Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sorry the title is misspelled. Wish I could fix that. Anyhoo...Has anyone experienced their engine hood-latch disengaging randomly? I have owned my Crosstrek since Oct 2013. It has randomly happened 3 times since. The safety catch keeps it from flying open when driving. Anyone?

·
Registered
1 Posts
This has happened to me twice on my 2017 Crosstrek over the course of a year. Heading to the dealer soon... I HOPE there's an obvious fix! I know that interminent issues are the hardest to replicate and find, especially if its not widespread enough to warrant a recall.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I try to grease/oil latches and cables to prevent binding.

artosa

·
Registered
2020 Pearl White Crosstrek Sport with Eyesight, CVT
255 Posts
My hood latch released on its own a few weeks ago, only once and I assumed I had somehow popped the lever by accident. I plan to have the dealer look at it next time I'm in.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Lucky to be alive. 2013 Subaru Crosstrek hood latch failed on freeway slamming up on windshield. Shattered windshield. Thankfully it was the beginning of covid stay at home. Freeway was pretty empty. Had to pull over in carpool lane and flag down cars. Cops arrived and said lucky to be alive. A hood latch fail on a 2013 vehicle that is serviced on schedule at Subaru is unacceptable. Subaru needs to fix this. 6 weeks later still no repaired vehicle and insurance and repair shop going back and forth. Frustrated.

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Limited
858 Posts
MGA:
I am sorry to hear this, I'm sure that it is extremely frustrating, as you say. Keep the pressure on both your Insurance and repair shop to fix this and get you back on the road.

·
Prefers black cats
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
13,753 Posts
Lucky to be alive. 2013 Subaru Crosstrek hood latch failed on freeway slamming up on windshield. Shattered windshield. Thankfully it was the beginning of covid stay at home. Freeway was pretty empty. Had to pull over in carpool lane and flag down cars. Cops arrived and said lucky to be alive. A hood latch fail on a 2013 vehicle that is serviced on schedule at Subaru is unacceptable. Subaru needs to fix this. 6 weeks later still no repaired vehicle and insurance and repair shop going back and forth. Frustrated.
Usually, even if the main latch fails, the safety latch should stop the hood blowing up. Having them both fail is like winning the lottery but not in a good way. Let us know what happens...

·
Premium Member
921 Posts
Usually, even if the main latch fails, the safety latch should stop the hood blowing up. Having them both fail is like winning the lottery but not in a good way. Let us know what happens...
I need to know precisely how this happened. Call me skeptical but I see on car forums, a poster with one post comes on and badmouths a vehicle. I am a mechanical engineer by trade its literally near impossible to understand how this could happen.

Again I want to see proof..pics or it didn't happen.

·
Prefers black cats
13,753 Posts
I need to know precisely how this happened. Call me skeptical but I see on car forums, a poster with one post comes on and badmouths a vehicle. I am a mechanical engineer by trade its literally near impossible to understand how this could happen.

Again I want to see proof..pics or it didn't happen.
I'm skeptical too, as I also see the same thing. It happens here fairly often, too.

However, I can see how this could happen:

If the safety latch gets seized up in the open position, due to corrosion, and the service tech doesn't notice, and then the main latch fails, you could have this scenario. The part I disagree with is "Subaru needs to fix this." - it's not Subaru's fault, if this is what happened, it's the service tech at the dealer who was negligent.

Reactions: MGA and sas-XV

·
Premium Member
921 Posts
Yea Astro, I can see that. But loke at it closely. Its ingenious: If it sticks in the open position its not possible to even engage the main catch. If the little spring breaks it is actually forced to lock when the hood is closed. It can't come open bc once it is latched the weight of the hood forces it to stgay locked. The only way it Could fail is if the bar on the hood breaks or somehow BOTH hood bolts work loose. I am 99.99% sure the claim is bogus. Again.I am willing to recant but I need to see proof.

·
Prefers black cats
13,753 Posts
Yea Astro, I can see that. But loke at it closely. Its ingenious: If it sticks in the open position its not possible to even engage the main catch. If the little spring breaks it is actually forced to lock when the hood is closed. It can't come open bc once it is latched the weight of the hood forces it to stgay locked. The only way it Could fail is if the bar on the hood breaks or somehow BOTH hood bolts work loose. I am 99.99% sure the claim is bogus. Again.I am willing to recant but I need to see proof.
Just went to take a look, as I was curious and you're right. Ingenious. I was thinking of the latches on older cars I've owned that were not nearly as integrated, if at all, and never really paid attention to how the latch on the Crosstrek works. I'm with you now...

·
Prefers black cats
13,753 Posts
Wow, what a warm and friendly welcome to the forum....
Actually, this is one of the most welcoming and friendly forums I've encountered and I've been online since before there was an Internet... 😸

Folks do come here to vent, though, to "get back" at Subaru, or for other reasons intended to dissuade people from buying a Crosstrek. A first post with a vent and not really asking a question or advice, kind of fits that bill. Also, having checked what @adc wrote about, I agree that the possibility of the hood flying up while you're driving seems to be infinitessimal.

Let's give @MGA the benefit of the doubt for now, until we get more info from him/her.

Reactions: sas-XV
1 - 20 of 42 Posts