Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi from the UK

The Crostreck (aka XV), just been released this month in the UK and still waiting for my local showroom to get it in for test drive.

I just test drove the Mitsubishi Eclipse and that uses a laser beam rather than radar, so since Subaru just uses normal camera, doors it see the car rear lights and use that for tracking?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looking forward to test driving it and hope the driver seat, sits lower down from the steering wheel than the Mitsubishi eclipse cross ?

·
Prefers non-orange cars
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
9,470 Posts
Welcome, from an ex-pat now living in Santa Monica!

The Eyesight system analyzes the images from the stereo cameras for Pre-Collision Braking, Adaptive Cruise Control, Lane Keep Assist, etc. so, as Greywolf wrote, if you can see it, so can Eyesight. The manual warns about conditions under which it may not work (e.g. heavy rain or fog) and also this one: When driving at night or in a tunnel when there is a vehicle in front that does not have its taillights on

So, yes, it's looking at the rear lights of the car in front, as well as the lane markings, etc.

Ours has worked all the time, daytime and nighttime, since we got it in November but we haven't driven in any really bad weather yet.

Reactions: CRAZYHAWK

·
Registered
758 Posts
I have driven hours on end through the night with my 2017, and the EyeSight was brilliant. Bright direct sunlight affected it a couple times, and also a little fog still at the top of the windshield affected the Eyesight for e few moments.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I've lost mine during heavy snow; but, I couldn't see either. I have had two false alarms, once for a flock of birds on the road's shoulder who decided to fly in front of me and once for a Diesel pickup trucks heavy exhaust as the driver was trying to be "cool".

Other than that, I love the system!

·
Prefers non-orange cars
9,470 Posts
We're on a mini road trip, up Pacific Coast Highway to the wine country. I noticed the Lane Keeper go off a few times when it got confused about the lanes. Sometimes when the lane markings changed, sometimes when they were very curved (on windy roads) and sometimes when there were high contrast shadows across the road (low sun and trees along the side of the road). I'll post my findings in more detail later.

Note that EyeSight is a collection of features. I don't believe the entire thing shuts down if it can't see something. For example, the adaptive cruise continued to work even when it couldn't determine the lane markers.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Really ticked off 2019 limited owner here. Apparently my Eyesight has gone on vacation. Drove tonight, bright road, bright lane makings, no lane keeping, eyesight chirped once about crossing the line, no correction on its part. Only have 7300 miles on the car. Not too happy with this recent event. Is there a sensitivity setting somewhere?

·
Registered
Crosstrek Outdoor, Subaru Legacy 2.0 GT spec.B
61 Posts
Mine has kicked out a few times in really bad weather. One in rain so hard that the wipers could hardly clear it on full speed. Once in really thick fog. Often the lane centering goes off on tight twisty roads.
You have to remember it is there as an aid... it is not an autonomous driving vehicle!

·
Registered
2018 Orange Subaru Crosstrek Limited
580 Posts
Interesting that Level 2 autonomy (SAE Level 2 Driving Assistance) is being advertised as available for many late model Subarus including my 2018 Crosstrek. This is a $1,199 add-on to over 100 later model cars. It is offered by Comma AI's Open Pilot. I'm not sure at all about how this would change driving the Subaru. The company claims that it would give the Crosstrek equivalent autonomy of Cadillac "Super Cruise." You can read more here:

We Tested OpenPilot, the $1,199 Device That Adds Entry-Level Autonomy to Your Car

I have no plan of purchasing it as I'm concerned an AI system will likely turn out to be smarter than me ..."Open the pod bay door please HAL...."

·
Prefers non-orange cars
9,470 Posts
IMHO, it's not just "on" or "off"!

Reactions: SubaruBill

·
Registered
Crosstrek Outdoor, Subaru Legacy 2.0 GT spec.B
61 Posts
From reading that - OpenPilot looks like it is very similar to the updated eyesight in the 2021 models?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Drove around last night, bright, well marked roads, Eyesight did nothing. I crossed the center line and it only warned once out of 4 crossings. There was no steering correction. Tried it below and at 30 mph and up to 50 mph. Got in the car today, bright sunny day. No indicator lights as to any malfunction. I even wiped the windshield, inside and out. Drove at various speeds on a newly paved and lined road, where it used to work....nothing. Just got off the phone with my dealer. I should be getting a call on Monday but the guy mentioned a realignment. Oh yeah, tire pressure is good. Beginning to wonder about this driving aid.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
9,470 Posts
Drove around last night, bright, well marked roads, Eyesight did nothing. I crossed the center line and it only warned once out of 4 crossings. There was no steering correction. Tried it below and at 30 mph and up to 50 mph. Got in the car today, bright sunny day. No indicator lights as to any malfunction. I even wiped the windshield, inside and out. Drove at various speeds on a newly paved and lined road, where it used to work....nothing. Just got off the phone with my dealer. I should be getting a call on Monday but the guy mentioned a realignment. Oh yeah, tire pressure is good. Beginning to wonder about this driving aid.
He probably meant recalibration like you should do after getting a new windshield. If you end up getting that done, see if you can get some kind of report of the before and after. I'm really curious about this - we've had some (sometimes heated) discussions about this here and I don't believe Eyesight is either on or off, rather that its performance degrades with poor visibility, stuff mounted on the dash or mirror, etc. and that eventually it reaches a threshold where they've determined it's not going to be reliable. There may be some kind of report that indicates how far out of whack it was.

Reactions: SubaruBill

·
Registered
244 Posts
He probably meant recalibration like you should do after getting a new windshield. If you end up getting that done, see if you can get some kind of report of the before and after. I'm really curious about this - we've had some (sometimes heated) discussions about this here and I don't believe Eyesight is either on or off, rather that its performance degrades with poor visibility, stuff mounted on the dash or mirror, etc. and that eventually it reaches a threshold where they've determined it's not going to be reliable. There may be some kind of report that indicates how far out of whack it was.
Will do.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Really ticked off 2019 limited owner here. Apparently my Eyesight has gone on vacation. Drove tonight, bright road, bright lane makings, no lane keeping, eyesight chirped once about crossing the line, no correction on its part. Only have 7300 miles on the car. Not too happy with this recent event. Is there a sensitivity setting somewhere?
Hi @EddieZ2 apologies in advance if this is a redundant question.
Have you checked if the Lane Keep Assist button down near the fuse cover has been accidentally turned off? If so, it defaults to Lane Departure Warning instead so there won't be a light on your dash to let you know LKA is off but LDW will beep at you if you come close/cross the lane markings and won't correct your steering just as you described.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Quick question... Does Eyesight Lane Correction, steering wheel nudge turn on at a certain speed? A couple things since my original post... I increased air pressure to 34 psi in all 4 tires. Took it out at 30 mph. Lane Keep warning beeped but no lane nudge. Took it up to 40, Lane Keep warning beeped and a nudge occurred. I don’t recall seeing anything about when it turns on the nudge factor. I started messing with tire pressures because the system reads that and if the guy at the dealer mentioned a realignment I figured I’d at least try something. I don’t ever remember it being this temperamental. It’s like it now has sunglasses on. It does next to nothing at night. Strange bit of kit.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts