Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 Crosstrek that is about to finish its lease. I have signed for a new 2018 Crosstrek Limited with Technology Package. This will be my first Subaru with the EyeSight system. I have a highway transponder and was wondering if I can still mount it behind my rear-view mirror without affecting the EyeSight system. Same goes for a dash-cam that I want to mount there as well. Any comments from EyeSight users?

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have a 2015 with Eyesight and I mount my transponder behind the mirror with no effect. I believe some 2018s also have a third camera attached to the mirror for automatic headlight dimming that might make that space unavailable....no experience with a dash-cam. Enjoy your new ride.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I never even considered the transponder being an issue. Pretty much everyone in my area has them. I'm sure if there were a problem, it would be well-known.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I posed this same question to Subaru Canada Customer Care and their response was: "The transponder should go in the upper left or upper right hand corner."

They sent along this diagram showing the "Prohibited area."

EyeSight prohibited area.jpg

·
Registered
2019 Limited with Eyesight
371 Posts
My dash cam is just below the rear view mirror(2015 Limited). It's in the "Prohibited area" according to the above diagram. Eyesight works fine, dash cam works fine.

·
Registered
52 Posts
You can't even put anything at the top center dash?
According to Subaru, I put my camera in the no go zone, but it's out of the way and doesn't interfere with anything. Eyesight is not THAT wide angle to ever have the dash cam get in the day. The dash cam is an A119 by the way. I will be posting some instructions on the install and hardwiring in the electronics section shortly. This is a 2018 Limited by the way, with Auto Dimming mirror that I added as an accessory.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I also have the Viofo A119 dash cam, but I'm waiting until I get our new 2018 before doing the install. No point in installing it in our 2014 for the sake of eight weeks until delivery. I am interested in how you ran the power wire to the 12-volt source.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I also have the Viofo A119 dash cam, but I'm waiting until I get our new 2018 before doing the install. No point in installing it in our 2014 for the sake of eight weeks until delivery. I am interested in how you ran the power wire to the 12-volt source.
See here. I got the Autodim mirror accessory, which came with a pigtail I tapped into. Link has the picture of the pigtail, perhaps you can order it separately. It plugs into an existing wire plug that's hidden in the roof in the center roof console, it's pre-wired for autodim mirror even if your car doesn't have it. If you don't want the auto dim mirror (which I think is great, as you have HomeLink garage door opener and compass on it too), I am sure you could just order that pigtail piece.

http://www.subaruxvforum.com/forum/lighting-electrical/138002-hardwire-dashcam.html#post1646689

·
Registered
42 Posts
I was told by my dealer to put my toll transponder in either the upper left or right hand of the windshield as to not come in conflict with the Eyesight system. I also read in the manual not to put anything in the middle section of the windshield because of Eyesight. So anyway, I put it on the passenger side upper corner. After the first day through the tolls, I verified on the toll website that they were taken correctly.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
I posed this same question to Subaru Canada Customer Care and their response was: "The transponder should go in the upper left or upper right hand corner."

They sent along this diagram showing the "Prohibited area."

View attachment 238505
There's a better picture out there showing a tiny area of zone just to the right and left of the mirror. That's where my transponder has been for almost 2 years without any issues. Your dealer can help you find that spot if you have any issue. My dealer helped attach my transponder before I ever leave the lot.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Being in Illinois I put mine in the upper right hand passenger side. The dealer told me this was the best place.
My toll transponder is in a clear case that sticks to the windshield. I have eyesight limited 2016.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The attached is from the EyeSight Manual in my 2019 CrossTrek Premium. I've been driving the car for 5K miles and finally wondered, "Where should I put the transponder?" The gray area is No-Go, even that little tray area in front of the clock. Someone told me it helps to actually crack the manual, which I finally did today. The 2nd attachment is the Metro FastTrak preferred mounting locations (California). The position behind the mirror is not possible with EyeSight.
EyeSight.jpg
FastTrakMounting.jpg

·
Registered
2018 Orange Subaru Crosstrek Limited
227 Posts
I have a 2014 Crosstrek that is about to finish its lease. I have signed for a new 2018 Crosstrek Limited with Technology Package. This will be my first Subaru with the EyeSight system. I have a highway transponder and was wondering if I can still mount it behind my rear-view mirror without affecting the EyeSight system. Same goes for a dash-cam that I want to mount there as well. Any comments from EyeSight users?
Didn't appear to be room for my Fastrak box under the Eyesight stuff without interferring with my own eyesight. I don't particularly care for the location but my Fastrak is now at the lowest driver's side corner of the front window. Seems to work ok there.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yeah, I'm not thrilled with lower left, but there's the ease of use issue with manually switching between 1-2-3 passengers

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
6,829 Posts
This comes up all the time... 😸

I settled on the driver's side, top, outside of the Eyesight no-go zone for our dash cam. No experience with transponders.

Whatever anyone else says here, that they did XYZ and didn't have a problem with Eyesight, I don't believe anyone really knows what effect a mod will have on Eyesight's performance. Maybe its effectiveness is reduced by 10% and you're OK with that. It's your car.

Also, worth noting, it's not just the obstruction of the cameras' field of view but also reflections on the windshield that Eyesight is not expecting to see.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts