Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

Extended warranty

Model Years 2018 to 2023 
13K views 67 replies 30 participants last post by  CarynXtrek 
#1 ·
For those of you who have bought a 2022 I’m sure you were quoted a price for an extended warranty. Just wondering what the price was AND how long is that extended warranty for, miles/years?

#2 ·
Try the search. There are quite a few threads here about this already. It's not specific to the 2022. It used to be that you could buy it from any dealer anywhere but Subaru clamped down on that, probably from pressure from the dealers who make more on upsells like that than on the cars themselves.

#3 ·
I’m currently at work and wife calls me, the local dealer just got in a blue crosstrek. It’s a limited and decked out, more than what she wants but they are hard to come by in blue. She’s getting all the numbers now and the warranty they are quoting her is $2400. Seems a lil steep. Wonder how negotiable they are.

#5 ·
Way steep! They used to go for $1,600...

This is one of the more scammy dealer upsells. Tell them you've found other offers for around $1,600 (and decline to say where) and that you know that it doesn't have to be purchased at the time the car is purchased and can be purchased at any time until the factory warranty expires...

#11 ·
Way steep! They used to go for $1,600...
Really? What were the details of the warranty? If it's the Subaru Gold Plus or comparable, that's a steal!

An extended warranty is nothing more than an insurance policy. You pay now for the peace of mind in case you have some big ticket repairs down the road.

#6 ·
Remember Subaru (or whoever is writing the warranty) is making money. That means the majority of people who buy the warranty lose money. The car comes with 3yr/36kmiles basic warranty and drive train 5yr/60kmiles. The extended warranty "extends" from those miles/times.

#13 ·
one good points to call out - dealers can sell third party warranties and/or subaru branded warranties, so it helps to know what you're looking at. My wife and i put an order in for a crosstrek a few weeks ago and while they didn't push (yet) the warranty, what they shows was a third party one so far. I'm sure well get more propaganda when the car comes in and we're in the finance office again.

2nd - does anyone know if the price of the subary of america gold plus warranty for a crosstrek is the same as a forester? I happened to get my 10/100/0 gold plus for 1700 on my forester, but I know they always start out higher in price. Is it the same warranty for the same price(whatever that is in the end) between these car models?

#15 · (Edited)
That's why I grabbed mine at $1599, despite those who scoff....

#22 ·
Actually, according to Consumer Reports, Subaru reliability rates in the average to above average category.

I crunched the numbers on my 2009 Subaru Outback and found that I spent around $4,000 on items that would have been covered by a 10/100 extended warranty. In light of that, buying an extended warranty for my Crosstrek made sense. YMMV.

#30 ·
Not a false equivalency. Buying an extended warranty IS the same as buying an insurance policy.

Someone please tell me what the difference is.

#31 ·
Catching up on this thread, I don't see the extended warranty quite the same way as my other insurance plans. The latter are designed as catastrophic coverage (e.g. I die and life policy allows the Admiral to enjoy the lifestyle she wishes despite loss of my income).

With Subie Gold, I have had a number of covered repairs that I might have forgone if I had to pay out of my own pocket. Example: tail gate hydraulic posts have lost their oomph and I have to assist opening. Plan to fix under warranty, likely would not do so otherwise.

#35 ·
Just picked up my Sport a few days ago, everything out the door was just under 33k, he laid out 3 different warranty packages, covering about anything/everything even covering service work. If I had taken all 3 my price would of been 39k out the door. The one package for actual coverage was $1800. I declined everything and he went from nice and friendly to ok then just write me the check and your done and ready to go. No offering a less of a price or anything.

I know with no trade in, no extended warranty and no financing that I’m sure I was his least favorite customer of the month.

#38 · (Edited)
We picked my wife's new '22 sport up the weekend before last, and I ended up buying her the gold plus SOA branded warranty with 10 year/100k miles/0 deductible for $1,850. I'm not big into doing car repairs outside of oil changes, and this avoids potential unexpected expenses for a long time.

Posted earlier, I got the same SOA gold plus for 1700 in 2020 for a 2019 forester.

#40 ·
We picked my wife's new '22 sport up the weekend before last, and I ended up buying her the 10/100k/0 deductible for 1,850. I'm not big into doing car repairs outside of oil changes, and this avoids potential unexpected expenses for a long time.
That is a great price.
That's an excellent price for a 10/100k/0 extended warranty. Was it a Subaru warranty or an aftermarket?

Reactions: Hankhill11
#42 ·
Wow. In that case, an outstanding price! The dealer sold me a Zurich 10/100K/0 extended warranty for $1,750 when I bought the car in March 2020. The price sounded quite good, so I bit. Knowing what I know now, I have some regrets about not holding out for a Subaru Gold Plus. Although reading around, it seems Zurich is fairly reputable. My only fear is if they try to weasel out of any coverage down the road. Only time will tell.

