Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Actually, both of these batteries are the same size, matching the start/stop battery. I’m talking about Optima DS46B24R.
OK. I have an optima battery too on the driver side. I have no issues so far Duracell start stop battery. It has only been a few months and I live in northern california where it does not get that cold compared to other parts of US.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have been dreading something going wrong with my 2014 XV Crosstrek Hybrid Touring. I purchased extra service coverage for this reason! I am so glad I checked the forum. The Hybrid System warning light started coming on for me about a month ago, just over 5 yrs after purchasing the car new. I only have about 40K miles on the car. The light goes away after restarting one to three times. Getting ready to take in for routine service at the dealership...will see what they say and what is covered, but it looks like Batteriesplus along with the posted Duracell battery will be my friend if the accessory needs to be replaced! It's discouraging to see these types of issues. I love Subarus and always wanted a hybrid. I hope this is not the start of a downward trend to a new car that will most likely take me away from the brand. Especially since it will be paid off within a year! :(

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have been dreading something going wrong with my 2014 XV Crosstrek Hybrid Touring. I purchased extra service coverage for this reason! I am so glad I checked the forum. The Hybrid System warning light started coming on for me about a month ago, just over 5 yrs after purchasing the car new. I only have about 40K miles on the car. The light goes away after restarting one to three times. Getting ready to take in for routine service at the dealership...will see what they say and what is covered, but it looks like Batteriesplus along with the posted Duracell battery will be my friend if the accessory needs to be replaced! It's discouraging to see these types of issues. I love Subarus and always wanted a hybrid. I hope this is not the start of a downward trend to a new car that will most likely take me away from the brand. Especially since it will be paid off within a year! :(
Update: Dealership quoted me $935 to replace it and warned me using non-Subaru part could invalidate the warranty on the hybrid battery....going to go to BatteriesPlus. Little worried b/c they stated they have never replaced this battery in a Crosstrek!

·
Registered
2 Posts
So glad to find this because I too received the "hybrid system warning" message on my 2015 Hybrid, 48K miles. My EV has never worked well in either in very hot temps or very cold temps, but after this message it totally disappeared. My start battery chugged when starting to the point that I had to turn off all functions (air conditioning, lights) before starting. Thanks to this forum I finally got myself down to Batteries Plus to replace both of the batteries (starter and auxiliary). It was $213 + $195 with 10% discount and the wonderful peeps there installed them both for nothing. Car is much peppier and the EV comes on sooner while driving than it did before. Super happy with this outcome and worth the pennies spent.

·
Registered
2015 XV Crosstrek Touring Hybrid 125,000 miles
7 Posts
I want to add my thanks for this information. I’m in the mountains in California and a few months ago had to replace the auxiliary battery on my 2015 XV Crosstrek Touring Hybrid. Was available nearby at O’Reilly’s, our only local auto parts store. Then, I got the "check hybrid system" light and found this thread. Ordered the Duracell Ultra Platinum AGM BCI Group S46B24R Battery through Advanced Autoparts since O’Reilly’s doesn’t carry it and UPS delivered it a few days later to my doorstep. I delayed replacing it due to elder care issues and pretty soon got the check engine and hill assist warning lights came on, and then the car just stalled out and stopped working (fortunately as I pulled into my driveway). Did the replacement yesterday and everything is working perfectly now so far. Bonus is the air conditioning started working again (who’d have thought?). I did end up unplugging both batteries for a few hours while I did other chores to get the check engine light reset. We have horrible wildfires nearby so it’s really good to have the car fully functional again in case we have to evacuate. I was happy to not pay a $1K and drive 3 hrs round trip (or get towed) for the stop/start battery replacement at the dealership. I’m feeling really grateful to this group and everyone who posted their experiences here. Thank you.

·
Resident topic drifter
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
16,210 Posts
I want to add my thanks for this information. I’m in the mountains in California and a few months ago had to replace the auxiliary battery on my 2015 XV Crosstrek Touring Hybrid. Was available nearby at O’Reilly’s, our only local auto parts store. Then, I got the "check hybrid system" light and found this thread. Ordered the Duracell Ultra Platinum AGM BCI Group S46B24R Battery through Advanced Autoparts since O’Reilly’s doesn’t carry it and UPS delivered it a few days later to my doorstep. I delayed replacing it due to elder care issues and pretty soon got the check engine and hill assist warning lights came on, and then the car just stalled out and stopped working (fortunately as I pulled into my driveway). Did the replacement yesterday and everything is working perfectly now so far. Bonus is the air conditioning started working again (who’d have thought?). I did end up unplugging both batteries for a few hours while I did other chores to get the check engine light reset. We have horrible wildfires nearby so it’s really good to have the car fully functional again in case we have to evacuate. I was happy to not pay a $1K and drive 3 hrs round trip (or get towed) for the stop/start battery replacement at the dealership. I’m feeling really grateful to this group and everyone who posted their experiences here. Thank you.
Welcome, and sorry about the fire danger. It's just awful this year. It's even smoky here in SM due to the Bobcat fire... 😿

·
Registered
1 Posts
You all don't know how much I appreciate this thread! I have a friend at the dealership who offered me a start/stop battery at cost - $481. I about died, and it was even worse when he said that if I paid retail it would be about $800 just for the battery. I kindly told him I would "ponder" on it and knew there had to be an alternative. I just ordered the Optima Yellow Top battery from Optima website as batteries plus or O'Reilly's wouldn't ship to me. I live in the middle of nowhere WV and we have an autozone and advanced but all the comparable batteries I found on their sites said not compatible with my 2014 xv Hybrid so I didn't want to take a chance. I will let you know how it goes once installed, it should be here end of next week. Thanks again!

·
Registered
36 Posts
That's the one I ended up getting about three years ago. Still going, but at this point it needs topping off with a smart charger occasionally when we're not driving much (as has been the case since March). Good luck! I expect the optima will work well for you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
JHelm007 You said what I've been thinking. Something about the vehicle is causing these batteries to draw down prematurely in the first place. Putting new batteries in doesn't negate that issue. I suspect all new batteries will eventually suffer the same fate. At least we all are aware now.

That's the one I ended up getting about three years ago. Still going, but at this point it needs topping off with a smart charger occasionally when we're not driving much (as has been the case since March). Good luck! I expect the optima will work well for you.

·
Registered
36 Posts
...on the other hand, there's a reason these batteries have a three-year warranty.

My battery hasn't failed to the point where I get a warning light or anything, it just doesn't charge enough to go into EV mode as much when I'm only driving 6 to 10 miles a week for months at a time. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the start/stop system works more consistently with a slightly more powerful alternator.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all! I'm new to the thread and a little new to Subaru. I bought a used 2014 XV Crosstrek Hybrid Touring 2 years ago and I recently started having problems with the engine restart stop/start battery (front passenger side). I took it to the dealership and they said the battery is dead and I need to replace it but quoted me at about $800. I looked on the forum and found there were 2 cheaper battery options that people have used as a replacement. Has anyone had any long term experience good or bad with these 2 batteries??? Duracell Ultra Platinum AGM BCI Group S46B24R Car and Truck Battery Duracell Ultra Platinum AGM BCI Group S46B24R Car and Truck Battery - SLI51PAGM at Batteries Plus Bulbs or Optima 46B24R Prius Yellow Top Starting Battery OPT8171-767 Optima Yellow Top AGM Battery for Optima DS46B24R Replacement - OPT8171-767 at Batteries Plus Bulbs

Does anyone know the actual specs of the Subaru battery replacement so I can compare it to the 2 cheaper battery options above? I can't seem to find them anywhere online and I hate to get a cheaper option if it won't work or will screw up the hybrid system.

This battery going dead makes me REALLYYYYYYYYY nervous about the large expensive battery in the trunk going dead......
Thanks to everyone who posted on this thread, I have found this very helpful. My daughters 2014 Crosstrek Hybrid did not present any errors but the car hadn't been entering EV mode for the last few months. I checked the start/stop battery voltage and it was only producing 8.7v, I attempted to charge it but it wouldn't charge up to normal voltage. I'm located in Canada and I was able to locate a compatible battery at Canadian Tire : https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/...s46b24r-battery-325-cca-0105122p.0105122.html I replaced the battery and EV still wasn't working immediately, I suspect the battery wasn't fully charged from the store, the following day the charge level was high enough I believe and EV mode finally started working normally again. Very happy I was able to get this fixed with the help of everyone here! Note that the Eliminator battery from Canadian Tire was the best value I could find locally at $249 and it has a 5 year warranty. One point however, if you go in and tell them you need a 2014 Crosstrek Hybrid "start stop" battery they will migrate to the Auxillary battery by default, I don't believe their database has the start stop battery listed for Subaru but is identified as the Prius battery.

One other tech reference I came across which I found useful was: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2013/MC-10067055-3639.pdf

·
Resident topic drifter
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
16,210 Posts
Not good that it wasn't charged from the store - batteries deteriorate if they're not stored fully charged. Hopefully, it wasn't for long and you got a good warranty. Glad everything got sorted!

