Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! I'm new to the thread and a little new to Subaru. I bought a used 2014 XV Crosstrek Hybrid Touring 2 years ago and I recently started having problems with the engine restart stop/start battery (front passenger side). I took it to the dealership and they said the battery is dead and I need to replace it but quoted me at about $800. I looked on the forum and found there were 2 cheaper battery options that people have used as a replacement. Has anyone had any long term experience good or bad with these 2 batteries??? Duracell Ultra Platinum AGM BCI Group S46B24R Car and Truck Battery https://www.batteriesplus.com/productdetails/sli51pagm or Optima 46B24R Prius Yellow Top Starting Battery OPT8171-767 https://www.batteriesplus.com/replacement/battery/optima/ds46b24r/opt8171=767

Does anyone know the actual specs of the Subaru battery replacement so I can compare it to the 2 cheaper battery options above? I can't seem to find them anywhere online and I hate to get a cheaper option if it won't work or will screw up the hybrid system.

This battery going dead makes me REALLYYYYYYYYY nervous about the large expensive battery in the trunk going dead......

·
Registered
12 Posts
I bought the Duracell from Batteries Plus. Had them replace the other battery at the same time. Shop stores though, it was cheaper at the store near my girlfriends house than it was here at home. I think it was near $300 for both batteries.

--md

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's good to know! I don't think I'll need to replace my other battery yet though. How long have you had your Duracell start/stop battery? Any problems?

·
Registered
12 Posts
It's been in the car for a little less than six months. No issues at all. The original batteries were four years old and I did notice some of the symptoms others were experiencing.

--md

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just replaced this battery today on my car (2015) using the Duracell Ultra Platinum AGM BCI Group S46B24R. So obviously no long term experience, but some research and details I can share.

Spec for this battery is 450A CCA; you can see OEM model N55-R.
Screenshot_20190112-181439_Drive.jpg

My battery was diagnosed by the dealer in response to a check engine light. Don't think this is the cause of my check engine though since it came on while my car was running.

EV mode was still working fine with my old battery, tested at 323A CCA. The Duracell is warrantied at 410A CCA to 4 years; new out of BatteriesPlus mine tested at 488A CCA. The warrantied value is below spec, but it's a no brainer over a $700+ battery that's maybe warrantied to spec for only a year.

BatteriesPlus associates were very helpful. Optima is warrantied to spec value of 450A. But comment from associate was that since Optima moved manufacturing to Mexico it feels like return/warranty rate has gone from 10% to 35%. Couldn't recall a Duracell return.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the image! That helps a lot! I still don't fully understand all the battery talk/specs but it looks like the Duracell matches up to the OEM battery. The warranty is definitely better than the OEM.

It's frustrating the cruise control is disabled when the hybrid warning light is on so I will probably try out this cheaper replacement!

I just replaced this battery today on my car (2015) using the Duracell Ultra Platinum AGM BCI Group S46B24R. So obviously no long term experience, but some research and details I can share.

Spec for this battery is 450A CCA; you can see OEM model N55-R.
View attachment 286402

My battery was diagnosed by the dealer in response to a check engine light. Don't think this is the cause of my check engine though since it came on while my car was running.

EV mode was still working fine with my old battery, tested at 323A CCA. The Duracell is warrantied at 410A CCA to 4 years; new out of BatteriesPlus mine tested at 488A CCA. The warrantied value is below spec, but it's a no brainer over a $700+ battery that's maybe warrantied to spec for only a year.

BatteriesPlus associates were very helpful. Optima is warrantied to spec value of 450A. But comment from associate was that since Optima moved manufacturing to Mexico it feels like return/warranty rate has gone from 10% to 35%. Couldn't recall a Duracell return.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This was very helpful! My EV would not engage, I saw this thread and installed the recommended Duracell Ultra Platinum AGM BCI Group S46B24R battery. Now it works great and the EV mode kicks in when it should - Thank you for saving me $600+!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all this thread was super helpful when muy start stop battery failed on me. I got the Duracell for a replacement and just installed it last night. Question: does it take a while to start performing? For the EV to start working again? I drove it around the neighborhood and nothing happened any experience?

·
Super Moderator
8,379 Posts
Hi all this thread was super helpful when muy start stop battery failed on me. I got the Duracell for a replacement and just installed it last night. Question: does it take a while to start performing? For the EV to start working again? I drove it around the neighborhood and nothing happened any experience?
Welcome to the forum!

Dumb question but are you sure that new battery is fully charged?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I replaced battery in aug-2019 and almost year later first symptom of trouble ahead started. When o turn off the engine and ope the door to exit it sporadically chaims

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you so much for this POST! I had this issue with my 2014 Crosstrek Hybrid Touring this week and was desperate to find a solution that was less expensive than the $800 quoted battery price from the dealership. I am so grateful for the links to the battery. My mechanic replaced this after market version and fingers crossed the issue is solved.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2015 Crosstrek Hybrid started with the Hybrid malfunction light, then Hill Assist, Check Engine and Red Battery all on at once. Subaru dealer first said it was the Hybrid Alternator, but before they repaired it, they determined it was the Start/Stop Battery. The cost through the dealer was 800 for the battery plus 300 for labor. Using this forum, we bought Optima Yellow Top AGM BCI Group S46B24R Starting Battery from O'reillys for about 250.00. My husband switched it out easily. Not only does it run better, lights all off, but the EV light comes on (yay!) and my gas mileage has improved by at least 5 mpg. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
1 Posts
This was extremely helpful, I was just quoted at Subaru the same $800 everyone else got and drove half a mile to Batteries plus and had it replaced with the Duracell and installed for $230.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2015 Crosstrek Hybrid started with the Hybrid malfunction light, then Hill Assist, Check Engine and Red Battery all on at once. Subaru dealer first said it was the Hybrid Alternator, but before they repaired it, they determined it was the Start/Stop Battery. The cost through the dealer was 800 for the battery plus 300 for labor. Using this forum, we bought Optima Yellow Top AGM BCI Group S46B24R Starting Battery from O'reillys for about 250.00. My husband switched it out easily. Not only does it run better, lights all off, but the EV light comes on (yay!) and my gas mileage has improved by at least 5 mpg. Hope this helps!
I was just wondering how has your vehicle been running since you replaced the start /stop battery? I started having issues this week with my crosstrek. I haven't brought it to the dealership yet given all the forums out there and this start/stop battery seems to be working for people? I think.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was just wondering how has your vehicle been running since you replaced the start /stop battery? I started having issues this week with my crosstrek. I haven't brought it to the dealership yet given all the forums out there and this start/stop battery seems to be working for people? I think.
Totally fine since replacement. At this point, it has been 3 months and I have had zero issues. Replacing the start/stop battery fixed all my issues. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,

Brand-new to this forum. In fact, I just joined to say thanks for this thread and all of the info contained in it.

I have a 2015 hybrid touring w/ ~ 89k miles. I had two unusual incidents in the last month. The first happened when I was stopped at the bottom of my driveway waiting for a contractor's truck to leave. The crosstrek engine shut off and it went into EV mode. After the truck cleared the driveway, I went to drive up and got about 15 feet up before my car stalled.

I shut it off and restarted, and drove to my garage without really giving it a second thought. Then, last week, I was eating lunch in my car and listening to an audiobook for ~ 20 minutes. Afterward, the car wouldn't start. I got a jump, drove it back to work and it started right up at the end of the day.

On my way home that night, I noticed that it wasn't going into EV at all (at traffic lights, with climate control and all other stuff 'off').

So, I googled the problem, found this thread, ordered the Duracell battery from Batteries+Bulbs this morning, picked it up this afternoon, installed it, and... problem solved! EV is back, for ~ $200 and 20 min of my time.

Thanks all! (y)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm also new to the forum and created an account to express my gratitude. Thank you abbylizb for kicking of this thread and the rest of you for your input. You saved me $600+ and I am so grateful - beers on me!

My 2014 XV Crosstrek Hybrid recently gave me a dreaded "hybrid system warning" message instructing me to turn the car off and go to a service center immediately. Following this message, the stop/start/EV mode on my subie no longer worked. No further message or error light was present again. Note - the EV ready light stayed green on my dash and the hybrid battery continued to charge on the center screen.

After reading this thread, I contacted my local dealer and received a quote to replace the 12 volt engine restart battery. I got the same figure as mentioned in this thread at $800+. Uh, no thanks Subaru! Batteries+ to the rescue! I visited my local Batteries+ store to test my battery (free, no obligation test btw). My CCA test came back at an anemic 38 CCA at 47 degrees and was a definite candidate to replace. I went with the Duracell Ultra Platinum AGM BCI group S46B24R battery (model/part SLI51PAGM) and it restored my car's stop/start/EV mode immediately - score!

It's a smallish battery weighing around 30 lbs and is smaller than the auxiliary one on the drivers side. Anyone that owns a 10 mm (long) socket & wrench and has a wee bit of desire can tackle this job. Otherwise, Batteries+ does the test and battery install complimentary. Oh and there's a 20% off online purchase code good through 2/28/20 and another $10 mail in rebate on top of that. Grand total after all the incentives is around $175.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Totally fine since replacement. At this point, it has been 3 months and I have had zero issues. Replacing the start/stop battery fixed all my issues. Hope this helps!
Re
Hi all! I'm new to the thread and a little new to Subaru. I bought a used 2014 XV Crosstrek Hybrid Touring 2 years ago and I recently started having problems with the engine restart stop/start battery (front passenger side). I took it to the dealership and they said the battery is dead and I need to replace it but quoted me at about $800. I looked on the forum and found there were 2 cheaper battery options that people have used as a replacement. Has anyone had any long term experience good or bad with these 2 batteries??? Duracell Ultra Platinum AGM BCI Group S46B24R Car and Truck Battery https://www.batteriesplus.com/productdetails/sli51pagm or Optima 46B24R Prius Yellow Top Starting Battery OPT8171-767 https://www.batteriesplus.com/replacement/battery/optima/ds46b24r/opt8171=767

Does anyone know the actual specs of the Subaru battery replacement so I can compare it to the 2 cheaper battery options above? I can't seem to find them anywhere online and I hate to get a cheaper option if it won't work or will screw up the hybrid system.

This battery going dead makes me REALLYYYYYYYYY nervous about the large expensive battery in the trunk going dead......
Replacing mine as we speak... well watching my step dad do it 😄 !! Using the Duracell one. Crossing my fingers it works.!!

I have a 2014

1 - 19 of 19 Posts