Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy. New member and new owner of a 5-speed 2013 XV with 117k miles on it.

I was letting my girlfriend and her sisters try learning manual. I noticed when they had some violent stalls and shifts from 1st to 2nd, the engine was making some pretty nasty knocking sounds. Then I was experiencing some ticking in the engine while I was coming to a stop thereafter.

Any thoughts what the issue may be??

Thanks for your time!

·
Registered
2020 Premium 6MT
384 Posts
Hi and welcome!

A sound similar to knocking, pinging or ticking isn't uncommon if you let up on the clutch too quickly, but manage not to stall the car - especially on a hill. You are basically on the verge of stalling when this happens. You may also hear it if you are in way too high a gear for your speed - severely lugging the engine.

Just one bit of advice when teaching someone to drive an MT. The hardest thing for beginners to learn is the feel of the clutch at the point of engagement. I have found the best way to teach without getting into shouting matches is this. The student must practice moving the car from a stop with ONLY the clutch and is not allowed to use the accelerator until they are able to move the car from a stop smoothly with ONLY the clutch 5 times in a row. After that they may use the accelerator.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much! My girlfriend started on my old Honda Accord and definitely had some jolly starts on that, but I never heard that engine make the sounds the Subaru did haha!

Glad to hear she didn’t break my new car!

·
Registered
2020 Premium 6MT
384 Posts
Thanks so much! My girlfriend started on my old Honda Accord and definitely had some jolly starts on that, but I never heard that engine make the sounds the Subaru did haha!

Glad to hear she didn’t break my new car!
Nope, she didn't break your new car. :) And to elaborate further, you cannot wear out a clutch by messing up a few times. Premature clutch wear happens because of chronic bad habits over thousands of miles, not a few bad starts. I hope she is reading this. ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts