Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noob asks- I am looking for a 2021 Premium Grey with black interior M6 and my local dealer is struggling to come up with one. Does anyone have experiance having a car ordered from the factory, is that even possible? If it is what should I expect in terms of ordering, timing pricing etc? Thanks for you thoughts.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have a 21 Limited. To get the car without a moonroof, auto dimming mirrors etc I had to order it. It was a simple process with the dealer. It took about 2 months to arrive. I don’t believe it made a difference in the price whether I ordered it or not.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
11,095 Posts
Many folks here have done it. Lots of info here:

Reactions: Sarang

·
Registered
2020 Premium 6MT
292 Posts
I ordered my 2020 Premium 6MT. Easy - did it over the phone and email. I was able to negotiate on the price just as if the car was sitting in their showroom. Then, I sat back and waited about two months. Of course, it's not super-fun to wait but when your car comes in exactly the way you wanted it, it's worth it!

Good luck!

·
Registered
2017 Crosstrek Limited
1,481 Posts
I ordered my 2017 exactly the way I wanted it. Came earlier than they had expected. It was worth it. I never understand why people settle and compromise on the few the dealers have in stock when you can order what you want, unless it is an emergency purchase.

Reactions: Blueredgreen

·
Registered
11 Posts
I ordered my 2020 Premium 6MT. Easy - did it over the phone and email. I was able to negotiate on the price just as if the car was sitting in their showroom. Then, I sat back and waited about two months. Of course, it's not super-fun to wait but when your car comes in exactly the way you wanted it, it's worth it!

Good luck!
So you ordered first then negotiated the price or did you contact the dealer to let them know what you were ordering?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I emailed a local dealer telling them exactly what I want and asked for a otd price and what the order process is. They came back instructing me to "go to the Subaru website do a "Build and Price" build the exact Crosstrek you prefer and that would give you the price. Once you build the car you can save it. Let me know the build number and we can order it for you." This seems like a lame effort after they have been emailing and calling me daily for the past 10 days, especially after they quoted me a nice discounted price on a more fully equipped comp. Maybe they aren't all that interested in my business or I expect too much.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I emailed a local dealer telling them exactly what I want and asked for a otd price and what the order process is. They came back instructing me to "go to the Subaru website do a "Build and Price" build the exact Crosstrek you prefer and that would give you the price. Once you build the car you can save it. Let me know the build number and we can order it for you." This seems like a lame effort after they have been emailing and calling me daily for the past 10 days, especially after they quoted me a nice discounted price on a more fully equipped comp. Maybe they aren't all that interested in my business or I expect too much.
Where are you located?
I scoured autotrader and cargurus for about 1 month and would contact any dealer that had something that fulfilled my requirements.
I was searching for a 2021 Crystal Black Silica Premium 6MT.
Lucked out with a dealer that allowed me to negotiate everything via email.
Vehicle was actually in transit sitting on a ship so I only had to wait 1-2 weeks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Where are you located?
I scoured autotrader and cargurus for about 1 month and would contact any dealer that had something that fulfilled my requirements.
I was searching for a 2021 Crystal Black Silica Premium 6MT.
Lucked out with a dealer that allowed me to negotiate everything via email.
Vehicle was actually in transit sitting on a ship so I only had to wait 1-2 weeks.
I'm in central Jersey and have also been looking at Autotrader and Cargurus but have not yet found a Grey Premium 6mt yet. I'm happy to wait but not sure how to play the factory order game if necessary. Shouldn't be that difficult I think.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm in central Jersey and have also been looking at Autotrader and Cargurus but have not yet found a Grey Premium 6mt yet. I'm happy to wait but not sure how to play the factory order game if necessary. Shouldn't be that difficult I think.
It was kind of hard to find a black premium 6MT within the NYC area. There were plenty in base trim, but not premium for some reason.
I got lucky finding mine in Long Island. Worth the 1.5 hr drive to the dealership.
On top of being able to negotiate fully via email, the dealer fee was ridiculously low....$75.
No crazy hidden charges.
If you're willing to trek out to LI, let me know and I can give you the contact info for the person I dealt with.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It was kind of hard to find a black premium 6MT within the NYC area. There were plenty in base trim, but not premium for some reason.
I got lucky finding mine in Long Island. Worth the 1.5 hr drive to the dealership.
On top of being able to negotiate fully via email, the dealer fee was ridiculously low....$75.
No crazy hidden charges.
If you're willing to trek out to LI, let me know and I can give you the contact info for the person I dealt with.
Sounds good, I'll see if these Jersey guys come through

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update- negotiated a good deal and ordered the car exctlly as I want it, just have to wait until August to take delivery which is a bummer but it's still all good.

·
Registered
2020 Premium 6MT
292 Posts
Update- negotiated a good deal and ordered the car exctlly as I want it, just have to wait until August to take delivery which is a bummer but it's still all good.
Excellent! As Tom Petty said, "The Waiting is the hardest part." Don't worry, though, you'll really appreciate it when it finally arrives. Glad it all worked out for you.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
11,095 Posts
That's what I'm waiting for, trying to find a good deal on a 2021 haha. I don't know what the 22's could have that would make me choose one over the 21.
I doubt the '22 will be much different (but I was wrong about the 2.5l in the '21, LOL).

One thing to consider is that when you come to sell it, you'll have a car that's a model year older than cars of a similar age and mileage. Something to think about.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts