Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 Crosstrek With eyesight, I want to know if anyone have ever tint the front windshield with the eyesight? And if tint did the eyesight still work normally.

·
Registered
2017 Crosstrek Limited
1,350 Posts
I have been told no tinting anywhere on the windshield. That is tough here in Florida where we always at least have a tint brow in the front. I do notice my knees and hands get very hot, especially with such a cab forward design as ours. I sure wish I could at least dark tint the top few inches.

·
Registered
2018 Crosstrek Sport 6 MT
3,340 Posts
First of all Welcome to the forum

Some notes from Joe Spitz site

Notes
Eyesight uses two forward facing cameras to see the road ahead, and only works when they can 'see'. Don't block the camera's views, put anything reflective on the dash, hang anything from the rear view mirror, or clean the dash so that it's shiny. Replace the windshield wipers as necessary. The Eyesight cameras will turn off if the windshield fogs up of they can't see for any reason.
do not touch or try to clean the EyeSight camera lenses. It is imperative that extra precaution be used when cleaning the inside of the windshield, because over-spray from cleaners may impair or even damage the cameras’ lenses, which is not a warranty issue.

Cheers

Troutbum

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just so you guys know I recently got a 2020 legacy with eyesight and tinted the whole front windshield at 30% the shop I took it too (tint my ride) had a guy who had a subi with eyesight and he told me the whole windshield is better than the strip and not to go below 30% so I went with 30 and I have no issues with eyesight at all, and belove me I've tested it the cruise control and all at night as well the rest of my windows are 5% so it looks pretty dark from the outside while providing good shade on the inside.
Screenshot_20201121-234920.jpg

·
Prefers non-orange cars
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
9,759 Posts
Eyesight aside, is that even legal in your state? Most states only allow you to tint the top few inches. As for Eyesight, unless you're a Subaru engineer you can't possibly know whether it's being affected. Cruise control may work but the safety features are probably operating at reduced capability. It specifically tells you in the manual not to apply any coatings or films to the windshield.

See:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Actually I work at suburu and know all the techs and engineers as you say, very well infact who also say suburu put that so they can cover their own *** and I can upload a extensive video of me using all of eyesights features that work 100% fine including at night, and no of course this ain't legal but honestly idc don't think that's cops number one priority is to pull people over cause of tint at least just in my state (colorado) Everyone is tinting their car past legal limits cops are not gonna pull everyone over for it plus I've tinted my windows this dark since I started getting cars 8 years ago still no troubles from cops

·
Prefers non-orange cars
9,759 Posts
If you really do work at Subaru and know the engineers, I'd be more impressed if you uploaded the Eyesight calibration data that proves it has had no effect whatsoever.

Reactions: SubaruBill

·
Registered
20 Posts
Alright dope if that proves me right I can do that. Currently I'm on my 3 day weekend but I do return Tuesday, so stay tuned I'll give you what you want!

·
Registered
20 Posts
No worries everything is gravy! I'm new here I get it, I'm just really excited to share this knowledge with the people here, I really feel like it could help that's all

·
Registered
2017 Crosstrek Limited
1,350 Posts
🕶 Following closely 🕶

Reactions: AstroKats

·
Prefers non-orange cars
9,759 Posts
^^^^ LOL, I cannot imagine that a 30% tint will have no effect on EyeSight, a visual safety system that needs to be able to "see", especially at night. I'm trying to be open-minded, though...

I also wonder about the forum policies and whether they are OK with someone promoting something that they agree is illegal!

·
Registered
Crosstrek Outdoor, Subaru Legacy 2.0 GT spec.B
116 Posts
Actually I work at suburu and know all the techs and engineers as you say, very well infact who also say suburu put that so they can cover their own *** and I can upload a extensive video of me using all of eyesights features that work 100% fine including at night, and no of course this ain't legal but honestly idc don't think that's cops number one priority is to pull people over cause of tint at least just in my state (colorado) Everyone is tinting their car past legal limits cops are not gonna pull everyone over for it plus I've tinted my windows this dark since I started getting cars 8 years ago still no troubles from cops
Thanks for doing the testing - it's great to see mods tested properly :cool:
My main concern with the excessive tints is that if the police pull you over for something else - they will always have that to fall back on if they cannot make another offence stick - you know what I mean?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yeah I understand lol I'm not a crazy driver usally if you practice safe driving it pays off. The cops here tend to prioritize other things I've been next to several cops and never been pulled over

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2019 Crosstrek Limited
1,147 Posts
Just so you guys know I recently got a 2020 legacy with eyesight and tinted the whole front windshield at 30%
Eyesight aside, driving with a 30% tinted windshield at night is like driving with sunglasses at night. I hope your compromised outward visibility at night does not cause an accident!

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.