Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

Subaru Crosstrek 2018 Premium w/EyeSight owner.

I have a question about EyeSight system that doesn't work properly.

So, while driving a highway at around 62-68 MPH at night the EyeSight was offline all the way.
While driving in a city, the System goes on and off, I get "EyeSight disabled no camera view" and lane assist and collision assist are off.

I read that during foggy weather, rain or at night it tends to go offline, but in my case it's random in every weather. The windshield is clear from the inside and outside.

What I found was that when I stop by the red light and then start accelerating, or if I have to move slowly in a city, while constantly using brakes, the system is on for some time, but when I start speeding up, it shut's down.

What could cause this problem?

·
Prefers black cats
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
12,144 Posts
We just had a very similar post here, a few minutes ago:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We just had a very similar post here, a few minutes ago:

I saw this and other threads concerning this issue, but mine is not dependent on weather.. I dug myself and this might be somehow connected to brakes/brake switches?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Is the inside and outside of your windshield immaculate? Could be the eyesight lense having issues "seeing". I know my MY21 is very picky on working/not working if I even get a tiny spec on the windshield.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is the inside and outside of your windshield immaculate? Could be the eyesight lense having issues "seeing". I know my MY21 is very picky on working/not working if I even get a tiny spec on the windshield.

Yes it's perfectly clean. I don't know why or how, but could it be connected to brakes? When I stop and drive, it goes on, but when I accelerate it goes off, I will continue observing this, if they are connecting to the braking system..

·
Prefers black cats
12,144 Posts

I find this very strange. We've had ours for well over three years and it only shut off once in a dark garage with a dirty windshield. Ours is not the cleanest car (last wash in November 2019) and we've been in rainstorms, snow, desert dust, etc.

Reactions: Kman

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Could the navigation panel somehow be connected to this? Because the previous owner changed the panel with Subaru Forester 2020 navigation, because it had a CD input.

·
Prefers black cats
12,144 Posts
Could the navigation panel somehow be connected to this? Because the previous owner changed the panel with Subaru Forester 2020 navigation, because it had a CD input.
FYI, we have the Limited with the HK/nav option and no problems in 3.5 years...

·
Registered
2021 Base CVT Crosstrek
149 Posts
Sounds like the issue occurs often enough that you should show it to a mechanic.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sounds like the issue occurs often enough that you should show it to a mechanic.
Well yes I have to do it, but don't live in US, we don't even have official Subaru dealership so I have to run from one mechanic to other to get down to this issue, before someone understands what's the problem, I wanted to avoid that 😁

·
Registered
2018 XV
12 Posts
Hello everyone!

Subaru Crosstrek 2018 Premium w/EyeSight owner.

I have a question about EyeSight system that doesn't work properly.

So, while driving a highway at around 62-68 MPH at night the EyeSight was offline all the way.
While driving in a city, the System goes on and off, I get "EyeSight disabled no camera view" and lane assist and collision assist are off.

I read that during foggy weather, rain or at night it tends to go offline, but in my case it's random in every weather. The windshield is clear from the inside and outside.

What I found was that when I stop by the red light and then start accelerating, or if I have to move slowly in a city, while constantly using brakes, the system is on for some time, but when I start speeding up, it shut's down.

What could cause this problem?
Have had mine since 2018 and the only time the Eyesight doesn't work was with extremely heavy rain. The same kind of rain that I myself battle to see the car right in front of me. Otherwise, never get the Eyesight disabled message. Granted we get no snow down here.

I assume you have the genuine Subaru Windshield? Perhaps take it to the dealer does not sound normal to me. Could try and recalibrate Eyesight.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
This is probably because he is missing his telematics unit. The car can't process data required for Eyesight to function.

Refs: Model Year 2018 and Newer - No sound in front speakers /...

·
Registered
40 Posts
This is probably because he is missing his telematics unit. The car can't process data required for Eyesight to function.

Refs: Model Year 2018 and Newer - No sound in front speakers /...
How can that be suddenly missing if the car came with it?

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
How can that be suddenly missing if the car came with it? Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk
Good question.
The sort answer is... someone removed it.

Check the reference threads in my last post.
  1. The connectors are there but the device isn't (he's got a nice picture of them hanging loose).
  2. He said "Previous owner installed 2020 Subaru Forester head unit that is missing Starlink unit." That "Starlink unit" is the telematics unit, also known as the Data Communication Module.
  3. The telematics unit manages the stereo camera (Eyesight) and it isn't there so, Eyesight isn't working.
  4. He has three different symptoms in three different posts; all of which are all answered by lack of telematics.

·
Prefers black cats
12,144 Posts
Welcome back Doca! 😸

How does that explain the OP's experience of it randomly turning on and off? I'm wondering if it's the windshield or a calibration issue. Maybe even dirty camera lenses...

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Welcome back Doca! 😸

How does that explain the OP's experience of it randomly turning on and off? I'm wondering if it's the windshield or a calibration issue. Maybe even dirty camera lenses...
Hi, AK!

I haven't had much to add in a long time so I pop in and out.

"EyeSight disabled no camera view"
Post #14, point #3: "The telematics unit manages the stereo camera (Eyesight) and it isn't there so, Eyesight isn't working."

The rest of the system works and wants to run, but it fails because it hasn't got the main sensor, the stereo cameras.

How it reacts differently when on the highway and when in the city, I don't know for sure. I speculate that various city driving conditions cause reset signals.
For example; when the car otherwise knows it's stopped, it might not be not using the cameras. When it sets off, it wants the cameras, fails due to lack of input an shuts itself off. Next stop and start, it tries and fails again.

That said, the reason the car isn't lighting up with malfunction signals is because the car's brain is the ECM inside the telematics unit.
Here's the guy's picture, showing the unit's unattached connectors: ref: Model Year 2018 and Newer - No sound in front speakers /...

·
Prefers black cats
12,144 Posts
Post #14, point #3: "The telematics unit manages the stereo camera (Eyesight) and it isn't there so, Eyesight isn't working."
Yeah, just read your novella on that one... 😸

Reactions: Doca

·
Registered
2,613 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Crosstrek Limited
1,512 Posts
Bored at work and just happened to have good resources; what can I say? Lol
Well I say, thanks for popping in and out and adding your valuable experience and knowledge. It sure has helped me build the great sound system I have now and taught me more about our Eyesight system than Subaru ever did.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Bored at work and just happened to have good resources; what can I say? Lol
My friend, thank you so much for your response!

I do have several problems, but I thought the main problem connected with absence of telematics unit were front speakers and missing microphone, but appears it's more than that!

Luckily I live in a country, where some people buy damaged cars (on Copart), dissemble them and sell the parts, so I got this unit in no time today. It's in another city and they will deliver it in 2-3 days. I will install it and let you and everyone know who it goes!

Once again, thank you!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts