Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Hood
Oh no. I am officially that person who complains. It really happened. I just want it fixed. The insurance company 6 weeks later is now saying they may total it out. Key word is may. So I am still in limbo. I bought the car to be my retirement car because I know what a great reliable car it is. Its only 7 years old with 45K miles. I still believe in Subaru. The "Subaru fix this" came from reading the headline of this thread, Engine-hood latch disengaging? It lead me to think this may be an issue. If there is a latch issue that some have experienced, the latch should be fixed. I guess I was wrong according to your responses. I am frustrated because all the service is done at the dealership. If there was an issue or possible issue such as wear, I feel they should have told me. I know I should be proactive and check these things on the car myself, but sadly I wouldn't know where to start. I don't even have a reason to open the hood. I rely on the mechanics. I guess I will forever check hood latches but will ask someone for a lesson first. If I was a scammer I would have not allowed my pic to be seen. Just saying. The advice of stay on the insurance co. is what I will take from this. Based on the topic, check your latches and stay safe.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Hood
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive tire Alloy wheel
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive exterior
Windshield Glass Windscreen wiper Automotive exterior Auto part

·
Premium Member
908 Posts
I will take a few pics later MGA and take the opportunity to apologize. I will show in detail how it works. I understand your fear. Again I sincerely apologize. Don't judge this formum on my initial response. There is a lot of good info here. Please hang around!!!

·
Prefers black cats
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
13,711 Posts
Oh no. I am officially that person who complains. It really happened. I just want it fixed. The insurance company 6 weeks later is now saying they may total it out. Key word is may. So I am still in limbo. I bought the car to be my retirement car because I know what a great reliable car it is. Its only 7 years old with 45K miles. I still believe in Subaru. The "Subaru fix this" came from reading the headline of this thread, Engine-hood latch disengaging? It lead me to think this may be an issue. If there is a latch issue that some have experienced, the latch should be fixed. I guess I was wrong according to your responses. I am frustrated because all the service is done at the dealership. If there was an issue or possible issue such as wear, I feel they should have told me. I know I should be proactive and check these things on the car myself, but sadly I wouldn't know where to start. I don't even have a reason to open the hood. I rely on the mechanics. I guess I will forever check hood latches but will ask someone for a lesson first. If I was a scammer I would have not allowed my pic to be seen. Just saying. The advice of stay on the insurance co. is what I will take from this. Based on the topic, check your latches and stay safe.
Wow, now I am really curious about exactly what happened. Maybe the hood latch is different on the previous gen as I looked at ours the other days after @adc's post and don't see how it could happen. If you ever find out, please let us know.

·
Premium Member
908 Posts
MGA: Here is some info that might help you:
Check the fixture on inside of the hood:

Make sure it is secure and both bolts are tight. You should see where on that bar it engages with the latch mechanism. Paint will be removed on the bar.

Check the primary and secondary (emergency) latches:

The secondary (emergency) latch has the blue dot on it. Make sure it is free to move when you operate the hood latch. Check in there and there is a spring to hold it in position. Even if that spring fails when you allow the hood to close that latch will move to the left and as the doward weight increases the latch is forcet to engage and hold the hood closed. Just as it engages the MAIN LATCH in front with the LARGE spring engages. It engages the same way that the inner (emergency latch) engages. It makes a distinctive noise as the hood is fully engaged and goes flush with the rest of the body.

If you have any questions please let me know or PM me. I understand how much this probably affected you. But once you assure yourself how it works and that it is functioning. ..The chance that it can malfunction is almost zero. If you feel uncomfortable get subaru to check it.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I still believe in Subaru. The "Subaru fix this" came from reading the headline of this thread, Engine-hood latch disengaging? It lead me to think this may be an issue.
It's interesting. There have been some reports and recalls in Australia in recent years with the safety catch on the bonnet latch on some vehicles disengaging while the vehicle is in motion. Notably Nissan, Hyundai and Kia and apparently the Subaru Tribeca model. Corrosion of the safety latch cable, the lubricant gunking up, paint flaking of the latch ...

·
Prefers black cats
13,711 Posts
Wanted to provide a final update to close my story out. Just this last week the insurance company decided to total the vehicle out.
Wow! Was there some structural damage, besides the smashed windshield?

Will you get another Crosstrek? I can imagine how off-putting it may be but it really is a very rare thing to happen. I've been on a lot of car forums over the years and this was the first I saw, probably also why @adc was skeptical at first.

Reactions: SubieSubieDo

·
Prefers black cats
13,711 Posts
Yeah, we're wondering why we have two cars at the moment when we're barely using one!

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Been without a car for a few months and it has worked out. Going to take some time to decide. Work will be online until at least December so no urgency. Want to put off a car payment for as long as possible.
So sorry this had happened to you must have been so scary at the time and frustrating in the meantime. Glad it's resolved now. I realise you probably just want to put this behind you but I was wondering if you had anyone remove and look at the safety latch cable to make sure it hadn't corroded or that the latch hadn't gunked up like the recalls of some vehicles in Australia I'd posted above. I thought perhaps if it turned out like the Takata airbags if the saftey catch cable was supplied by a common supplier and proved a universal fault over time, you'd have a record and perhaps a chance of compensation. I hope the write off hasn't left you out of pocket with your loan. Very best wishes.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Wow! Was there some structural damage, besides the smashed windshield?
Not too surprising. A friend on another car forum had a similar result. Having a hood fly open at freeway speeds, the A-pillars, roof, fenders, and hood would have all likely taken damage. That's a lot of repair for them to cover on a 7 y/o car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My hood latch released on its own a few weeks ago, only once and I assumed I had somehow popped the lever by accident. I plan to have the dealer look at it next time I'm in.
My 2018 Crosstrek hood latch has been releasing spontaneously while stationary as well as in while in motion around town and on the highway since I purchased it. The dealer has looked at it four times, lubricated the latch, replaced the latch to no avail. When it opens while stationary where I live in the city, there is a risk of the battery being stolen or other vandalism. On the highway; when it releases the hood bangs up and down which is startling and dangerous. The dealer claims they can’t do anything because in the shop they can’t find a problem,

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have this problem with my XV cross track 2020. It happened already 3 times. After the 2nd time I understood the problem. My left shoe sometimes pulls the engine hood lever when I exit the car. I went to the dealer and showed the problem. They understood but said this is just how it is. Now that I know I am more carful when I exit the car and always look at the hood to see it is not unlocked.
still it is a safety hazard that should be fixed. My children drive the car also and I am worried because of them.

·
Premium Member
908 Posts
Now that I know I am more carful when I exit the car and always look at the hood to see it is not unlocked.
still it is a safety hazard that should be fixed. My children drive the car also and I am worried because of them.
Well I understand how you feel. The secondary safety latch somehow failed. I wish the OP had attached pics. My guess is that the bracket on the underside of the hood failed but more likely the shaft that holds the secondary latch failed. Its one in a million but I will look tomorrow, The bracket is fastened by 8 cm nuts. So locknuts could be in place. My guess is that the OP's main lock was not engaged for a while and vibration caused the shaft to fail.

I'll take a closer look tomorrow and see if there is a fix for that.

·
Registered
1 Posts
View attachment 300359 Oh no. I am officially that person who complains. It really happened. I just want it fixed. The insurance company 6 weeks later is now saying they may total it out. Key word is may. So I am still in limbo. I bought the car to be my retirement car because I know what a great reliable car it is. Its only 7 years old with 45K miles. I still believe in Subaru. The "Subaru fix this" came from reading the headline of this thread, Engine-hood latch disengaging? It lead me to think this may be an issue. If there is a latch issue that some have experienced, the latch should be fixed. I guess I was wrong according to your responses. I am frustrated because all the service is done at the dealership. If there was an issue or possible issue such as wear, I feel they should have told me. I know I should be proactive and check these things on the car myself, but sadly I wouldn't know where to start. I don't even have a reason to open the hood. I rely on the mechanics. I guess I will forever check hood latches but will ask someone for a lesson first. If I was a scammer I would have not allowed my pic to be seen. Just saying. The advice of stay on the insurance co. is what I will take from this. Based on the topic, check your latches and stay safe.
View attachment 300359 View attachment 300360 View attachment 300361 View attachment 300362
My hood lach failed on my subaru legacy. On 2 separate occasions my hood light came on while driving. I assumed I had somehow bumped the release. Then one day I hit a deer and the hood flew up and smashed the windshield... I am not so sure any of those incidents were my fault. The hood should have stayed latched and buckled. I was asking same thing. Is t his a known issue?

·
Registered
Crosstrek Outdoor, Subaru Legacy 2.0 GT spec.B
365 Posts
I had a hood latch fail on a 2004 JDM Legacy. Fortunately at low speed with no traffic. A friend straightened out the hood to a reasonable level and another friend donated a latch mechanism from an Impreza he was breaking. I drove it like that for quite a long time :LOL:

·
Registered
Crosstrek Outdoor, Subaru Legacy 2.0 GT spec.B
365 Posts
I have this problem with my XV cross track 2020. It happened already 3 times. After the 2nd time I understood the problem. My left shoe sometimes pulls the engine hood lever when I exit the car. ...
If it were me I would try to make sure my foot/shoe could not catch the lever...
1 At simplest gaffer tape over the cabin mechanism lever?
2 Shorten the lever by cutting it down a bit?
3 Cobble some sort of locking mechanism on the lever that needs to be released first before you can pull the lever?
Just a few thoughts...
Good luck :unsure:

21 - 40 of 42 Posts