Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! Just purchased a CPO 2017 crosstrek with 22k miles. The dealer talked me into the gold plus extended warranty but I’m wondering if you guys feel it’s really necessary as it does raise the payment quite a bit. Appreciate any and all advice y’all might have!

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
8,501 Posts
Lots of posts here about that. Try the search feature. It depends if it's a Subaru warranty or a dealer's third party one, etc.

Edit: I missed that it was the Gold Plus. So many new posts get started about warranties. With a new car you can buy any time from any dealer. For a used car, that may be the only option.

·
Registered
41 Posts
You say its the gold plus which implies its the plan backed by Subaru. What is the duration/mileage and does it have a deductible? How much did you pay?

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2019 Crosstrek Limited
965 Posts
Two things to keep in mind:
1. CPO Subarus already include a 7 year/100k mile powertrain warranty at no additional cost.
2. Subaru has extended the factory warranty on the 2017 CVT to 10 years/100k miles.

So with the Gold Plus plan you are essentially insuring only non-powertrain items. And do you really want to pay for extras like this:
"The Gold Plus plan also reimburses for lodging and meals when a breakdown interrupts your out-of-town travel, and includes computerized trip routing, retailer locator service and travel assistance."

Personally, I would only consider the Gold Plus plan if your 2017 has EyeSight.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah those were kind of my feelings I just wasn’t sure how costly the repairs might be if something happened electronically within the car. Where did you see that subaru added extended factory warranty for the 2017 crosstrek. I could only find that they did that up to 2015

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You say its the gold plus which implies its the plan backed by Subaru. What is the duration/mileage and does it have a deductible? How much did you pay?
They financed it in but it came out to almost 3,000 at an extra 50 dollars on each monthly payment. From what I read on here that’s a bit steep and he also didn’t offer me any information on deductible and length of the warranty. I should have asked but after already being there for almost 5 hours once he said I could cancel at any time I just got decision fatigue. With the 7/100k power train and 10/100k factory warranty on top of it, unless they offer me a better price I don’t feel it’s worth the money

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
Shop around. You should be able to get it for around 1500 ish. I got it for my '18 Forester and '19 Crosstrek. On one I got either a $50 or $100 deductable.
Worth the peace of mind to me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea I totally agree. If I can find it where it maybe bumps my monthly up 20 dollars than I’d totally grab it for peace of mind. You can call any dealership to purchase the warranty and see what they’re offering? I’ve read that third party warranties aren’t the way to go

·
Registered
5 Posts
imo, that has been a negotiable item. During each offering of this warranty I've had, the price adjusted DOWN hundreds$$ of dollars by asking for a better price. Each time I've settled for about half price from where it started. ((fwiw))

·
Registered
2020 Premium 6MT
384 Posts
Here's my take. My last car was a 2009 Outback. I calculated all my out of pocket non-maintenance, non-wear and tear item repairs done between the 3-year mark of when the factory warranty expired and at the 10-year mark when the best extended warranty would expire. I spend a bit over $4,000 for those repairs, most of which was spent between the 8 and 10 year mark.

$3,000 does seem steep, but it's less than $4,000. When I bought my 2020 Crosstrek, I bought the best Zurich 10/100 warranty the dealer offered for $1,740. I realized afterwards that the Subaru Gold is probably a better overall warranty, but what's done is done. It's like any insurance policy - peace of mind in case you get really socked with an uber expensive repair.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I’ll also probably drive about 15-20k miles a year as I’ll do about 11k just for work leaving me with only about 4 years till I hit 100k mark since I bought it with almost 23k. If I can’t get the warranty for cheaper it doesn’t seem worth it in my eyes and I would just pay as things needed to be fixed.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I’ll also probably drive about 15-20k miles a year as I’ll do about 11k just for work leaving me with only about 4 years till I hit 100k mark since I bought it with almost 23k. If I can’t get the warranty for cheaper it doesn’t seem worth it in my eyes and I would just pay as things needed to be fixed.
I have 95k miles on my 2016 crosstrek. the only thing I've had to replace that warranty would have probably covered was a front axle with a torn boot. I paid my mechanic around $250 to replace it.

·
Registered
2020 Premium 6MT
384 Posts
warranties are like gambling at Vegas. some will win but most will lose.
That is the premise of insurance - the many pay for the few. It's paying a little for not having to potentially pay big.

You don't buy insurance in order to come out ahead, you buy it in order to not potentially lose your shirt. You wouldn't not have homeowner's insurance, would you?

·
Registered
2020 Premium 6MT
384 Posts
Is there such a thing as a 10/200 warranty? ;)

·
Registered
656 Posts
That is the premise of insurance - the many pay for the few. It's paying a little for not having to potentially pay big.

You don't buy insurance in order to come out ahead, you buy it in order to not potentially lose your shirt. You wouldn't not have homeowner's insurance, would you?
homeowner's insurance and extended warranties are two different things entirely. one is required and the other isn't. like I said I don't buy extended warranties but I can see doing it if it makes you feel better. most likely it will not pay off, obviously. but if it helps you sleep better at night more power by all means do it.

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
8,501 Posts
homeowner's insurance and extended warranties are two different things entirely. one is required and the other isn't. like I said I don't buy extended warranties but I can see doing it if it makes you feel better. most likely it will not pay off, obviously. but if it helps you sleep better at night more power by all means do it.
LIfe insurance isn't mandated but it's a good idea if you have a family...

·
Registered
2017 Crosstrek Limited
1,246 Posts
Homeowner's insurance is only required if you have a mortgage and your lender requires it.
I paid $1599 for Subaru Gold Plus 10/100,000. Nowhere near $3000.

Reactions: AstroKats
1 - 20 of 38 Posts