·
Registered
11 Posts
After returning from a week away at Thanksgiving in 2020, my 2015 XV Crosstrek Hybrid had a dead Aux battery even though it was parked in a garage and had recently been taken off of my battery maintainer before leaving so it had a full charge on it. After recharging the Aux battery the car has never gone into EV mode even though the green hybrid "Ready" light was on. After reading through this forum I suspected the start/stop battery, but that battery was reading 12.5v at the terminal (90% state of charge), so I assumed it was still healthy. I had seen the price folks were being quoted for the dealer replacement battery. I also saw references to the Duracell battery for Toyota Prius as a less expensive option. My concern with the Duracell battery was the much lower CCA rating (325 CCA) vs the 500 CCA Subaru now recommends. I finally took the car to dealer today where they confirmed it was the start/stop battery causing the issue. They quoted me $806 ($580 for battery, $170 labor (diagnostic time, battery swap time, reprogram the hybrid system time), balance was the typical shop supplies charges and taxes). I questioned the service tech about the battery stating it was measuring 12.5v at the terminals before I brought it in. They pointed out that it's the loss of cold cranking amps over time that causes the issue and not the batteries ability to hold a charge. I went ahead and paid the big bucks for the extra CCA Subaru recommends. I asked the service tech what Subaru considers expected service life of start/stop battery. He said 3-5 years. Subaru also recommends changing the start/stop battery when the Aux battery is replaced. I'm on my second Aux battery since owning the car. $800 for the proper recommend CCA for start/stop battery is tough to swallow, but as my wife pointed out "that's about 2 car payments if you bought a new car". I've paid this car off, so maintenance and gas are my only cost. I guess everything in perspective. The hybrid definitely isn't saving any money since it is a mild hybrid and has never been able to stay in electric mode for long (barely touching accelerator kicks the gas engine on). It's basically a start/stop engine when stopped at lights or stop signs with the added performance boost of an electric motor to assist the gas engine for better acceleration. It's never significantly improved the MPGs over non-hybrids.

·
Registered
2 Posts
After returning from a week away at Thanksgiving in 2020, my 2015 XV Crosstrek Hybrid had a dead Aux battery even though it was parked in a garage and had recently been taken off of my battery maintainer before leaving so it had a full charge on it. After recharging the Aux battery the car has never gone into EV mode even though the green hybrid "Ready" light was on. After reading through this forum I suspected the start/stop battery, but that battery was reading 12.5v at the terminal (90% state of charge), so I assumed it was still healthy. I had seen the price folks were being quoted for the dealer replacement battery. I also saw references to the Duracell battery for Toyota Prius as a less expensive option. My concern with the Duracell battery was the much lower CCA rating (325 CCA) vs the 500 CCA Subaru now recommends. I finally took the car to dealer today where they confirmed it was the start/stop battery causing the issue. They quoted me $806 ($580 for battery, $170 labor (diagnostic time, battery swap time, reprogram the hybrid system time), balance was the typical shop supplies charges and taxes). I questioned the service tech about the battery stating it was measuring 12.5v at the terminals before I brought it in. They pointed out that it's the loss of cold cranking amps over time that causes the issue and not the batteries ability to hold a charge. I went ahead and paid the big bucks for the extra CCA Subaru recommends. I asked the service tech what Subaru considers expected service life of start/stop battery. He said 3-5 years. Subaru also recommends changing the start/stop battery when the Aux battery is replaced. I'm on my second Aux battery since owning the car. $800 for the proper recommend CCA for start/stop battery is tough to swallow, but as my wife pointed out "that's about 2 car payments if you bought a new car". I've paid this car off, so maintenance and gas are my only cost. I guess everything in perspective. The hybrid definitely isn't saving any money since it is a mild hybrid and has never been able to stay in electric mode for long (barely touching accelerator kicks the gas engine on). It's basically a start/stop engine when stopped at lights or stop signs with the added performance boost of an electric motor to assist the gas engine for better acceleration. It's never significantly improved the MPGs over non-hybrids.
I have a 2014 Subaru XVCrosstrek Hybrid Touring with 129999 miles on it. I bought it used from Vacaville Volkswagen in Vacaville, CA with 14K mines on it. I drove it cross-country 3x to Fort Gordon, GA and back with NO issues! Not even a chip on the windshield. I had the stop/start battery replaced about 3 years ago with a Yellow Top Optimum battery and the hybrid system worked great. In the last few months I've had the notorious check hybrid system light, check engine, hill assist and battery light go off and on. The only way to keep the ICE engine on is to turn on the front windshield defrost and set the temp. to 79* or the ICE engine shuts off. Today I purchased and replaced both batteries with Duracells from Batteries+Bulbs (SLI35 & SLI51PAGM). The hybrid issue is still an issue...

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 2015 Crosstrek Hybrid started with the Hybrid malfunction light, then Hill Assist, Check Engine and Red Battery all on at once. Subaru dealer first said it was the Hybrid Alternator, but before they repaired it, they determined it was the Start/Stop Battery. The cost through the dealer was 800 for the battery plus 300 for labor. Using this forum, we bought Optima Yellow Top AGM BCI Group S46B24R Starting Battery from O'reillys for about 250.00. My husband switched it out easily. Not only does it run better, lights all off, but the EV light comes on (yay!) and my gas mileage has improved by at least 5 mpg. Hope this helps!
FYI, same thing is happening again, it seems like the Start/Stop battery lasts approx 2 years.

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited
718 Posts
Get an Odyssey...
Would you happen to have a part number or a group size? When I look up an Odyssey for mine it says none available.

EDIT.

Nevermind. I found it :)

Looks like they don't make that size anymore though.

41 - 60 of 74 Posts