Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my Subaru CrossTrek Premium and I'm getting familiar with the vast number of techno gadgets. I saw the manual has a 'map' of the area where placing anything could affect EyeSight. I need to mount my EZPass toll transponder, and I don't want to block or diminish the effectiveness of EyeSight. Has anyone had experience with this?

I should also post this separately after searching the Forum, but I'm also looking at the fuse box and wondering about adding my 2m radio - there are "empty" slots. Is there a list of which are powered (always on, or switched)?

Looking forward to the CrossTrek and the Forum.

·
Registered
2017 Crosstrek Limited
1,132 Posts
Same for me. Mine is one toward the side a few more inches. Never a problem.

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
7,340 Posts
We don't use toll passes but I've experimented a lot with dash cams. At the top, either side of the Eyesight bezel seems to be OK. Also behind the mirror but it must be really high up and a small device/holder (since this is technically in the Eyesight no-go area.

I just installed our latest cam on the driver's side because I want to see the LEDs. If I were to install a toll pass I would put in on the passenger side.

·
Registered
16 Crosstrek Premium Quartz Blue Pearl
929 Posts
The EZ Pass should work pretty much anywhere on the windshield. So just put it anywhere that it's out of your way. It can't really be placed in the way of Eyesight hardware.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I use a toll transponder on my ‘18 Crosstrek (it’s not EZPass but a similar-looking transponder pack) and it works just fine from inside the glovebox. No issues whatsoever.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is helpful...my concern was with affecting the EyeSight functionality, but it's interesting that the transponder is even visible from inside the glovebox. Mine came with an envelope that would block the signal reaching the transponder for those times when you might not want the toll/parking going onto your account. I would have thought the dash might have enough metal to block or reduce the signal if the transponder is in the glovebox. The other issue might be those windscreens that contain metallic elements for defogging/defrosting. I had heard there are some issues with through-the-glass antennas for this reason (or as a result of whatever is used for the privacy tint). I guess you can't make assumptions based on prior experience given all the tech. I also heard cautions about routing wiring down the side posts because there are often airbags mounted there. All of that makes the forums an even more important resource.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
This is helpful...my concern was with affecting the EyeSight functionality, but it's interesting that the transponder is even visible from inside the glovebox. Mine came with an envelope that would block the signal reaching the transponder for those times when you might not want the toll/parking going onto your account. I would have thought the dash might have enough metal to block or reduce the signal if the transponder is in the glovebox. The other issue might be those windscreens that contain metallic elements for defogging/defrosting. I had heard there are some issues with through-the-glass antennas for this reason (or as a result of whatever is used for the privacy tint). I guess you can't make assumptions based on prior experience given all the tech. I also heard cautions about routing wiring down the side posts because there are often airbags mounted there. All of that makes the forums an even more important resource.
You can wire stuff down the post (the A-Pillar) as long as you go behind the side curtain airbag (I learned that one here, too - thanks Doca!)

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had a problem at first.I certainly didn't want to interfere with Eye Sight. Turns out I was concerned for no reason. My Easy Pass rests at the bottom of the window right in the middle. I have the transponder in a holder that lifts the transponder up bit so that it's not blocked by the rear of the engine lid. It works just fine.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
I had a problem at first.I certainly didn't want to interfere with Eye Sight. Turns out I was concerned for no reason. My Easy Pass rests at the bottom of the window right in the middle. I have the transponder in a holder that lifts the transponder up bit so that it's not blocked by the rear of the engine lid. It works just fine.
If it's in the bottom at the middle, that is NOT good. Check the Eyesight manual - only at the sides!

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
My toll road transponder is located in the lower left corner of the drivers side windshield. It is out of the way of the ES completely. We call them FastPass here in SoCal. They also have a slide switch on the back to turn them off if desired. And it beeps when read. When my wife wants to use it in her Crosstrek with ES, she just sets it down on the left corner of the dash and it works just fine. She doesn't want to put the Velcro strips on her windshield as she doesn't use it often.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Our EZ-Passes are mounted on the windshield immediately below the mirror mount. They're within the OK zone for EyeSight and out of our sight as well. They work just fine there. Really they'll work most any place you put them. As for the "no-read" envelope, that's their story - in reality I don't believe the ones they're sending now will do anything except protect them from static since all they are is anti-static bags. The old ones were multi-layer foil bags that probably would have provided enough shielding to prevent the transponders from reading.

·
Registered
2018 Orange Subaru Crosstrek Limited
289 Posts
My toll road transponder is located in the lower left corner of the drivers side windshield. It is out of the way of the ES completely. We call them FastPass here in SoCal. They also have a slide switch on the back to turn them off if desired. And it beeps when read. When my wife wants to use it in her Crosstrek with ES, she just sets it down on the left corner of the dash and it works just fine. She doesn't want to put the Velcro strips on her windshield as she doesn't use it often.
Exactly the same for my Fast Pass location. Seems to work fine there and it is out of my sight. I have to hang my parking pass behind the rear view mirror and that doesn't seem to affect anything.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts