Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2017 Crosstrek with 37,000 miles on it had a major engine problem. It was hard to start and after starting it had no power. Had it towed to Subaru and they found
some of the rocker arms had came off and some valves were stuck. They repaired. Wondered if anyone else had a similar problem.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2019 Crosstrek Limited
948 Posts
They fixed it for free. Just wondering if this is a common problem.
It has not been a common problem reported on this forum. In addition, Consumer Reports rates the 2017 Crosstrek's engine reliability as "much better than average" which is it's highest rating.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Unfortunately the engine is a pretty sophisticated mechanical instrument, and it is inevitable that there will be failures, glad they fixed it.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Consumer Reports does not allow its name or content to be used in advertising.

·
Registered
2017 Crosstrek Limited
1,236 Posts
True that, but Subaru does "advertise" the CR ratings pretty prominently on their website:

They do so legitimately IMHO. Subaru is truthfully reprinting CR's published findings.

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
8,442 Posts
True that, but Subaru does "advertise" the CR ratings pretty prominently on their website:

They do so legitimately IMHO. Subaru is truthfully reprinting CR's published findings.
CR has a good reputation and I'm sure quoting scores is a legitimate use. We use wine scores for promoting wines, for example, but have to be subscribed to the wine critic's site (e.g. Robert Parker).

·
Registered
2017 Crosstrek Limited
1,236 Posts
Their Commercial Use Policy. What they do NOT give permission to do with their content:

What We Don’t Grant Permission to Do
  • Use our name, ratings, or information in paid advertising, press releases, or any marketing materials. It is critical that consumers experience Consumer Reports’ content through our independent, objective voice. Questions? Please submit inquiries to consumerreports.org/licensing.
  • Excerpt our content in any way. Consumers should always have the full context of the information we provide.
  • Discuss the specific rating. You cannot list a product as “Rated #1 by Consumer Reports” or “Rated #1 by a leading consumer publication.”
CR's No Commerical Use Policy of their content is here:

Subaru may have asked and have been granted permission, but I doubt it. They also have links to CR videos.

·
Registered
2018 Orange Subaru Crosstrek Limited
425 Posts
I figure CR is the best information we can get. Even with a "Much Better than Average" score CR is only giving a statistical analysis. It's a bell curve not a single point. Within large populations who are sampled could easily be some failures that are washed out by the success of the majority. There should be a special category for samples of large populations that show no failures at all. Glad they fixed your car. Wondering if you have a manual transmission and previous owner over revved it.

·
Registered
2020 Premium 6MT
351 Posts
I figure CR is the best information we can get. Even with a "Much Better than Average" score CR is only giving a statistical analysis. It's a bell curve not a single point. Within large populations who are sampled could easily be some failures that are washed out by the success of the majority. There should be a special category for samples of large populations that show no failures at all. Glad they fixed your car. Wondering if you have a manual transmission and previous owner over revved it.
Or worse yet, lugged it. There are so many things one can do to cause an early engine failure. Over revving, over lugging, flooring it cold, not performing oil changes on time are just a few things.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The engine in my 2014 Crosstrek started to rattle yesterday, sounded like a loose valve. Took it to the dealer today, and within ten minutes the service tech told me the engine needed to be replaced. He didn't even look at it except to listen to it. That tells me Subaru knows these engines are garbage.

The car has 79K miles, Subaru does not want to fit the bill for replacing the engine. I have had the car into Subaru multiple times over the last four months because the Check Engine light constantly comes on, like within hours of getting the car back after being repaired. I know these things burn oil like crazy, so I keep the oil up and replace it often. Dealer had the car in February, replaced the oil then and said all was fine.

I know two other people locally with 2013 Crosstreks that both had to have their engines replaced within the last year, both less than 100K miles. Subaru picked up the bill for both of those after some pushback. Subaru is claiming that the 2014 has a different engine and "does not have the same issues related to the valve springs" as the 2013. Valve springs!?! I didn't bring up valve springs, they did. Total crap. Currently dealing with their Consumer Service Advisory people. I love driving the Crosstrek but after this, I'm never buying another Subaru.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Did you have any documented engine-related issues while you were still under the 5 year/60k mile warranty? If so use that as leverage.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just that I've been in numerous times, starting in 2015 for the check engine light being on, the dynamic control light and the cruise control working intermittently. Each time I was in, the oil was changed. The dealer was always concerned about my oil consumption, to the point that I made it a habit of changing it very 3000 miles. The check engine light would regularly come on about every three to six months or so, then more and more frequently, until recently where I was lucky if I could drive off the lot with out the light coming on, which the dealer explained away as an electrical ghost in the vehicle, quite common according to the dealer. Yeah....

I've kept the vehicle well maintained, and besides for regular maintenance item such as tires, brakes, and replacing the cheap *** dealer battery after a few years, it has never had any other issues. Pisses me off big time. I have a 2002 Nissan Frontier with 384K miles on it. The only thing I do to that is put gas in it, change the oil every year or so, and tune it up every eight to ten years whether it needs it or not. Passes California smog test every two years, never an issue.

One thing I found out in my internet sleuthing was that many of the 2013 XV Crosstrek models were covered under the settlement of a class action lawsuit related to oil consumption (see link below), and that those models had their drive train warranties extended to 8 years/100,000 miles. Which explains why the two people I know had their engines replaced and probably why Subaru is pushing back so hard about repairing my 2014 low mileage vehicle. I talked to one of the owners today who had his engine replaced recently. His history timeline of the check engine light is very similar to mine, including the story about the electrical ghost.

·
Registered
2020 Premium 6MT
351 Posts
I'd say it's time to write a letter to Subaru of America. Tell them how much you love the car, but you are so disappointed you can't see yourself ever buying another Subaru. I knew a guy who did that with a transmission replacement that was 6K miles out of warranty. 3 months later, SOA sent him a check for the entire cost of the transmission replacement.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yeah, I've been on the phone with Subaru of America all day. Been getting moved up the foodchain. They've decided they're willing to pony up 50% of the cost out of the goodness of their hearts but beyond that they're basically telling me to f*** off at this point, take the 50% or get zero. As far as they're concerned my car doesn't qualify under the class action lawsuit that covered the 2013 XV models, and that's not their problem. I don't think their customer service is what it used to be. Needless to say, I won't be buying another vehicle from them.

·
Registered
2017 Crosstrek Limited
1,236 Posts
I agree with Subaru Bill. It may not be what you want to hear, but you won't find many other car makers offering the same. I would seriously consider it before turning them down. I had a Lincoln MKZ that had 44,000 miles on it and JUST out of warranty. Had trouble with transmission. They wanted either $5600 to replace it or $2600 to tear it down to tell me what was wrong with it. I balked and talked to the General manager. His suggestion was to talk to the Sales manager and buy a new Lincoln. Like that was ever going to happen.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts