Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had Subaru with eye sight since 2015 up to now. But the 2021 Outback model I’ve encountered the eye sight will turn off and on by itself and it happens at night. The Forrester2015& Outback 2017 models that I used to own I never encountered this issue.Took the car to the dealership and they can’t find any issue they claim.
Then 2 days after I took the car to the dealership from SFO airport to Fremont at midnight the eye sight keeps turning on and off, clear sky, no fog or rain low 50’s on the temperature that really bothers me.
Anyone has the same issue as mine?
Second - I attended a midnight mass last Christmas it was raining made a left turn signal and I’m by myself on the road suddenly on the dash board showed red sign to force you to stop, like you’re about to hit in front of you, which it doesn’t make sense, the rain was pouring steady not a strong down pour, no fog, no one was in fromt or around me.

·
Registered
2017 Crosstrek Limited
1,667 Posts
Sounds like it is definitely malfunctioning. I would try and take video of it the next time it happens to show the dealer techs.

Reactions: ttaf42 and Skyfix

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited, Crystal Black Silica, Black Interior, 2016 VW Touareg Luxury
69 Posts
We've only had ours for a little over a week. I was driving in a heavy downpour and it did turn itself on and off a few times and one time it acted like I was about to get sideswiped. After that it's been fine. Guess I'll keep an eye on it.

·
Prefers black cats
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
14,661 Posts
We've only had ours for a little over a week. I was driving in a heavy downpour and it did turn itself on and off a few times and one time it acted like I was about to get sideswiped. After that it's been fine. Guess I'll keep an eye on it.
In four years I only recall it shutting down in really heavy rain.

·
Administrator
2021 Crosstrek Limited, Pure Red
5,020 Posts
No vehicle's driver assist technology is anywhere near close to perfect at this point, EyeSight most definitely included. Mine briefly shuts off once in a while when the lane markings aren't clear enough for it, which I get, but it also does that at occasional times when the lane markings seem perfectly fine to me. The lane centering definitely takes some getting used to, but now that I've gotten to know it I'm at least semi-pleased with how well it works. A couple of times, though, it's done an unnecessary evasive maneuver that might have gotten me into trouble if I'd been completely distracted. O brave new world ...

·
Prefers black cats
14,661 Posts
No vehicle's driver assist technology is anywhere near close to perfect at this point, EyeSight most definitely included. Mine briefly shuts off once in a while when the lane markings aren't clear enough for it, which I get, but it also does that at occasional times when the lane markings seem perfectly fine to me. The lane centering definitely takes some getting used to, but now that I've gotten to know it I'm at least semi-pleased with how well it works. A couple of times, though, it's done an unnecessary evasive maneuver that might have gotten me into trouble if I'd been completely distracted. O brave new world ...
We don't have the latest version with lane centering, which would be nice. It has lane keep, which means that if you let it, it will bounce you back and forth between the lane markers.

I think there's some confusion here between it losing a lane marker (which I've had happen quite often) and the entire system shutting down due to poor visibility which I only recall happening once due to heavy rain.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Crosstrek Limited
1,196 Posts
My Eyesight camera has gone offline when it was foggy, heavy rain, and one time I was on a really dark road. When it went off when I was driving on the dark road it went off for about 30 seconds then came back on.

Maybe your camera lens is dirty/the camera module is malfunctioning causing you to have these random errors.

·
Prefers black cats
14,661 Posts
Maybe your camera lens is dirty/the camera module is malfunctioning causing you to have these random errors.
Just a thought, cover up the camera housing if using a hand car wash. If the guy sprays stuff all over the inside of the windshield it's likely that some will get on the lenses.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Crosstrek Limited
1,196 Posts
Just a thought, cover up the camera housing if using a hand car wash. If the guy sprays stuff all over the inside of the windshield it's likely that some will get on the lenses.
I don't go to a full-service wash but when I clean the windshield I spray the cleaner on the towel outside of the car so there's no overspray inside that might hit the lens.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2019 Crosstrek Limited
1,545 Posts
We don't have the latest version with lane centering, which would be nice. It has lane keep, which means that if you let it, it will bounce you back and forth between the lane markers.
After having driven an Ascent (rental) with lane centering, I would much rather have lane keep. I found the constant lane centering somewhat annoying.

·
Prefers black cats
14,661 Posts
After having driven an Ascent (rental) with lane centering, I would much rather have lane keep. I found the constant lane centering somewhat annoying.
That's interesting. I haven't experienced it. I can see how that would be annoying, though, if it's always doing it. The lane keep only nudges if it thinks you're about to cross a lane marker.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had Subaru with eye sight since 2015 up to now. But the 2021 Outback model I’ve encountered the eye sight will turn off and on by itself and it happens at night. The Forrester2015& Outback 2017 models that I used to own I never encountered this issue.Took the car to the dealership and they can’t find any issue they claim.
Then 2 days after I took the car to the dealership from SFO airport to Fremont at midnight the eye sight keeps turning on and off, clear sky, no fog or rain low 50’s on the temperature that really bothers me.
Anyone has the same issue as mine?
Second - I attended a midnight mass last Christmas it was raining made a left turn signal and I’m by myself on the road suddenly on the dash board showed red sign to force you to stop, like you’re about to hit in front of you, which it doesn’t make sense, the rain was pouring steady not a strong down pour, no fog, no one was in fromt or around me.
My 2019 Crosstrek that I have had for a year will have issues with eyesight turning off anytime the lane marker stripes are too badly faded or in construction areas. Other than that I've had it shut off maybe three or four times in the midst of really heavy downpours. The manual warns of all those things so I kind of expect it.

·
Prefers black cats
14,661 Posts
My 2019 Crosstrek that I have had for a year will have issues with eyesight turning off anytime the lane marker stripes are too badly faded or in construction areas. Other than that I've had it shut off maybe three or four times in the midst of really heavy downpours. The manual warns of all those things so I kind of expect it.
Same here. It gets confused when a lane goes away but that's understandable...

·
Registered
3 Posts
I don't go to a full-service wash but when I clean the windshield I spray the cleaner on the towel outside of the car so there's no overspray inside that might hit the lens.
The easiest way to protect eyesight lenses when you clean the inside of the windshield is to put wide, blue, masking tape over the lens'. Then press and seal the tape on all 4 sides of the lens. Easy to remove the tape and you'll be completely safe.
Bill Sloss

·
Registered
2 Posts
My wife drives a '19 Crosstrek. She loves it. I seldom drive it. I'm a manual control guy. We headed off on a cross-country vacation last month. On a clean, normal, winding road I'm driving the Crosstrek, and I'm fighting random wind gusts. Except I finally realized by watching the grass that the air was dead calm. Software update just before we left had re-enabled "lane keeping assist". OMG it is (mis)interpreting marks in the road as "lanes". The motor on the steering column is bump-steering me, and I'm fighting it! Can a feature this dysfunctional really save anyone from destruction? Do people like it? Subaru fanboys? Mercifully there is a dedicated button to turn it off. I hope my experience is an anomaly. I can't believe the feature is this bad. It doesn't even achieve novelty status in my mind. Thoughts?

·
Prefers black cats
14,661 Posts
You seem to hate it so just turn it off when you're driving...

·
Registered
2 Posts
You seem to hate it so just turn it off when you're driving...
Um, yeah I have no use for a dysfunctional feature that pushes me off-course when I'm centered in my lane, due to vision processing mis-recognition of something. I don't "hate it". Yes, of course I turned it off. I am curious if my experience is anomalous. Is it everybody's Subaru that works this way? Or is our Crosstrek special?

I have massive respect for Subaru AWD. Purpose-build, best in the business. I'm not a Subaru fanboy or a Subaru hater. I'm an engineer, call them like I see them.

·
Registered
Crosstrek Outdoor, JDM Legacy 2.0 GT spec.B
409 Posts
In our car you have to turn it lane centering on... It takes a little while to get used to but I like it very much now. It warns you that it has turned off when the lane markings are indistinct - or too wide apart - or the road bend is to sharp etc.
As for eyesight 'Turning Off' - it makes that abundantly clear and 'bongs' as well 🤣 - unfortunately when you can't see so well and could do with the assistance... it can't 'see' either - DOH - as Homer would say :p But it is only there for assistance - so if you can't see... you shouldn't be driving that fast - or you shouldn't be driving at that time at all!

I'm an engineer too 😁

·
Prefers black cats
14,661 Posts
Another engineer here...

Ours has lane keep and the later models have lane centering. All of the driver assist features can be turned off if you don't like them.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts