand a new engine. Since the dealer says they are filing a warranty claim with Valvoline over their faulty machine then what possible skin does the dealer have in the game not to give you a new engine? Subaru Corporate should be on this, again if their trusted dealer screws you and wrecks your car. Subaru isn't going to pay so they should be pushing the dealer for the engine. Subaru and it's dealer aren't paying for it but they will pay for an angry customer exposing their lousy service. Keep notes of your calls, keep records of what is done.
On a previous problem with my daughter's Toyota Dealer they had tried to fix the car twice and returned it with the problem still obvious. I wrote an accurate but angry review for YELP and a full on the dealer not solving her RAV4 problems but charging her for it on the third attempt. Dropped it off with the car at the dealer owner's mailbox with a note saying that if they can't fix the car I would post the letter and have my family post on social media. I don't know if this helped but Toyota fixed the car on the third try.

·
Registered
2018 Crosstrek Premium, Sunshine Orange
212 Posts
This is an issue of dealer negligence rather than vehicle defect, so the law would look at it as a tort rather than warranty issue, and the dealer, not SoA, would be liable (although you might argue that SoA was negligent in misrepresenting the dealer's compentence). You need to be thinking in those terms.

Under general principles of negligence you are entitled to be restored to the position you would have been in if the tort had not been committed, and not in an improved position. See, e.g., Negligence - Wikipedia.

Had the negligent damage not occurred you would have had a car with an engine that had operated for 30,000 miles. Since your car would not have had a brand new engine you are not now entitled to a new engine, nor a new vehicle, unless for some other reason a new engine or new car should be provided to make you whole. Such other reason might be the inconvenience resulting loss of use of your car, but should be something specific and concrete and not speculative nor just "I want more."

If interested, you might be in a position to negotiate a great deal on a new car with your damaged car as a trade in.

You may have rights and remedies under local law, and might want to consult an attorney who does consumer law litigation.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Sorry to hear about your situation. My mechanic also owns a 16 Trek, just like mine. I’m going to follow his lead, about maintenance. He’s very knowledgeable, and not out to make bank on me. I try to stay away from dealerships, unless it’s a free recall type issue. I agree that they should replace your motor with a new one. It would probably save them time and money in the long and short run. They should also give you free service for life.
Please, only follow your friend's lead about maintenance if he just follows the manual for servicing. There is no need for any other maintenance for your car. Add ons like throttle cleaning aren't part of the manufacturer's recommended schedule and can actually compromise the reliability of your engine which has been modelled on a required availability and relaiability resulting from a specific maintenance regime.

In short, if Subaru don't require it in the manual, don't do it. Your dealer (however friendly they are) will try and sell you extras that sound good for your car. They are are only good for his pocket. Learn to say no to your dealer.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Fuel flush or throttle cleaning is bs. Not ever needed. I would had them talk to my lawyer. He is not nice. (to dealers)
I would have pushed them to a new car not a rebuild. The car is screwed over for life for sale or trade.

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
Never posted back..only 3 posts. Call me suspicious but chalk this up to "fairy tale". No profile no location, no location of dealer. I could be wrong.

·
Registered
2017 Crosstrek Limited
1,210 Posts
Is this Astro's alter ego? Adc, Astro da cat??? :)

Never posted back..only 3 posts. Call me suspicious but chalk this up to "fairy tale". No profile no location, no location of dealer. I could be wrong.

·
Registered
2018 Orange Subaru Crosstrek Limited
372 Posts
The dealer asked if the vehicle had been refueled after the service probably because it exhibits symptoms that could indicate fuel contamination.

From your narrative, it appears that only the dealer has done anything with the fuel system. However, you had no issue driving home for 45 minutes after the service. A throttle body cleaning and fuel flush are not part of Subaru's 30K service schedule. What exactly is a fuel flush?

After you arrived home from the dealer, did you park in a garage, driveway or on the street?
Why is the dealer replacing spark plugs and resetting computers?
Was your Crosstrek involved in the EGR valve replacement campaign?
I'm not sure of the exact procedure involved in a "fuel flush." It may not be the same in all Subaru Dealers since it is not a required piece of Subaru maintenance, but I know the fuel flush has something to do with your wallet being cleaner when complete. Take the car back for sure and have them check it out. It is too much of a coincidence that you have them do all that work and the problem then occurs.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts