Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Subaru's are one of the most dependable vehicles made. An extended warranty makes less sense because of that fact. If you want the "insurance" then go for it. Different than property or life insurance where the cost/benefit ratio makes it a necessity.

·
Registered
2020 Premium 6MT
1,348 Posts
Subaru's are one of the most dependable vehicles made. An extended warranty makes less sense because of that fact. If you want the "insurance" then go for it. Different than property or life insurance where the cost/benefit ratio makes it a necessity.
Actually, according to Consumer Reports, Subaru reliability rates in the average to above average category.

I crunched the numbers on my 2009 Subaru Outback and found that I spent around $4,000 on items that would have been covered by a 10/100 extended warranty. In light of that, buying an extended warranty for my Crosstrek made sense. YMMV.

·
Registered
2021 Sport
75 Posts
Actually, according to Consumer Reports, Subaru reliability rates in the average to above average category.

I crunched the numbers on my 2009 Subaru Outback and found that I spent around $4,000 on items that would have been covered by a 10/100 extended warranty. In light of that, buying an extended warranty for my Crosstrek made sense. YMMV.
Which items would have been replaced under warranty?

·
Registered
2020 Premium 6MT
1,348 Posts
Which items would have been replaced under warranty?
Without going into my files and giving you a list, these are the big ones that come to mind:

Rear hubs needed to be replaced because the magnetic pickups for the ABS rusted.

Rack and pinion needed replacing because it was leaking.

Front struts needed replacing.

Just to name a few. There were others.

·
Registered
21 Sport
1,959 Posts

while i've kept my tundra for 18 years (135k miles). i sold my last crosstrek after 110k miles (5 years). in that time i spent about $1500 out of pocket for repairs (AC) but that was after 100k miles. so if i had purchased an extended warranty on my 2016 crosstrek it would have also been a waste of money

however, i can understand buying an extended warranty if it gives you peace of mind -- similar to that first, unnecessary oil change at 1,000 miles that some guys do

·
Registered
2020 Premium 6MT
1,348 Posts
while i've kept my tundra for 18 years (135k miles). i sold my last crosstrek after 110k miles (5 years). in that time i spent about $1500 out of pocket for repairs (AC) but that was after 100k miles. so if i had purchased an extended warranty on my 2016 crosstrek it would have also been a waste of money

however, i can understand buying an extended warranty if it gives you peace of mind -- similar to that first, unnecessary oil change at 1,000 miles that some guys do
Just like an insurance policy, you hope you never have to use it.

To be clear, I have owned 7 cars including 3 new cars. This is the first time I ever bought an extended warranty. The price was right, so I bit.

Reactions: erader

·
Registered
21 Sport
1,959 Posts
Just like an insurance policy, you hope you never have to use it.

To be clear, I have owned 7 cars including 3 new cars. This is the first time I ever bought an extended warranty. The price was right, so I bit.
i bought an extended warranty only once and that was for a 1998 tacoma prerunner, my first new vehicle purchase -- i believe it was $18k OTD. it was my work truck back in the days when i worked alot. the salesman was very high pressure and he worked me over good. i bought the warranty so he would shut the hell up. i paid cash for that truck and the warranty paid for itself and by a good margin

i have since bought five new vehicles and no extended warranties on any of them. the four new vehicles previous to my 21 sport would not have benefitted from extended warranties. if i were offered an extended warranty for 1000 bucks right now i'd strongly consider it

·
Administrator
2021 Crosstrek Limited, Pure Red
5,336 Posts
Struggling through this thread today reminded me of two things that I already knew:

1. There are a few specific conversations that you guys apparently love to regurgitate over and over and over.
2. A couple of you guys are really into false equivalencies.

·
Registered
2020 Premium 6MT
1,348 Posts
Do you mean by comparing an extended warranty to an insurance policy?
Not a false equivalency. Buying an extended warranty IS the same as buying an insurance policy.

Someone please tell me what the difference is.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Catching up on this thread, I don't see the extended warranty quite the same way as my other insurance plans. The latter are designed as catastrophic coverage (e.g. I die and life policy allows the Admiral to enjoy the lifestyle she wishes despite loss of my income).

With Subie Gold, I have had a number of covered repairs that I might have forgone if I had to pay out of my own pocket. Example: tail gate hydraulic posts have lost their oomph and I have to assist opening. Plan to fix under warranty, likely would not do so otherwise.

·
Registered
36 Posts

There is a lot of misinformation reported about what Consumer Reports finds on reliability and frequency of repair and even on the conditions for which it recommends extended warranties.

Actually, Consumer Reports has clearly evolved in its thinking and now recommends extended warranties as qualified in its recent Road Report entitled: PROTECT YOURSELF FROM PRICEY REPAIRS published in its Road Report, June 2021 (p. 58). It states: " Although it usually isn't worth buying an extended warranty to cover a reliable car, a warranty plan for an unreliable vehicle may save you money if it costs less than a few fixes. Remember that you can negotiate for price for an extended warranty just like you can a car's price and, be sure you understand what the warranty covers and where the work can be performed."

Also, they list the cars that are the least expensive to repair and the most expensive (p. 56). The least expensive list includes: Toyotas, Hondas, Hundais and Kias. The most expensive list includes: Subaru Legacy, Subaru Forester, Subaru Outback. No Subaru made the least expensive list and no Toyota, Kia or Hundai made the most expensive list. Further, the overall reliability of the three Subarus was in the middle or worse (see left column). This was based on 2011 model year data.

If you look at more data, based on 5 and 10 year old models, by brand, Subaru does relatively poorly, coming in 17th out of 27 brands. This is based on a snapshot of one-year repair costs for 5 and 10 year old models by brand, according the Annual Survey of CR members (June 2021, p. 57). Based on Consumer Reports data of June 2011, Subarus are clearly not the cheapest nor most reliable vehicles out there and it appears a far stronger case can be made for an extended warranty for a Subaru than the other more reliable and thrifty to repair brands if you consider Consumer Reports credible and accept the validity of Consumer Reports data (p. 52-58).

Subaru makes great cars which is why I have purchased three of them and two in the past year-- but I think they have to be carefully maintained sticking closely to the Subaru Manual if you expect to get great service out of them. I'd say they are great cars-- but if you do not do the preventive maintenance and take reasonably good care of them you may well get bit in the *** with a pricey repair, which I think a lot of Consumer Reports subscribers have found.

·
Resident topic drifter
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
16,180 Posts
Also, they list the cars that are the least expensive to repair and the most expensive (p. 56). The least expensive list includes: Toyotas, Hondas, Hundais and Kias. The most expensive list includes: Subaru Legacy, Subaru Forester, Subaru Outback. No Subaru made the least expensive list and no Toyota, Kia or Hundai made the most expensive list. Further, the overall reliability of the three Subarus was in the middle or worse (see left column). This was based on 2011 model year data.
We have a CR subscription and I didn't see this article so maybe it's old. If it's recent, basing the data on cars that are now twelve years old is silly. Since the move to their global platform (MY18 for the Crosstrek) they have consistently had CR's highest rating for reliability.

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Premium
10 Posts
I’m currently at work and wife calls me, the local dealer just got in a blue crosstrek. It’s a limited and decked out, more than what she wants but they are hard to come by in blue. She’s getting all the numbers now and the warranty they are quoting her is $2400. Seems a lil steep. Wonder how negotiable they are.
That’s about how much I paid for mine. It was through Subaru for 8 years, 80k miles. It’s the Gold Plus.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just picked up my Sport a few days ago, everything out the door was just under 33k, he laid out 3 different warranty packages, covering about anything/everything even covering service work. If I had taken all 3 my price would of been 39k out the door. The one package for actual coverage was $1800. I declined everything and he went from nice and friendly to ok then just write me the check and your done and ready to go. No offering a less of a price or anything.

I know with no trade in, no extended warranty and no financing that I’m sure I was his least favorite customer of the month.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
2020 Crosstrek Limited
1,179 Posts
Just picked up my Sport a few days ago, everything out the door was just under 33k, he laid out 3 different warranty packages, covering about anything/everything even covering service work. If I had taken all 3 my price would of been 39k out the door. The one package for actual coverage was $1800. I declined everything and he went from nice and friendly to ok then just write me the check and your done and ready to go. No offering a less of a price or anything.

I know with no trade in, no extended warranty and no financing that I’m sure I was his least favorite customer of the month.
You do have up until your 36month/36,000mile original factory ends to shop around (locally) for the Subaru extended warranty. Subaru 'Gold' is the preferred.

·
Resident topic drifter
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
16,180 Posts
$1,800 isn't bad, if it's the genuine Subaru Gold. $1,600 is the best I've seen here and that was a while ago. Prices went up when Subaru restricted dealers from selling them outside of their local area.

·
Registered
11 Posts
We picked my wife's new '22 sport up the weekend before last, and I ended up buying her the gold plus SOA branded warranty with 10 year/100k miles/0 deductible for $1,850. I'm not big into doing car repairs outside of oil changes, and this avoids potential unexpected expenses for a long time.

Posted earlier, I got the same SOA gold plus for 1700 in 2020 for a 2019 forester.

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Sport Cool Gray Khaki
191 Posts
That is a great price.

·
Registered
2020 Premium 6MT
1,348 Posts
We picked my wife's new '22 sport up the weekend before last, and I ended up buying her the 10/100k/0 deductible for 1,850. I'm not big into doing car repairs outside of oil changes, and this avoids potential unexpected expenses for a long time.
That is a great price.
That's an excellent price for a 10/100k/0 extended warranty. Was it a Subaru warranty or an aftermarket?

Reactions: Hankhill11
21 - 40 of 48 Posts