Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had the recent misfortune of my 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek engine failing at 85,000 miles due to being "rod knocked." I was told that the engine must be replaced. I regularly changed the oil on my vehicle and feel confident that something unusual has gone awry. Everything was working perfectly and then it suddenly began clanking and rattling on the highway. I've emailed customer service and hope to speak with them tomorrow.

My question is with regard to my best options as far as engine replacement go. The Subaru parts department has located a used motor with 60,000 miles on it that they can install for me for a total price of 3974$ (parts, labor, fluid refills, hoses, tax etc.) With this I would receive a warranty for 12 months or 12,000 miles.

This seems like a reasonable price point to me, but I am nervous now that something of this sort could happen again and would ideally like a longer warranty. I am just not entirely sure if it is worth the extra money to have a longer warranty and am of course very disappointed to spend this money as I did not imagine I would to have to replace my engine at 85,000 miles.

If I were to choose to get a new factory engine I am told it would be about double the price, but that the parts department would only be able to get a new short block factory engine and this engine would then need to be added to to make it a long block engine. If I were to do this I would then receive a 3 year or 36,000 mile warranty.
Of course this warranty option is better, but I am wanting advice as I know my 2014 XV Crosstrek isn't worth what it was when I bought it, and I'm wondering if it's worth it to spend the money with the additional risk of the new engine having to be modified to create a long block.

I'm also curious about how the value of my vehicle will increase or decrease with these engine replacement options. I'm imagining a new engine would possibly increase it's value whereas a used motor would decrease it, but I am not sure by how much or if in both cases a new engine would decrease the car's value regardless.

Any opinions as to the best course of action are greatly appreciated. Kind Regards.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Sorry to hear of your troubles. Depending on where you are located consider finding a reputable independent Subaru repair shop and look into what they would charge to completely rebuild your engine. That may only come with a 12k mi warranty but at least it would have all new internal components and not 60k mi. You'd likely spend less than the dealer half new/half 60k used engine.

·
Premium Member
326 Posts
I agree with Peter. Yes extended warranties are not cheap. But they give you peace of mind. Also of you use it..even though say it saves you $500 on the repair then you got the warranty $500 cheaper.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Find out what an independent shop would charge to replace your engine with a used engine. Modern engines are difficult to repair properly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update: I spoke to Subaru customer service, and they are saying that they are unable to help with repair costs as a result of my having my vehicle serviced at businesses other than Subaru. He says that as a result of my being over the warranty period and Subaru not having a service history on file they are unable to assist with any repair costs. This sounds like a poor excuse to me if the engine is defective. It seems to me that if I could get a full evaluation of the state of the engine and parts under the hood I might be able to prove that this was due to a defective engine and not due to improper servicing. Does anyone have any experience with this situation?

Thank you all for your feedback I am looking into independent contractors in town and getting additional options and estimates.

·
Premium Member
326 Posts
. This sounds like a poor excuse to me if the engine is defective. It seems to me that if I could get a full evaluation of the state of the engine and parts under the hood I might be able to prove that this was due to a defective engine and not due to improper servicing. Does anyone have any experience with this situation?
Well your engine is 25K over warranty. If you had a history of having it serviced at Subaru, You might have gotten a "good faith" help. Sadly I dont think their response is out of line. Keep us up to date. Good luck!!!

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
8,178 Posts
Well your engine is 25K over warranty. If you had a history of having it serviced at Subaru, You might have gotten a "good faith" help. Sadly I dont think their response is out of line. Keep us up to date. Good luck!!!
Sadly, I agree. After 85K miles, there's no way Subaru can know how the engine was treated, how well it was maintained, etc. Also, with the labor that would be involved in a "full evaluation" of the the engine you could end up spending a lot of money and still not being able to prove Subaru did something wrong. Good luck!

·
Registered
613 Posts
unfortunately we've come to expect bailouts even when they aren't warranted. your car is out of warranty so why the engine failed isn't germane. it's your problem now.

you did the right thing by appealing to Subaru. I did that with a Toyota truck once that was waaay out of warranty and Toyota refunded 95% of the cost of repair ($1800) which was performed by an independent mechanic.

that deal for $4000 sounds good to me.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2019 Crosstrek Limited
893 Posts
I tend to agree with adc and AstroKats. However if you have receipts for all your oil changes, indicating the proper viscosity and change intervals, you've got nothing to lose by presenting that documentation to Subaru since one of their rebuttals was no maintenance history on file. BTW, nothing says that those oil changes had to be done by a Subaru dealer although that would help in an out-of-warranty situation like yours.

·
Premium Member
326 Posts
I tend to agree with adc and AstroKats. However if you have receipts for all your oil changes, indicating the proper viscosity and oil change intervals, you've got nothing to lose by presenting that documentation to Subaru since one of their rebuttals was no maintenance history on file. BTW, nothing says that those oil changes had to be done by a Subaru dealer although that would help in an out-of-warranty situation like yours.
True!!!

·
Registered
613 Posts
I tend to agree with adc and AstroKats. However if you have receipts for all your oil changes, indicating the proper viscosity and change intervals, you've got nothing to lose by presenting that documentation to Subaru since one of their rebuttals was no maintenance history on file. BTW, nothing says that those oil changes had to be done by a Subaru dealer although that would help in an out-of-warranty situation like yours.
a waste of time in my opinion. they're not going to fix the car and really why should they. I would have told the guy there's a higher likelihood of a service issue if I had used a dealership and to go eff himself. he didn't need to say that.

·
Registered
30 Posts
SubaruBill's suggestion is certainly worth a try. If you have your service records, compile them to align with the maintenance schedule in your owner's manual and ask the dealer and/or Subaru Regional rep to review. Unfortunately, they will likely still decline to assist. And while it is certainly frustrating to have your engine fail at 85k, in all honesty the dealer/manufacturer is well within reason to decline. As others have said, regardless of service history they have no knowledge of how the car was used and/or abused. Please do not take that personally, it is a simple statement of fact. Some people fail to warm-up their engine before pushing it hard, some folks tow too-heavy trailers, some like high engine revs, some experience overheating, etc. All things out of the dealer's or manufacturer's control. And it sounds like you haven't had a long-term service relationship with them so in their eyes you are an unknown.

If the failure occurred at say...62k mi...and you had all service records they might be inclined to assist to some extent. Since you're almost 50% beyond the 60k warranty you are likely out of luck. I've been there myself and I know how I felt when my factory-rebuilt Vanagon engine threw a rod through the block at 27k mi after I'd spent over $5k on the dealer install, new clutch and full transaxle rebuild and had done all service religiously. I will never own another Volkswagen.

If your car still runs you might consider seeking an independent Subaru repair shop opinion. Perhaps things are not as grim as your dealer indicated. Sometimes things are just bad enough that a dealer service dept. won't get involved unless they can confidently repair and warrant their work. Sometimes that means recommending a new engine. From their perspective that solution is "one-and-done". Low probability of further troubles for them. An independent shop may be more flexible in what they would undertake short of a full engine replacement. Might be a longshot but seems you have little to lose.

I wish you well in all this.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Look into Subaru clubs in your area and ask if there's a shop that specializes in Subaru's. Take it to them and explain your situation. Work toward getting it repaired with them and forget the dealership—they're useless at this point. In my experience, independent shops that specialize in mostly one brand are more savvy than dealerships at getting things done. They just make things happen!

What is your location?

·
Registered
2018 Crosstrek Premium, Sunshine Orange
212 Posts
This is unfortunate, but nothing lasts forever. $4K to get a used engine with a 12/12 warranty does not sound like an outrageous price, but you can be certain that if a Subaru dealership is quoting that price, you could save money having the work done elsewhere.

Auto wrecking yards can be a good source for used engines, although it can be more difficult to find Subaru parts because there are fewer Subarus than most other makes. In addition to local wrecking yards, there are online sites that gather information from yards nationwide. While the prices for engines from wrecked vehicles can look good, there are additional risks and it would be unlikely that you could get any warranty, but the savings might justify the risk.

You need to ask yourself, however, not only what it would cost to get a working engine in your car, but also the value the car, both if repaired and also if sold for parts. Subarus are good at holding their value, but if there is body or interior damage or excess wear, the car may not be worth the cost to repair. And there may be other mechanical components that are wearing out. You need to consider that the cost of repairs is likely to increase with the years and miles. That said, if I was in your situation and the car was otherwise in good condition I would repace the engine, probably with a used engine but possibly using a short block.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I agree with Peter. Yes extended warranties are not cheap. But they give you peace of mind. Also of you use it..even though say it saves you $500 on the repair then you got the warranty $500 cheaper.
. Theses extended warranties are worthless at best..they don't make money paying claims....they make money BY DENYING CLAIMS...

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2019 Crosstrek Limited
893 Posts
. Theses extended warranties are worthless at best..they don't make money paying claims....they make money BY DENYING CLAIMS...
I think that's likely the case with dealer-backed or third-party warranties than with a SOA-backed warranty. If I were inclined to buy an extended warranty I would only buy the manufacturer's warranty.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Sorry to hear about your engine failure issue. I am in the same boat. And I am currently in a battle with Subaru over the same thing. 2014 Crosstrek, 79K miles, up to date service record. Got an engine knock, took it in, and they tell me the engine needs to be replaced. The dealer gives me a quote of $6400 for a new replacement engine and tells me to call Subaru of America and explain the situation and get a quote for the replacement. After some time, SoA offer to pay half of the repair cost. I was not too happy that Subaru was not stepping up, given that 79K miles is nothing on a car these days. We wait two weeks for the new engine to arrive. The dealer then proceeds to disassemble the engine and then calls me to tell me the engine damage is much worse than they originally thought, and that it'll cost me an additional $6000. WTF!?! Yeah. So they want $12,400 for a new engine for a vehicle with a Blue Book value of $11K. My first question was I am getting a new engine, so what does it matter that the old engine has "additional internal damage." Ends up that they we not giving me a providing a actual "new" engine, they were providing "refurbished engine block" and that they would be reusing all the original internal parts. Bunch of BS. Fraud. Complete bait and switch. When called on it, SoA says it's my problem and is not willing to do anything else. So now we have an attorney and are taking it to the next level. Oh and now Subaru wants to charge me an additional $1000 for disassembling the engine and they want to charge me $35 a day for storing the car, they've had the car since April 13th.

A few things to be aware of. There was a class action lawsuit for the 2.0 FB motor that extends the Drive Train warranty to 8 years/100k miles for the 2013 model and manual transmission 2014 models.

The original service bulletin from the lawsuit was updated in 2016, based on a second lawsuit, to include the 2014 and 2015 Crosstrek model with the manual transmission. I spoke with the attorney from the lawsuit and asked why the CVT model was not included, and he said that at the time, there were not enough CVT model owner complaints. BTW, the transmission warranty was extended to 8 years/100K miles for the 2014 model.

There currently is no pending class action lawsuits happening with this model and I was advised by the attorney to sue Subaru directly.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the recent misfortune of my 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek engine failing at 85,000 miles due to being "rod knocked." I was told that the engine must be replaced. I regularly changed the oil on my vehicle and feel confident that something unusual has gone awry. Everything was working perfectly and then it suddenly began clanking and rattling on the highway. I've emailed customer service and hope to speak with them tomorrow.

My question is with regard to my best options as far as engine replacement go. The Subaru parts department has located a used motor with 60,000 miles on it that they can install for me for a total price of 3974$ (parts, labor, fluid refills, hoses, tax etc.) With this I would receive a warranty for 12 months or 12,000 miles.

This seems like a reasonable price point to me, but I am nervous now that something of this sort could happen again and would ideally like a longer warranty. I am just not entirely sure if it is worth the extra money to have a longer warranty and am of course very disappointed to spend this money as I did not imagine I would to have to replace my engine at 85,000 miles.

If I were to choose to get a new factory engine I am told it would be about double the price, but that the parts department would only be able to get a new short block factory engine and this engine would then need to be added to to make it a long block engine. If I were to do this I would then receive a 3 year or 36,000 mile warranty.
Of course this warranty option is better, but I am wanting advice as I know my 2014 XV Crosstrek isn't worth what it was when I bought it, and I'm wondering if it's worth it to spend the money with the additional risk of the new engine having to be modified to create a long block.

I'm also curious about how the value of my vehicle will increase or decrease with these engine replacement options. I'm imagining a new engine would possibly increase it's value whereas a used motor would decrease it, but I am not sure by how much or if in both cases a new engine would decrease the car's value regardless.

Any opinions as to the best course of action are greatly appreciated. Kind Regards.

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
8,178 Posts
Lots of posts here about this...

I'd like to know if these are Subaru warranties or dealers' "added value" worthless warranties...

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Lots of posts here about this...

I'd like to know if these are Subaru warranties or dealers' "added value" worthless warranties...
I had the OEM Subaru 5 year gold plus warranty that cost me little over $1100 in 2014 and it was worth every penny because I got one of the stinkers off the Japanese assembly line (code name "Crossturd") 2 Wheel bearings, axle shaft, AC compressor and condenser, idler pulleys and belt tensioner. At 76K when another axle started clicking, CVT shudders, bucking, surging and engine oil consumption were getting worse, I traded Crossturd like a hot potato (for top dollar).
Share the lov!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts