Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who have bought a 2022 I’m sure you were quoted a price for an extended warranty. Just wondering what the price was AND how long is that extended warranty for, miles/years?

·
Resident topic drifter
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
16,159 Posts
For those of you who have bought a 2022 I’m sure you were quoted a price for an extended warranty. Just wondering what the price was AND how long is that extended warranty for, miles/years?
Try the search. There are quite a few threads here about this already. It's not specific to the 2022. It used to be that you could buy it from any dealer anywhere but Subaru clamped down on that, probably from pressure from the dealers who make more on upsells like that than on the cars themselves.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’m currently at work and wife calls me, the local dealer just got in a blue crosstrek. It’s a limited and decked out, more than what she wants but they are hard to come by in blue. She’s getting all the numbers now and the warranty they are quoting her is $2400. Seems a lil steep. Wonder how negotiable they are.

·
Registered
2016 Crosstrek
1,655 Posts
On the whole, warranties average out in the dealer's favor. Of course, if something breaks and it works out in your favor, that's 100%. It's always a gamble.

·
Resident topic drifter
16,159 Posts
Way steep! They used to go for $1,600...

This is one of the more scammy dealer upsells. Tell them you've found other offers for around $1,600 (and decline to say where) and that you know that it doesn't have to be purchased at the time the car is purchased and can be purchased at any time until the factory warranty expires...

·
Registered
698 Posts
Remember Subaru (or whoever is writing the warranty) is making money. That means the majority of people who buy the warranty lose money. The car comes with 3yr/36kmiles basic warranty and drive train 5yr/60kmiles. The extended warranty "extends" from those miles/times.

Reactions: JoeKerr

·
Resident topic drifter
16,159 Posts
Remember Subaru (or whoever is writing the warranty) is making money. That means the majority of people who buy the warranty lose money. The car comes with 3yr/36kmiles basic warranty and drive train 5yr/60kmiles. The extended warranty "extends" from those miles/times.
Also remember that that applies to ALL insurance! Your home insurance company is not in the business of losing money!

Not sure why this is such a contentious issue here?

·
Resident topic drifter
16,159 Posts
I’m currently at work and wife calls me, the local dealer just got in a blue crosstrek. It’s a limited and decked out, more than what she wants but they are hard to come by in blue. She’s getting all the numbers now and the warranty they are quoting her is $2400. Seems a lil steep. Wonder how negotiable they are.
What was the outcome?

·
Registered
698 Posts
Also remember that that applies to ALL insurance! Your home insurance company is not in the business of losing money!

Not sure why this is such a contentious issue here?
Yes they all make money. Total loss of a house or a car or a liability suite is potentially much higher than a repair on a car.

Reactions: JoeKerr

·
Resident topic drifter
16,159 Posts
Yes they all make money. Total loss of a house or a car or a liability suite is potentially much higher than a repair on a car.
Yep, and for every incident you have a choice. Claim and deal with the hassle and increased premiums, or just suck it up...

·
Registered
2020 Premium 6MT
1,330 Posts
Way steep! They used to go for $1,600...
Really? What were the details of the warranty? If it's the Subaru Gold Plus or comparable, that's a steal!

An extended warranty is nothing more than an insurance policy. You pay now for the peace of mind in case you have some big ticket repairs down the road.

·
Resident topic drifter
16,159 Posts
I don't think the details of the Gold Plus warranty have changed. What has changed is how Subaru allows it to be sold. I think it's protectionist and should be investigated...

·
Registered
9 Posts
one good points to call out - dealers can sell third party warranties and/or subaru branded warranties, so it helps to know what you're looking at. My wife and i put an order in for a crosstrek a few weeks ago and while they didn't push (yet) the warranty, what they shows was a third party one so far. I'm sure well get more propaganda when the car comes in and we're in the finance office again.

2nd - does anyone know if the price of the subary of america gold plus warranty for a crosstrek is the same as a forester? I happened to get my 10/100/0 gold plus for 1700 on my forester, but I know they always start out higher in price. Is it the same warranty for the same price(whatever that is in the end) between these car models?

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2019 Crosstrek Limited
1,662 Posts
Price is what the market will bear, regardless of model. You could pay more or less for the same plan on your Crosstrek. BTW, $1700 is a very good deal for the 10/100/0 Gold+.

·
Registered
2017 Crosstrek Limited
1,733 Posts
That's why I grabbed mine at $1599, despite those who scoff....

·
Resident topic drifter
16,159 Posts
Price is what the market will bear, regardless of model. You could pay more or less for the same plan on your Crosstrek. BTW, $1700 is a very good deal for the 10/100/0 Gold+.
The Gold Plus used to go for $1,600 online before Subaru shut that down, so $1,700 isn't bad.

·
Registered
2021 Sport
74 Posts
Also ask, believe it or not, if its a subaru warranty. My guy was good, let him do the whole spiel, and i was like wait who is this from? It was a third party company but i couldnt really tell the way he was discussing it.

yes, my subaru dealer quotes third party warranties as a first option.

·
Registered
2020 Premium 6MT
1,330 Posts
some insurance you are required to have. others, like extended car warranties, are elective
There are other types of insurance that you don't have to have, but are wise to do so like:

Homeowners - if you don't have a mortgage
Collision and comprehensive car insurance - if you don't have a car loan.

Not having homeowners insurance is cray-cray. And it's probably wise to keep your collision and comprehensive car insurance for a few years after your loan is paid off.

·
Registered
21 Sport
1,934 Posts
There are other types of insurance that you don't have to have, but are wise to do so like:

Homeowners - if you don't have a mortgage
Collision and comprehensive car insurance - if you don't have a car loan.

Not having homeowners insurance is cray-cray. And it's probably wise to keep your collision and comprehensive car insurance for a few years after your loan is paid off.
my home and my vehicles are paid off, and fully insured. i don't buy extended warranties on cars. my tundra is a 2004 and is fully insured. i bought it new. i earn money with it. if i had bought an extended warranty on my tundra i would have wasted my money

1 - 20 of 45 Posts