Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited
718 Posts
What was the model number? I know that there have been some issues with the ones for the hybrid.
35-PC1400

They don't make that model anymore. In fact, I'm having a hard time finding ANY battery for the '21's. Probably will take a couple years before they update their charts. Guessing not too many people are looking to replace batteries on brand new vehicles. :)

Automotive lighting Bumper Gas Cable Motor vehicle

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks to everyone who posted on this thread, I have found this very helpful. My daughters 2014 Crosstrek Hybrid did not present any errors but the car hadn't been entering EV mode for the last few months. I checked the start/stop battery voltage and it was only producing 8.7v, I attempted to charge it but it wouldn't charge up to normal voltage. I'm located in Canada and I was able to locate a compatible battery at Canadian Tire : https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/...s46b24r-battery-325-cca-0105122p.0105122.html I replaced the battery and EV still wasn't working immediately, I suspect the battery wasn't fully charged from the store, the following day the charge level was high enough I believe and EV mode finally started working normally again. Very happy I was able to get this fixed with the help of everyone here! Note that the Eliminator battery from Canadian Tire was the best value I could find locally at $249 and it has a 5 year warranty. One point however, if you go in and tell them you need a 2014 Crosstrek Hybrid "start stop" battery they will migrate to the Auxillary battery by default, I don't believe their database has the start stop battery listed for Subaru but is identified as the Prius battery.

One other tech reference I came across which I found useful was: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2013/MC-10067055-3639.pdf
Hello Sir,
i know this reply is a couple year old but i was wondering if you had an update on your daughters car?
I am also from Canada, in Montreal and finding a replacement for this battery has been really hard. i just recently changed the driver side batterie but the i suspect it might get drained by the passenger side battery since its dead and the warning to check hybrid system keeps popping up.
i just want to make sure that this battery from Canadian tire will work correctly and continue working for a long time

·
Resident topic drifter
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
16,210 Posts
There are quite a few active battery threads here at the moment. I guess it's that time of year in the northern hemisphere...

I'm a fan of Odyssey batteries and AGM in general. Try checking the dimensions and specs of your current battery and compare it to their charts. Car batteries are all 12V approx so if it fits in the space it will be fine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Responding to similar issue - 2015 Cross-trek - hybrid - AAA replaced driver side battery when car would not start (starter battery despite what documentation says) - worked fine. Knew I should replace auxiliary battery (passenger side) but alas - $700-$900 dealer estimates seemed crazy. Month later got same warning about EV system seen on this board - check waters levels in aux batter, they seemed ok, problem is intermittent.

Did research and found Optima replacements were about $270 and generic S46B24R series was about $209 - my local O'Reilly Auto Parts did not carry Duracell but had a Super Start Platinum AGM 246B24R for Prius - said was same as Duracell and same price $210 range. Like others in California, don't have problems with extreme heat or cold so I am rolling dice and not special ordering the Optima YEL-PRIUS - which appears to be replacement for auxiliary battery (not yellow top D35) - installing tomorrow - will let you know

·
Resident topic drifter
16,210 Posts
Responding to similar issue - 2015 Cross-trek - hybrid - AAA replaced driver side battery when car would not start (starter battery despite what documentation says) - worked fine. Knew I should replace auxiliary battery (passenger side) but alas - $700-$900 dealer estimates seemed crazy. Month later got same warning about EV system seen on this board - check waters levels in aux batter, they seemed ok, problem is intermittent.

Did research and found Optima replacements were about $270 and generic S46B24R series was about $209 - my local O'Reilly Auto Parts did not carry Duracell but had a Super Start Platinum AGM 246B24R for Prius - said was same as Duracell and same price $210 range. Like others in California, don't have problems with extreme heat or cold so I am rolling dice and not special ordering the Optima YEL-PRIUS - which appears to be replacement for auxiliary battery (not yellow top D35) - installing tomorrow - will let you know
CR rates the Optima Yellow very highly. Not quite as high as the Odyssey but almost.

·
Registered
5 Posts
CR rates the Optima Yellow very highly. Not quite as high as the Odyssey but almost.
Normally I prescribe to school of thought "The Cheap comes out expensive" so if the Yellow-Top was in stock today, I would have spent the extra 60 dollars rather than buying the Prius S46B24R version from another MFGR (generic).

On the other hand, all after market batteries are designed to fail between 4-5 years (both only have warranty for 3 years).

Lets say the Generic battery - $200 / lasts 4 years = $50 per year and Optima Yellowtop - $270 / last longer like 6 years = $45 per year. But I don't have to special order or drive an hour round trip to get yellow top. Then the S46B24R wins. Hope it works :) I will know tomorrow I guess.

·
Registered
5 Posts
There's a lot more hassle involved with changing a battery...
Read over the manual, watched you tube videos and seems pretty straight forward - no special instructions for 2015 model or warnings. Get a 10 MM wrench, disconnect grounding wire clip, disconnect ground terminal, disconnect positive terminal, remove brackets, remove heat shield and then reserve steps to install. Is there something else to be wary of?

Should note there is risk passenger side battery is one that manages all the auxiliary things like clocks so they might have to be reset. But have not discovered any posts disconnecting it causes a problem. Don't have the tool to plug in to ensure power while battery disconnected. Did see something that new models of subaru's require a code to be entered from battery. Hope my year is not like this - did not really understand what that was about.

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited
718 Posts
Read over the manual, watched you tube videos and seems pretty straight forward - no special instructions for 2015 model or warnings. Get a 10 MM wrench, disconnect grounding wire clip, disconnect ground terminal, disconnect positive terminal, remove brackets, remove heat shield and then reserve steps to install. Is there something else to be wary of?
Ditto.....seems like a typical battery replacement to me. Unless I am missing something?

Did see something that new models of subaru's require a code to be entered from battery. Hope my year is not like this - did not really understand what that was about.
Never read/heard of this.....?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Another ditto. I swapped out the battery like I would with any car.
20 minutes to replace - two lessons learned
1. Don't waste time trying to disconnect current sensor on negative - faster to just remove 12mm nut to separate this cable
2. Line up Red cover for positive terminal before tightening hold down brackets to make sure there is enough room

Probably would be more like10 minute job second time around :)
Started right up and it appears driver side battery controls all the computer settings so nothing lost for setup

With that said, let me drive for week and ensure I dont get random EV alert in morning and the Prius S46B24R will go the distance. Jury still out on that or whether I should have ordered Optima Yellow top. Welcome comments from others who tried the Duracell S46B24R to let me know how it worked.

·
Resident topic drifter
16,210 Posts
20 minutes to replace - two lessons learned
1. Don't waste time trying to disconnect current sensor on negative - faster to just remove 12mm nut to separate this cable
2. Line up Red cover for positive terminal before tightening hold down brackets to make sure there is enough room

Probably would be more like10 minute job second time around :)
Started right up and it appears driver side battery controls all the computer settings so nothing lost for setup

With that said, let me drive for week and ensure I dont get random EV alert in morning and the Prius S46B24R will go the distance. Jury still out on that or whether I should have ordered Optima Yellow top. Welcome comments from others who tried the Duracell S46B24R to let me know how it worked.
I use jumper cables when changing batteries so the car never completely loses power. Not sure if it's an issue with Crosstreks but didn't want to find out...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Need some help… I’ve got a 2015 Hybrid that wasn’t entering EV mode as much as it used to. Replaced the passenger side battery but it’s still not entering EV mode. Is there some sort of reset that I’ve got to do? Or do I need to swap the main battery as well?

61 - 74 of 74 Posts