#46 ·
I bought the SOA warranty in the finance office at the local subaru dealership in waukesha wi - for the crosstrek. On a side note, if you're in the finance office, just simply ask for the price you want. The finance rep didn't' even bat an eye when i told him what we would take the warranty for, after explaining the full price. no hesitation, he just accepted. And for their part, the dealership was pretty good to work with over all once we got their attention. They looked 100% busy every time we were in, so some slow response was expected, but we felt good working with them.

Back in 2020 I read that dealerships were no longer allowed to sell outside their area (range unknown) but there was a thread on the forester forum talking about it. Since I got my forester used, from a jaguar dealership, they obviously didn't have SOA warranties. I got lucky and was able to make a deal with a dealership about 80 miles away for that one, but the dealer specifically asked me not to pass it along because they weren't going to keep selling warranties to remote customers.

#48 · (Edited)
Here's my recent experience in purchasing a SOA 10year/100k mile/0 deductible Gold Plus Added Security plan for our 2019 Crosstrek. I contacted about a dozen dealers for a quote, five of which were well beyond the 200 mile range cited above. The only dealer that refused to give me a quote for being out of market was Planet Subaru. The best quote I got in state was from a Phoenix dealer 125 miles away - $1750. When I contacted a Missouri dealer the finance person sensed I was "shopping" and asked me for the best price quote I had received thus far. When I told her $1750 she offered $1695 if I would do the deal now. I went ahead and gave her all the particulars including VIN, AZ address and credit card payment. I followed up with a phone call several days later because I never received a promised confirmation email. Finance person I had been dealing with said she had been out sick but would process the transaction within two days. Several more days went by and I called again, this time to cancel the transaction as I was getting close to the 36 month cutoff. She apologized and said they were really short handed in finance and had a backlog of paperwork. The point I am trying to make is that this dealership 1000+ miles away was willing to sell me the SOA extended warranty. Unfortunately I just couldn't wait any longer for fear of breaching the 36 month cutoff while the Missouri dealer caught up on paperwork. As a result I ended up purchasing the $1750 deal from the Phoenix area dealer and had a confirmation email within an hour.

It pays to shop around. Here are the quotes I received for the exact same Gold Plus 10/100/0 plan: $3095*, 3000, 2950*, 2770, 2570, 2550, 2250, 2175*, 1750 and 1695*. Those prices with an * were out of market/state dealers.
[edit] I just received a late quote from another AZ dealer - $1850.

#49 ·
Here's my recent experience in purchasing a SOA 10year/100k mile/0 deductible Gold Plus Added Security plan for our 2019 Crosstrek. I contacted about a dozen dealers for a quote, five of which were well beyond the 200 mile range cited above. The only dealer that refused to give me a quote for being out of market was Planet Subaru. The best quote I got in state was from a Phoenix dealer 125 miles away - $1750. When I contacted a Missouri dealer the finance person knew I was "shopping" and asked me for the best price quote I had received thus far. When I told her $1750 she offered $1695 if I would do the deal now. I went ahead and gave her all the particulars including VIN, AZ address and credit card payment. I followed up with a phone call several days later because I never received a promised confirmation email. Finance person I had been dealing with said she had been out sick but would process the transaction within two days. Several more days went by and I called again, this time to cancel the transaction as I was getting close to the 36 month cutoff. She apologized and said they were really short handed in finance and had a backlog of paperwork. The point I am trying to make is that this dealership 1000+ miles away was willing to sell me the SOA extended warranty. Unfortunately I just couldn't wait any longer for fear of breaching the 36 month cutoff while the Missouri dealer caught up on paperwork. As a result I ended up purchasing the $1750 deal from the Phoenix area dealer and had a confirmation email within an hour.

It pays to shop around. Here are the quotes I received for the exact same Gold Plus 10/100/0 plan: $3095*, 3000, 2950*, 2770, 2570, 2550, 2250, 2175*, 1750 and 1695*. Those prices with an * were out of market/state dealers.
[edit] I just received a late quote from another AZ dealer - $1850.
Very helpful post, thank you very much.

As of right now the Gold plan is available all the way up to 3 yr /36k correct?

Are there deductibles other than $0 available?

#51 ·
They have two plans, both with options. The "Gold Plus" isn't that much more and covers more components and electronics, like the HU. Which is a good idea if you plan to keep the car for a long time.

"Many plan options up to 8 years, 120,000 miles and 10 years, 100,000 miles."

#53 ·
About 1400 for 100k/5 year
Would say 698 but the rest of that is 5year/100k 2 oil changes and rotation a year ... didn't think to ask if that was all subaru or just that dealers service(that dealer) checked to see if they minded changing it to a single service for changing the cvt fluid anything s bit pricer...nope oh well still got an ok deal on the gold plus I suppose. And if I'm ever planning to be an hour south I'll schedule the service.
I don't mind I changing my oil anyway. I already did a dump and fill at 1200 will do a full change here around 2500k-3000k depending if I want to do it before a 1400 mile one way trip or after. Probably before as I wouldn't mind some fresh lube in there after rolling through the Appalachians

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.